McFarlane Toys 30th Anniversary Gold Label Spawn/Todd McFarlane 2-pack Coming Soon!

Announced today during the 30th Anniversary of McFarlane Toys press release, news came out that there will be an upcoming McFarlane Toys 30th Anniversary Gold Label Spawn/Todd McFarlane 2-pack coming soon!

February 7, 2024 – McFarlane Toys, a trailblazer in the realm of action figures and collectibles, proudly marks its 30th anniversary in 2024 – commemorating three decades of innovation by setting new standards for the toy industry and design excellence.

What began as a small, privately owned business in the early 90’s has evolved into an industry leader, defying the odds against Fortune 500 companies, and maintaining its private ownership throughout its impressive journey.

Founded in 1994 by the visionary Todd McFarlane, the company has continually redefined the possibilities within the world of action figures. At the core of McFarlane Toys’ success is Todd McFarlane’s iconic creation, SPAWN, which stands as one of the world’s best-selling comic books, with hundreds of millions of copies sold globally in over 120 countries. The title’s 1992 debut was a massive success with over 1.7 million copies sold, marking a pivotal moment in the future establishment of McFarlane Toys. SPAWN’s aesthetic appealed to toy industry giants, and several wanted to create figures based on it. However, McFarlane’s goal was to create hyper-realistic and articulated action figures that were not yet available on the market. Todd’s forward-thinking led McFarlane Toys to introduce the first ultra-articulated action figure to the market in the early 90s, setting a new standard for the industry. His innovative approach extended to coloring as well, as McFarlane Toys became the first to incorporate a rich and diverse palette, offering fans an impressive array of colors and designs on their figures – a groundbreaking move that preceded industry norms at the time. This distinctive style, marked by revolutionary articulation and vibrant coloring, has since become McFarlane Toys’ signature look, influencing other toy companies to follow suit.

Throughout the years, McFarlane Toys has expanded its influence by partnering with industry giants like DC Comics, Disney, James Cameron’s Avatar, Warner Brothers, HBO’s Game of Thrones, Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty, AMC’s The Walking Dead, and Five Nights at Freddy’s. They’ve also collaborated with iconic and influential figures across various industries, such as Tim Burton, Ozzy Osbourne, KISS, and multiple stars from the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB, among others.

To reach audiences worldwide, McFarlane Toys has formed strategic partnerships with consumer giants such as Amazon, Target, Walmart, BestBuy, and GameStop. These collaborations aim to bring their high-quality action figures to fans and collectors everywhere, further solidifying McFarlane Toys’ presence and influence in a competitive market.

This strategic growth underscores the company’s 30-year commitment to resilience and continuous pursuit of excellence in an ever-evolving industry. The company’s continued and unwavering dedication to authenticity and attention to detail has cultivated a dedicated global fan base, positioning McFarlane Toys as a leader in the world of collectible action figures.

In addition to its creative achievements, McFarlane Toys consistently earns recognition at the Toy Industry Foundation’s annual ‘Toy of the Year’ Awards, for its significant industry contributions. The company has also secured the position of the #1 best-selling action figure on Amazon several times and earned the prestigious ‘Top-Selling Action Figure and Accessories for the U.S. and Canada’ at The NPD’s 2021 Toy Industry Performance Awards.

To commemorate this extraordinary milestone, McFarlane Toys will release several limited edition and exclusive Gold Label figures. Noteworthy among them is a compelling two-pack featuring a SPAWN figure based on Todd’s original teenage design and sketches, paired with a figure of Todd himself. Fans can anticipate an array of exciting releases, social media contests, and announcements throughout the anniversary year.

Follow McFarlane Toys on social (@mcfarlane_toys_official on Instagram) and visit the official website at www.mcfarlane.com for exciting updates and announcements. As McFarlane Toys looks back on 30 years of groundbreaking achievements, the company remains committed to pushing boundaries and delivering exceptional collectibles destined to be cherished for years to come.

Todd.jpg

7 minutes ago, toynewman said:

"...a SPAWN figure based on Todd’s original teenage design and sketches"

So... Todd first came up with the idea of Spawn when he was a teenager?  I wonder what that design looked like.  Or (less likely) was Spawn originally conceived to *be* a teenager?  Either way you know this super duper special two pack is gonna be $60-$80, the way Todd's been going lately. 

I do give him a lot of crap, but he has achieved quite a bit with his company, has heavily influenced the industry-- particularly in terms of upping the game on details back in the day, and I congratulate him on the 30 years.

I did find this one line kind of funny, though; "Todd’s forward-thinking led McFarlane Toys to introduce the first ultra-articulated action figure to the market in the early 90s, setting a new standard for the industry..." since so much of the output that followed was admittedly very detailed, but saddled with like 2-3 points of articulation each.  Basically he set an articulation standard that he absolutely abandoned for a number of years.  Just statues that you can sometimes swivel the head on and utilize one-directional arm movement.  I'm glad he made his way back from that. 

8 minutes ago, RobertD said:

So... Todd first came up with the idea of Spawn when he was a teenager?  I wonder what that design looked like.  Or (less likely) was Spawn originally conceived to *be* a teenager?  Either way you know this super duper special two pack is gonna be $60-$80, the way Todd's been going lately. 

I do give him a lot of crap, but he has achieved quite a bit with his company, has heavily influenced the industry-- particularly in terms of upping the game on details back in the day, and I congratulate him on the 30 years.

I did find this one line kind of funny, though; "Todd’s forward-thinking led McFarlane Toys to introduce the first ultra-articulated action figure to the market in the early 90s, setting a new standard for the industry..." since so much of the output that followed was admittedly very detailed, but saddled with like 2-3 points of articulation each.  Basically he set an articulation standard that he absolutely abandoned for a number of years.  Just statues that you can sometimes swivel the head on and utilize one-directional arm movement.  I'm glad he made his way back from that. 

Not gonna lie......I'm down for Spawn/Todd pack LOL

1 hour ago, toynewman said:

Not gonna lie......I'm down for Spawn/Todd pack LOL

I'm admittedly intrigued myself, but if the final product doesn't impress it's not going to leave a hole in my heart to pass it by. 

2 minutes ago, Frozentenderloin said:

Found an old McFarlane blog post from 2019 with some early Spawn sketches. IDK if these are what the figure would be based on, but I thought it was interesting nonetheless.

https://mcfarlane.com/blog/early-sketches-spawn/

Also found this picture which according to his facebook is his first spawn art from '77 No photo description available.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Frozentenderloin said:

Also found this picture which according to his facebook is his first spawn art from '77 No photo description available.

I want a 2 pack with both of these characters 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

really interested in OG Sketch Spawn, really wonder what variation he would go with, it's a fun concept, I'm already on board, but a Todd figure? HA, only Todd would be that person, He's a huge fan of himself, not sure I'd want a Todd figure, but maybe it's gonna be just fun-Silly enough and quirky I need it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As goofy as it is, I gotta give props to the attention to detail. If I remember right from a Wizard article (I think), Todd usually works bare footed. And the bracelet is something I've noticed from pics too.

I adore the Spawn, I would have jumped on getting just the Spawn, but that Todd is so awful looking, it's not even like quirky fun, it's so oddly proportioned, he's too spindly, it's just not good. The Spawn is so cool though, I'm sure however that Spawn will be released again in some way, Todd wouldn't let that just be a 1 and done. I will wait.

Shown below is the new McFarlane Toys 30th Anniversary Gold Label Spawn & Todd McFarlane 2-pack is available for pre-order from Amazon and from our sponsors BigBadToyStore.com and Entertainment Earth with a suggested retail price of $49.99.

Over 30 years ago, the character of Spawn was introduced to the public by his acclaimed creator, Todd McFarlane. Now, the best-selling and Record-Breaking Comic Book is selling strong across the globe. For the first time, Al Simmons, former soldier, CIA operative, Hellspawn and Todd Mcfarlane artist writer, creator, are together in this collector's 2-pack.

• Incredibly detailed 7” scale figures based on TODD McFARLANE'S SPAWN comic books and Spawn creator Todd McFarlane
• Designed with Ultra Articulation with up to 22 moving parts for full range of posing and play
• Spawn figure includes 2 necroplasm effects, 2 extra hands and figure display base
• Todd figure includes badge, notepad, microphone, 4 extra hands, extra bare feet and figure display base
• Includes collectible art card with character art on the front, and character biography on the back
• Collect all McFARLANE TOYS SPAWN figures

00.jpg

000.jpg

00000.jpg

000000.jpg

0000000.jpg

Todd.Spawn.01.jpg

Todd.Spawn.02.jpg

Todd.Spawn.03.jpg

Todd.Spawn.04.jpg

Todd.Spawn.05.jpg

Todd.Spawn.06.jpg

Todd.Spawn.07.jpg

Todd.Spawn.08.jpg

Todd.Spawn.09.jpg

Man... They really made Todd tall compared to Spawn.

I spent quite a bit of time with Todd at MegaCon in Orlando back in 96, and he was much shorter than I am. I am 6'2", so unless Spawn is supposed to be around 5, 5 1/2 feet tall, the heights on these seem off to me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Imagine that. The biggest ego in the business finally found a BS excuse good enough to justify making an action statue of himself. I'm surprised he didn't value it a lot more than it already is. I'm wondering why he didn't include an accessory of the baseball he blew his fortune on.