NECA Gargoyles Ultimate Hudson Review and Images

ToyFarce

Hudson.jpgIt's Wednesday, and you know what that means... ToyFarce review!

This week, we're having a look at the Gargoyle Ultimate Hudson figure from NECA. Continuing on the NECA backlog during their Haulathon month, I've had Hudson for a while and it was time to set him free. Hudson is the oldest and wisest character in the Gargoyles animated series, and mentor to Goliath. He was voiced by Ed Asner. I am glad he came out early on in the line, I feel like he would have been overshadowed by the other members of the Manhattan Clan if they would have all been released before him.

As usual with NECA, the art box looks great. It's pretty big next to other NECA figure boxes too.

Hudson comes with an extra headsculpt (screaming), 5 extra hands, poseable wings, a bendy tail and his sword. Like the other Gargoyles figures before him, his wings are HUGE, and I can't wait for another figure to come with his closed wings (like Goliath's draped wings that came with Bronx), because I cannot display him with his wings wide open. Between the tail and the wings, the Gargoyles figures take a lot of shelf space. On the other hand, they are absolutely gorgeous. The NECA spin on them, where they look just like in the animated series, but with a bit of realistic touch on the design, looks amazing on this figure too. Both heads have great details. I don't see how that figure could have looked better. Articulation wise, it is the same as the other Gargoyles figures before it. The parts are easily swappable. Another home run from NECA.

The next ones scheduled to be released are Brooklyn and Broadway, with a lot more to come, as seen on the '12 days of Downloads' checklists that NECA revealed during the holiday season.

More news at 11:00... "Leave me be... and STOP calling me 'old'!

Hudson (1).jpg

Hudson (2).jpg

Hudson (3).jpg

Hudson (4).jpg

Hudson (5).jpg

Hudson (6).jpg

Hudson (7).jpg

Hudson (8).jpg

Hudson (9).jpg

Hudson (10).jpg

Hudson (11).jpg

Hudson (12).jpg

While I am collecting Neca's GARGOYLES line and find the sculpt work to be excellent, I do find the WINGS on all the figures to be a PROBLEM, as follows:

1) The connecting peg that enters into the back of the figures are weak and cause the wings to drop down (especially with Goliath); and

2) They needed to be better engineered.  Each wing should have been 2 pieces with a top joint to open, close & fold back into itself and not a permanent 1 piece open position. (Example: DC Universe Classics Hawkman wings).

Perhaps Neca, realizing these problems, can later offer better replacement jointed wings (I'm not a fan of the only other option being the draped wings packed with Bronx).  Otherwise, in the meantime, we'll have to find other solutions & plenty of shelf space.

• Like 1