Mattel Announces Collaboration Between Masters of the Universe and Paramount’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

JayC

Today Mattel issued a press release announcing their new collaboration between its celebrated brand, Masters of the Universe and the iconic franchise, Paramount’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with a new toyline called Masters of the Universe Origins Turtles of Grayskull. While official images for these figures have yet to be released, we did get a glimpse at one back during Toy Fair. See the press release below:

Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAT) announced today the collaboration between its celebrated brand, Masters of the Universe and the iconic franchise, Paramount’s Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, to unveil The Masters of the Universe Origins Turtles of Grayskull toy line. Combining the power of Eternia with the sewer-dwelling heroes of New York, The Masters of the Universe Origins Turtles of Grayskull toy line represents an exciting overlap of two beloved worlds to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in 2024.

The partnership between Masters of the Universe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles allows fans to create new storytelling moments with the Turtles of Grayskull line which outfits characters including Leonardo and Raphael, Donatello, and Michelangelo with Eternian-style battle gear, and He-Man from Masters of the Universe will battle his Mutagen Mutation while Skeletor will don Turtle-inspired Armor. Merging these worlds, which are both narratively jam-packed with creative possibility, unlocks even more storytelling opportunities for fans across both brands.

“Bringing the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles into Masters of the Universe is a dream come true for many action figure fans. This is an unprecedented moment to collide fan-favorite properties – never been done before in the rich history of both brands,” said PJ Lewis, VP and Global Head of Action Figures at Mattel. “This collaboration represents two great brands that will ignite the imaginations of fans young and old alike.”

“It’s thrilling to see this special collection between Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Masters of the Universe come to fruition,” said Dion Vlachos, Executive Vice President, Licensing and Retail, Consumer Products & Experiences, Paramount. “Two incredibly popular franchises with multi-generational appeal coming together for a one-of-a-kind crossover toy line is something we know fans will embrace.”

Prepare to have the legendary characters of Masters of the Universe and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles united like never before, bringing a new dimension of excitement to both universes! The Masters of the Universe Origins Turtles of Grayskull toy line will be available starting in January 2024.

MOTU_x_TMNT_Poster.jpg

• Thanks 1

Seems strange to put out promo art with the standard versions of the characters if the idea is to mix the properties, unless they haven't fully ironed out what their design choices are going to be just yet.  But that doesn't jibe with a January release.  Surely they're further along, so why wouldn't they have someone whip up some promotional art that actually represents the intended product?  Odd choice, indeed. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, RobertD said:

Seems strange to put out promo art with the standard versions of the characters if the idea is to mix the properties, unless they haven't fully ironed out what their design choices are going to be just yet.  But that doesn't jibe with a January release.  Surely they're further along, so why wouldn't they have someone whip up some promotional art that actually represents the intended product?  Odd choice, indeed. 

Agreed.  This line is one of the worst kept secrets out there but they are refusing to show us images still?  I mean just take my preorder already.

These are not good at all IMHO! They make the WWE crossovers look ingenious. These don't look like much thought went into them at all. They don't even look like actually crossovers. For the most part they look like variants.

Yeah currently on the fence with these, when they first announced they were doing this, I thought wow cool, major fun potential, but I'm not sure now, I do like Leo, Donny, He-Man and Krang, the other 2 not so much, I'll wait and look at these more, might get em, at this point they feel a bit passable.

Shown below are packaging images for some of the upcoming new Masters of the Universe Origins Turtles of Grayskull figures coming from Mattel. This mash-up line between He-Man and the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was officially announced earlier this week.

Shown here are Leonardo, Donatello, Mutagen He-man and Man-at-Arms. Not shown but revealed the other day are Trap Jaw and Krang.

Still no word from Mattel on how much these will retail for or when and where we might see them released.

MOTUTMNT-00.jpg

MOTUTMNT-09.jpg

MOTUTMNT-08.jpg

MOTUTMNT-07.jpg

MOTUTMNT-06.jpg

MOTUTMNT-05.jpg

MOTUTMNT-04.jpg

MOTUTMNT-03.jpg

MOTUTMNT-02.jpg

MOTUTMNT-01.jpg

• Thanks 1

looking at the picture of Skeletor on the card art, why does he not look any different then he does normally? that's kinda lame, why doesn't he look like the rest? I was really hoping for a Slash/Skeletor mash up or something.

as I was earlier on the fence the more I see these figures the More I think I'm just gonna go in on them, likely them all except Man-At-Arms, since he hardly looks that different, and TrapJaw isn't doing it for me, but Don, Leo, He-Man and Krang I'mma get.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

looking at the picture of Skeletor on the card art, why does he not look any different then he does normally? that's kinda lame, why doesn't he look like the rest? I was really hoping for a Slash/Skeletor mash up or something.

as I was earlier on the fence the more I see these figures the More I think I'm just gonna go in on them, likely them all except Man-At-Arms, since he hardly looks that different, and TrapJaw isn't doing it for me, but Don, Leo, He-Man and Krang I'mma get.

I'd like to see skeletor and shredder combined.  But I wouldn't worry yet.  Heman looks normal on the card fronts as well.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MagnaPrime said:

I'd like to see skeletor and shredder combined.  But I wouldn't worry yet.  Heman looks normal on the card fronts as well.

Yeah just realized that, guess it just doesn't make sense Ha, so that does give me hope that we are going to see Skeletor in a mash-up form.

really I'll buy all of the characters who are Ninja Turtles, and all of the MOTU characters who look different enough, since I'm going to pop em into my MOTU Origins Displays, I just don't like doubling on characters in the MOTU universe, Mutant He-Man can easily be a alt mutant version of He-Man much like Anti-Eternia He-Man wasn't exactly he-man, basically I;ll buy any figure that can exist technically ona self together.

• Thanks 1

Yesterday we showed you the cardbacks for the first wave of figures in Mattel's new TMNT and MOTU mash-up line titled Masters of the Universe Origins Turtles of Grayskull. The first wave looks to include figures of Leonardo, Donatello, Mutagen He-man and Man-at-Arms. We also have seen figures for Trap Jaw and Krang with Android Body.

Now thanks to Roy Juarez we have a better look at the artwork featured on those wave one cardbacks which gives us looks at other characters likely slated to get the figure treatment as well as a potential playset.

Below we have a look at what appears to be Beast Man along with Shredder who at least starting out seems to keep his basic TMNT look without any real MOTU influences. We also see what appears to be a variation of Mattel's classic MOTU Slime Pit playset, likely now to be labeled Shredder's Mutagen Slime Pit. Whether this is something that actually gets made into a new toy remains unknown but it seems like a good bet. Check out the images below.

MOTU-TMNT-Art 1.jpg

MOTU-TMNT-Art 2.jpg

MOTU-TMNT-Art 3.jpg

MOTU-TMNT-Art 4.jpg

MOTU-TMNT-Art 5.jpg

MOTU-TMNT-Art 6.jpg

MOTU-TMNT-Art.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dimensions collide as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and their mutant foes join the Masters of the Universe in a new Spring ‘24 catalog. Introducing the Masters of the Universe Origins Turtles of Grayskull, featuring Mutated He-man, Leonardo, Donatello, Man-at-Arms, Raphael Mutated Ram-man, Shredder, Beast Man, Mouse-Jaw, Sla'ker, Krang and Mutated Moss-man coming soon!

MOTU-TMNT-01.jpg

MOTU-TMNT-02.jpg

MOTU-TMNT-03.jpg

MOTU-TMNT-04.jpg

• Thanks 1

Well, I'll add Shredder and Sla'ker to my list of orders, maybe even Moss Man, but this line seems all over the place.  Is Beast Man wearing a version of Leo's Samurai armor?  Don't exactly love that they doubled down on Ram Man stuff, never liked the character much (mostly because I hated the original toy) and it's not like they don't have a million different characters from both lines to choose from when it comes to mixing and matching.  No idea why they'd do any repeats, but they've done that with him and Man-at-arms so far. 

• Like 1