If You Are Reading This Then You Are Likely Now Known As A "Kidult" And Keeping The Toy Industry Afloat

JayC

NBC ran an interesting article today about adults who buy toys for themselves which probably describes 99% of the people who come to this website.

So first they have created a new name for us, we are now known as "Kidults". I prefer "Adult Action Figure Collector" but I guess "Kidult" is more catchy.

Even more interesting however is the article points out that we adult collectors now make up the biggest source of growth in the toy industry. That we make up 1/4th of all toy sales annually which equates to and estimated $9 billion worth. This is according to the NPD Group who is defining the demographic as 12 years and older.

The article goes on to say that adult collectors In the last 12 (Ending in September) represented 60% of the dollar growth in the industry and right now we are the reason there is growth in this industry.

So let that sink in a bit. 20 years ago when first I started this website, "Adult Collectors" was barley a blip on any of these toy companies radar and now we are their primary source of sales in the industry.

Adult-Collectors.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JayC said:

NBC ran an interesting article today about adults who buy toys for themselves which probably describes 99% of the people who come to this website.

So first they have created a new name for us, we are now known as "Kidults". I prefer "Adult Action Figure Collector" but I guess "Kidult" is more catchy.

Even more interesting however is the article points out that we adult collectors now make up the biggest source of growth in the toy industry. That we make up 1/4th of all toy sales annually which equates to and estimated $9 billion worth. This is according to the NPD Group who is defining the demographic as 12 years and older.

The article goes on to say that adult collectors In the last 12 (Ending in September) represented 60% of the dollar growth in the industry and right now we are the reason there is growth in this industry.

So let that sink in a bit. 20 years ago when first I started this website, "Adult Collectors" was barley a blip on any of these toy companies radar and now we are their primary source of sales in the industry.

Adult-Collectors.jpg

Dumb name that we didn't need, but now we can quote the article the next time somebody says that we make up a tiny fraction of the market.

• Thanks 1

I knew this like 10 years ago. I work in retail at wallyworld and kids just buy legos or fads and pokemon cards and video games they can't afford some of these toy lines. Adults I think make up about 1/2 of the action  figure sales in this country  maybe  in the world except  for legos and possibly  wrestling  figures. But kids aren't  buying  Star wars or gijoe and maybe transformers not sure on marvel  legends  but I don't  think so. Kids are getting  legos or fortnite figures or video game related toys or pokemon  cards.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Action figures hooked me back in to buying them with Toy Biz's Spider-Man. The figures are quite crappy by today's standards but they were great at the time. Spidey was a big part of my childhood and I wish I'd had figures that cool as a child. Their whole 5 inch line was really cool and I went in deep. Then Marvel Legends came out. Wow. Whole other level. I've seen more and more adults in the toy aisles hunting for figures over the years. Now it's all online which just makes it easier. There's just so many quality figures being made, I see no reason to stop. 

The name "kidult" is a bit lame though. I'm saying this as someone who embraces being a Trekkie. 

• Thanks 1

What collector hasn’t known this for years. I hardly ever see a kid looking much less picking up a marvel legend or a gi classified or anything similar. The only people who haven’t seemed to realize this are the companies that make these figures who continue to claim that these figures are for kids and bought by kids or adults for gifts to kids. Typically the only kids I see at retail or toy shows/conventions are kids with collector parents. 

• Like 1

Even though its a single, 2 syllable word, Kidult doesnt quite roll off the tongue like adult collector. But whatever, labels really dont matter in this instance but, its cool that others are finally catching on to the fact that adults are the ones primarily buying toys for themselves. 

5 hours ago, MagnaPrime said:

Just a little annoyed they are still trying to imply that we are somehow not fully functioning adults.  They have to disparage what they don't understand.  

I don’t think they meant any ill will by it, I think they’re just having fun making a nickname for us. It’s better than the more common “manchildren” lol