WonderCon 2024 McFarlane Toys Panel

JayC

Penguin looks solid, soft goods coat on Boomerang is iffy although material seems kinda cool, gives it ML Toybiz boxset Gambit coat vibes. Starfire at first seems okay but it's apparent they used some Knightfall Catwoman parts on her, which weren't the strongest sculpt. I hope we will get classic Starfire soon enough even better would be if she comes out in two pack with classic Raven.

Starfire and bomaring looks nice 👍🏻

I wish they were regular figures with price 

Dc multiverse reveals is the best .. 

I think they are all coming in 2024

I have a love hate thing for McFarlane DC multiverse .. because it's so desirable and in the same time the lack of availability 

7 hours ago, Shrief said:

Starfire and bomaring looks nice 👍🏻

I wish they were regular figures with price 

Dc multiverse reveals is the best .. 

I think they are all coming in 2024

I have a love hate thing for McFarlane DC multiverse .. because it's so desirable and in the same time the lack of availability 

Availability and the lack of quality between paint issues and the disproportionate sculpts. Really wish Mattel still had the license at this point to be honest.

On 3/31/2024 at 9:46 AM, JayC said:

You missed it, its one of his digital offerings.

Is it straight digital or is it going to be like the classic Hal Jordan/Aquaman where it's a figure with a digital code?

Only things here that remotely amuse me are Ambush Bug and that Giant Nightmare Bat.

also guess these Multiverse figures ain't coming out until 2025, sorry guys 😅

fire the power point presentation creator...

Wow! These seemed to be selling out fast. I ordered the bundle of 3 from MTS for just under $80 shipped after using the MTS10 code. The crappy part is that Todd now charges upfront rather than at release, of course.

I really want both versions of Starfire/Blackfire. Even cases of 6 for Starfire to guarantee a Platinum version were sold out already on MTS.  I have a slight preference for the Platinum Penguin but hate the platinum variant for Captain Boomerang (so that will likely be the only one that I end up with).

• Thanks 1

I guess they only made 2 Starfires since it sold out immediately seemingly everywhere. This is effing stupid. 

I know you read these, Todd. If you keep producing these in numbers that make it impossible to collect, upfront, you're going to lose collectors like me that have been doing this for over four decades and closing in on five. The same thing with this infatuation with Platinum chase figures for every single release. It's not the 90s and this sort of thing killed the comics and card industries. Collectors hate the practice and your chase figures are made up of the versions that collectors actually want and not the non-chase versions (in most cases so far). We also don't' want the trading cards or stand since few of us display figures with these items as I'm sure is intended. There are 500+ figures (or around there) in the line, so most simply don't have the room to do that. We also don't really need the figure stand you supply because it simply isn't a good stand. It's a plastic POG for most.

Try being consistent and put extra hands with all releases and try and match the details of the figure with the friggin artwork on the box for once. Also, little details like Alan Scott having his ring on the wrong hand or Classic Superman featuring the wrong belt and boots are things that more hardcore collectors look for and notice and it makes no sense for these things to be wrong on a so called Collector's line. The lack of attention to detail is amazing. You've dramatically improved the articulation to the line since the early days and it rivals import in most cases and destroys your competition domestically, so you've won that battle, now concentrate on this other front.

• Like 1

I do not understand why he is producing so few high demand figures (Wonder Woman, the Knightfall Batman figures, Starfire, Hathaway Catwoman, etc.) while some obviously less demanded figures are just everywhere.  You'd think Todd would have some feel for who is and isn't a popular DC character.

48 minutes ago, Jscott991 said:

I do not understand why he is producing so few high demand figures (Wonder Woman, the Knightfall Batman figures, Starfire, Hathaway Catwoman, etc.) while some obviously less demanded figures are just everywhere.  You'd think Todd would have some feel for who is and isn't a popular DC character.

I think it's more so that he has just reduced his production run quantities due to lessened demand from the retailers. Remember when everything was getting clearanced out everywhere for 50-75% off? There are ramifications of that. I feel like my local Target and especially Walmart have nearly stopped stocking these completely in the aftermath of that. My local Gamestop has continued to stock but at a fraction of what they used to. I've seen huge discounts from online only retailers as well (including BBTS, EE and Amazon). Even Todd's own store has been selling some DC Multiverse for as low as $5 each. Besides availability, another downside of lower production runs means they're less cost efficient to manufacture, which of course means cost increase passed on to the end customer. This isn't just McFarlane as this is happening with, but the big boys Hasbro and Mattel also, possibly even more so with Hasbro.

Also if you listen to Todd's interviews he always says that female figures don't sell so he doesn't like to make them... I bring that up because 3 of the 4 you listed above are female characters of course.

5 minutes ago, Reno said:

Also if you listen to Todd's interviews he always says that female figures don't sell so he doesn't like to make them... I bring that up because 3 of the 4 you listed above are female characters of course.

I mainly collect female DC figures so those are just the ones I could  name off the top of my head, but McFarlane's production runs for some other figures (classic designs usually) that aren't female have been very disappointing.

I mean he has to know that those weird Page Punchers things he just put up (and are still available everywhere) are going to sell less than a Black Knightfall Batman or classic Wonder Woman. I just don't understand what he's doing, even with his weird hatred of female figures.

1 hour ago, Jscott991 said:

McFarlane doesn't determine anything. He likely comes up with ideas and can then run them by the powers that be, but he can only sell/make what WB/DC tell him to make and/or approve. If they don't want specific characters touched then they don't get made.

Also, he'll have the numbers and if females are selling he'll move more in that direction as needed.

5 minutes ago, hainrs said:

McFarlane doesn't determine anything.

No according to McFarlane, he has full control of the the catalog of DC characters he says he can do going back to 1937. But Todd does what he wants to do and what he thinks will sell and has been mentioned he has often said he doesn't think female figures sell well even though ones like Wonder Woman and Starfire sold out immediately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There needs to be a youtube video by JayC or someone explaining how these figures sell out at the preorder level so quickly.  I just don't understand it.  Either MT aren't making enough to meet demand, or the stores don't want to risk them sitting in their warehouses for months unordered.  Hasbro can make enough GI Joes and Marvel Legends that they last ages before selling out, if they sell out at all.  Why can't McFarlane Toys?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayC said:

No according to McFarlane, he has full control of the the catalog of DC characters he says he can do going back to 1937. But Todd does what he wants to do and what he thinks will sell and has been mentioned he has often said he doesn't think female figures sell well even though ones like Wonder Woman and Starfire sold out immediately.

todd mcfarlane himself doesnt determine anything and doesnt control anything. he also cant do what he wants either. hes a partial owner of a toy company. there are thousands of employees and other owners and countless executives that tend to make the decisions. its similiar to every other large corporation. why does everyone assume this man handpicks and then handcrafts all the sculpts. mcfarlane himself just counts money and laughs at internet marks all day and occasionally draws some spawn comics.

1 hour ago, Y_The_Last_Nerd said:

There needs to be a youtube video by JayC or someone explaining how these figures sell out at the preorder level so quickly.  I just don't understand it.  Either MT aren't making enough to meet demand, or the stores don't want to risk them sitting in their warehouses for months unordered.  Hasbro can make enough GI Joes and Marvel Legends that they last ages before selling out, if they sell out at all.  Why can't McFarlane Toys?

you answered your own question

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Monstrous said:

todd mcfarlane himself doesnt determine anything and doesnt control anything. he also cant do what he wants either. hes a partial owner of a toy company. there are thousands of employees and other owners and countless executives that tend to make the decisions. its similiar to every other large corporation. why does everyone assume this man handpicks and then handcrafts all the sculpts. mcfarlane himself just counts money and laughs at internet marks all day and occasionally draws some spawn comics.

LOL he is full owner. The buck stops with him and he has no problems saying that. Your right he counts money but he also pretty much does what he wants.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Y_The_Last_Nerd said:

I have actually done videos talking about it multiple times and warned that toy companies and retailers this year were cutting back production and ordering to avoid what happened last year with everything ending up at Ollies and Ross. There is also the scarcity  marketing tactics at play.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2024 at 4:48 PM, JayC said:

It doesn't matter what he says. He still has to clear everything he wants to do with WB/DC just like every other toy company that makes licensed figures has to do (unless they specifically own the property outright). If he could do anything he wanted then he'd include guns with characters that are supposed to have guns. He can't because WB/DC, the licensor, says he can't. The same is true for the characters he can release. Sure, he can go all the way back when putting together an assortment, but that assortment still has to be cleared by the owners of the property.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JayC said:

LOL he is full owner. The buck stops with him and he has no problems saying that. Your right he counts money but he also pretty much does what he wants.

https://mcfarlane.com/info/about-us/

i mean the official site confirms that he isnt the full owner, so...

i always wondered why you never reported it when you posted about the return of sportspicks, but i guess you never knew. the only way he could get the official sports licenses back was by letting imports dragon buy into his company. why do you think the nhl and mlb molds are identical to imports dragon?  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hainrs said:

It doesn't matter what he says. He still has to clear everything he wants to do with WB/DC just like every other toy company that makes licensed figures has to do (unless they specifically own the property outright). If he could do anything he wanted then he'd include guns with characters that are supposed to have guns. He can't because WB/DC, the licensor, says he can't. The same is true for the characters he can release. Sure, he can go all the way back when putting together an assortment, but that assortment still has to be cleared by the owners of the property.

exactly. and its not him personally doing anything. hes basically a figure head. like jeremy padawer with jazwares. they reveal stuff, they hype stuff, they say crazy things to get the internet buzzing, but they really have nothing to do with the actual creative process.

• Thanks 1