Super7 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ULTIMATES! Rat King Tease

toynewman

It looks like a Canadian retailer by the name of Djccollectibles.ca has jumped the gun and listed the 10th wave of TMNT Ultimates figures from Super7 early. These aren't supposed to go up for pre-order until tomorrow (03/10), which is when you will see places like our sponsors Entertainment Earth and BigBadToyStore.com offer them.

Anyway it looks like the wave is going to include figures of Rat King, Casey Jones (Mirage), Classic Rocker Leo and Ninja April.

TMNT-01.jpg

TMNT-02.jpg

TMNT-03.jpg

TMNT-04.jpg

• Thanks 1

Man, I am so disappointed in that Rat King. The head sculpt doesn’t seem like it’s even attempting to capture the spirit of the vintage figure. Not sure what Super7 is thinking here, as this feels like a deviation from the entire point of this line. 

My severe disappointment comes from the fact that this my favorite TMNT line. I have loved getting updates to the original figures, and I think they’ve done an outstanding job so far. This is my first major letdown. I hope they fix his head before release. Please give us a proper vintage-toy-inspired head. 

• Thanks 1

Well, looks like I'm done with TMNT Ultimates. The entire reason I bought in was because these figures were remakes of the original Playmates toys. And now that Playmates is reportedly meddling with those plans, that scuttles the aesthetic. No interest in that Rat King.

2 hours ago, kendallpride3000 said:

Man, I am so disappointed in that Rat King. The head sculpt doesn’t seem like it’s even attempting to capture the spirit of the vintage figure. Not sure what Super7 is thinking here, as this feels like a deviation from the entire point of this line. 

My severe disappointment comes from the fact that this my favorite TMNT line. I have loved getting updates to the original figures, and I think they’ve done an outstanding job so far. This is my first major letdown. I hope they fix his head before release. Please give us a proper vintage-toy-inspired head. 

The rumor is that Playmates has been interfering with Super 7's plan to use their designs for certain figures. It started with Sgt. Bananas being turned into Guerilla Gorilla, and now this off-base Rat King. 

• Thanks 1

What. The. ****.

Smh...probably the oddest toy related reveal I've seen in the past couple of years. Rat king was the ONLY one of interest to a lot of folks. They might as well have put a head sculpt of Brian Flynn on that thing because he looks nothing like Rat King. If that's what's to come going forward then without the nostalgic feel....what's the point?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PlasticMemories said:

The rumor is that Playmates has been interfering with Super 7's plan to use their designs for certain figures. It started with Sgt. Bananas being turned into Guerilla Gorilla, and now this off-base Rat King. 

That's really a shame - I was just thinking the other day about how I wanted to see them take on classic Rat King and this is not what I expected. The original had bugs crawling on him and crazy eyes and was generally very sinister. Both the animated and toy versions from what a brief search returns had very square jawed faces while this sculpt looks much younger and cleaner. If playmates is throwing a wrench this late in the game they should just drop it and get some of their licensing fee back because that's a jerk move to wait this long - though I admit I don't know the full story and maybe they were always supposed to "re-imagine" the designs instead of just redoing the exact same design larger with more technically detailed sculpting.

• Like 1

It just doesn't make sense for Super7 to start a Playmates nostalgia line and then shift course 10 waves later. In this interview from last year with Pixel Dan, Brian Flynn talks about there being rights issues with certain characters and having to alter their plans, including Sgt. Bananas. It sounds like a wrench was thrown in the works, not something that was planned.

https://youtu.be/nJocMokEB4s?t=579

• Thanks 1

Even if they couldn't do the original Rat King, why wouldn't they cover it with other gross details and whacky acessories? Muck it up.

I'd like S7 doing their own designs, if it captures the spirit. Facr is just too rocknroll, I hope they revise the fig and accessories and willing to wait. 

If Playmates is worried about sales of an original Rat King recast, I would want both, if they both look right.

• Thanks 1

Super7 briefly placed an image of Wave 10 of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ULTIMATES today that INCLUDED a Karai Figure. The image was then removed and the figure did not end up going for pre-order. No word on when or why the figure was pulled or if we'll see her included down the road in a future wave. As always stay tuned here for any info!

Wave 10 which includes Rat King, Casey Jones (Mirage), Classic Rocker Leo and Ninja April should go up for pre-order after 3 pm EST at places like our sponsors BigBadToyStore.com and Entertainment Earth!

Karai.0.jpg

Karai.1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Karai would be nice.  I actually like the Ninja April, but I don't pre-order anything with a human face from Super7.  They kill it on a number of sculpts and paint jobs, but human faces seem to be their weakest point.  Best to wait and see what the actual product looks like, in my view. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, RobertD said:

Karai would be nice.  I actually like the Ninja April, but I don't pre-order anything with a human face from Super7.  They kill it on a number of sculpts and paint jobs, but human faces seem to be their weakest point.  Best to wait and see what the actual product looks like, in my view. 

I don't think you have to be psychic to say you'll eventually be able to get this wave on discount.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, kendallpride3000 said:

So true, your exactly on the money with this. Give us the vintage figures we want

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, ULTIMATECAP23 said:

So true, your exactly on the money with this. Give us the vintage figures we want

It's funny the vintage styling is what kept me from getting to heavy into this line.  I mean I have the Turtles, Splinter and Casey but always passed because of that look for others.  Funny how different strokes for different folks.  I'm actually looking forward to Ninja April and Rat King. 

• Thanks 1

Rat King does not look right, as many have stated I thought this line was about making highly articulated offerings of the original line, Rat King isn't that, but I guess as some have commented Playmates wasn't playing fair, I hope people eventually get a corrected Rat King, if I was collecting this line I'd pass on Rat King because it doesn't fit. I really like the look of this Ninja April and Karai, cool figures though.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Super7 announced on the Fwoosh Cast that they are pulling back on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Wave 10 ULTIMATES to pull out Rat King and he will be replaced with Karai. Rat King will be moved to Wave 11 with a revised look. Look for an announcement from Super7 in the near future.

The wave as is currently up for pre-order at places like our sponsors BigBadToyStore.com and Entertainment Earth!

00.jpg

• Thanks 1