James Gunn Says They Are Going With A Younger Version Of Superman For Their New DC Plan Which Means Cavill Is Out...Again

JayC

14 hours ago, SpiderS said:

That move sucks and making me more depressed than I should be. Cavil was a great Superman and despite mixed opinions over his movies, his casting was perfect and he deserved a proper conclusion. I don't like the way we get a new Superman, James Gunn is a good writer for *certain types* of projects, like Guardians and Peacemaker but even that wasn't without serious flaws because dick/sex jokes get annoying and boring after certain points because sadly this is his peak as a writer, he's not the type of writer who can write Superman, there was no reason why Cavil couldn't be in that Superman movie, but Gunn feels confident he can make a new world even if he alienates existing fanbase, I guess after being canceled, fired and then magically rehired your ego grows to an amazing degree.

If anything we need an actual visionary director to write this new take not a "funny edgy" director, only with an actual visionary we can justify the reboot (like Denis Villeneuve). Either way, PR-wise James Gunn is messing up big time, first, it was the whole uncertainty over reboot or not, then it was  Wonder Woman cancelation, and now Superman,  it will be especially funny if he leaves his project and his wife's role still intact in the new universe. But mark my words, WB will be sold again in 2 years to Universal and it's no incident James Gunn's contract is exactly only for 2 years. And New Heads will bring a new vision again.

Assuming this is an ego thing for Gunn is ignoring a few things.

A. No one has said that he is writing or directing the new Superman film. He’s in charge of managing the direction of the franchise, but they haven’t announced his involvement in any particular films. 

B. You’re assuming this was entirely his idea when there’s fairly strong evidence that it wasn’t. Gunn still works for David Zaslov, who has clearly and specifically stated that he wants to completely restart the DCU. 

C. As good as Cavill is in the role, the  negative PR impact this has on future films is pretty small. The exact same people who were going to see Cavill in Superman 2 will be going to see whichever actor is in the new one. 

19 hours ago, abnuggler said:

As far as I read the fact Superman 2 was being planned wasnt the only reason he left The Witcher, I think it was a combination of things, one being his schedule would have become even tighter with Superman 2 (and his return to the DCEU), and the fact that he wasnt happy with the direction The witcher show was heading (He's a big witcher fan and I heard he wasnt happy with all the changes that they were doing for the show that werent in the original source material), in any case it sucks that because of DC and their dumb sh*** we wont get Cavill as Superman or Geralt.

This was something that was making circulation on a lot of online sites. Supposedly he's an actual big fan of the Witcher property, which was part of the reason he took the role, and he was not happy with the the typical Netflixification they were putting onto the show, which is basically what they do with every show after a great first season. He does have other projects, including negotiations to be the next 007, and even though the perception was there due to the timing of the entire thing, he has stated that he did not quit Geralt for Clark, but for a number of reasons.

I loved Cavill and Affleck and especially Gadot in their respective roles, but I, for one, am not about to write off Gunn and his plans for the future unless or until they do fail decisively, but he has to be given the chance. The DCU has been in need of a major direction change and unification for a long long time now, and with the floundering of the current MCU I'm willing to give him a chance to try and make it work. The truth is, for any long term future in the DCU there does have to be a change to a younger bunch of actors to carry it out in the long run.

• Like 1

The Henry Cavill drama continues as The Hollywood Reporter is being informed from sources that the cameos that both Cavill as Superman and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, are now being cut from the upcoming The Flash movie, given that the studio chose to not go forward with director Patty Jenkins’ version of Wonder Woman 3.

Sources from within DC Studios are saying that Cavill was only back in the DC universe because Dwayne Johnson pushed for his return in Black Adam as Superman.  With Cavill's cameo, Johnson took this as plans for a sequel and a Black Adam Vs. Superman movie before James Gunn announced his plans for a younger Superman, leaving Cavill without the lead.

“In the end, he was a pawn in Dwayne’s failed attempt to control a piece of DC,” one insider observes.

There was no signed agreement for Cavill, but only a verbal agreement that the studio would develop future projects. He was paid $250,000 each for his cameos, and he recently left the Netflix series, The Witcher.  Although it’s unclear if the promise of more Superman appearances were behind his exit from the Netflix series.

The actor recently signed with Amazon to star and executive produce a series adaptation of Warhammer 40,000, the popular science-fiction fantasy miniature wargame.

What's the saying? God Giveth, God Taketh Away!
No more talentless Gal Gadott, but on the other hand No more Cavill and what could have been a perfect superman if treated right.

11 hours ago, Zerzar999 said:

This was something that was making circulation on a lot of online sites. Supposedly he's an actual big fan of the Witcher property, which was part of the reason he took the role, and he was not happy with the the typical Netflixification they were putting onto the show, which is basically what they do with every show after a great first season. He does have other projects, including negotiations to be the next 007, and even though the perception was there due to the timing of the entire thing, he has stated that he did not quit Geralt for Clark, but for a number of reasons.

I loved Cavill and Affleck and especially Gadot in their respective roles, but I, for one, am not about to write off Gunn and his plans for the future unless or until they do fail decisively, but he has to be given the chance. The DCU has been in need of a major direction change and unification for a long long time now, and with the floundering of the current MCU I'm willing to give him a chance to try and make it work. The truth is, for any long term future in the DCU there does have to be a change to a younger bunch of actors to carry it out in the long run.

Same here I hope they finally fix the DCU and make great movies, its just sad to see someone as Cavill perfectly cast as Superman and then be used so poorly. But he'll land on his feet, Id totally be up for him landing the 007 role, and now he's gonna act and produce the Warhammer 40K amazon adaptation which is a property he is even more passionate about than he was about The Witcher, so hopefully this time he'll be able to make an adaptation of something he loves that is true to the source material.

5 hours ago, abnuggler said:

Same here I hope they finally fix the DCU and make great movies, its just sad to see someone as Cavill perfectly cast as Superman and then be used so poorly. But he'll land on his feet, Id totally be up for him landing the 007 role, and now he's gonna act and produce the Warhammer 40K amazon adaptation which is a property he is even more passionate about than he was about The Witcher, so hopefully this time he'll be able to make an adaptation of something he loves that is true to the source material.

Yes, and as producer maybe he'll have more control and not let Netflix change the direction of the show to appease certain influences, ultimately alienating the original audience. If I had a nickel for ever Netflix show I watched the first season only to drop off halfway through the second I'd have like $3.75. Not a lot of cash, but that's a hell a lotta nickels.

23 hours ago, glhshelby said:

Assuming this is an ego thing for Gunn is ignoring a few things.

A. No one has said that he is writing or directing the new Superman film. He’s in charge of managing the direction of the franchise, but they haven’t announced his involvement in any particular films. 

Did you read Gunn's tweets? He literally said himself, that he's writing the movie but doesn't know who will direct it. 

16 hours ago, Outsiders said:

The Henry Cavill drama continues as The Hollywood Reporter is being informed from sources that the cameos that both Cavill as Superman and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman, are now being cut from the upcoming The Flash movie, given that the studio chose to not go forward with director Patty Jenkins’ version of Wonder Woman 3.

Sources from within DC Studios are saying that Cavill was only back in the DC universe because Dwayne Johnson pushed for his return in Black Adam as Superman.  With Cavill's cameo, Johnson took this as plans for a sequel and a Black Adam Vs. Superman movie before James Gunn announced his plans for a younger Superman, leaving Cavill without the lead.

There was no signed agreement for Cavill, but only a verbal agreement that the studio would develop future projects. He was paid $250,000 each for his cameos, and he recently left the Netflix series, The Witcher.  Although it’s unclear if the promise of more Superman appearances were behind his exit from the Netflix series.

The actor recently signed with Amazon to star and executive produce a series adaptation of Warhammer 40,000, the popular science-fiction fantasy miniature wargame.

Hey, whatever, good on Gunn for not letting the talent push him around. Guy's making the hard decisions. I'm sure it's nothing personal. It makes no sense to leave them in the movie if there are no plans to continue with them as the characters. It's just facts. Ezra's gone after this. Mamoa was talking a mess and acting like they were gonna beg him to stay, but see yaaaaaa. Pattinson's in. One clean slate, coming right up. Sad to see the familiars go, but WB/DC was taking too long to proceed further with any particular reason or direction and the actors aged out of their roles, it happens. Black Adam was good IMO, but Dwayne is no spring chicken either. I'm guessing he's gotta go too, and it doesn't look like Gunn is too happy with him trying to strongarm the company into doing things his way anyway, so byeeeeeeee. Seriously, recast the cat, he's not irreplaceable, recast every damn one of them. Let James Gunn and whoever that other guy is do whatever the hell they need to do to, not right the ship, but to get the damn thing outta port altogether, because it was never right to begin with. Had they let Snyder do his thing it mighta been something, but up to this point it's been nothing but a confusing, messy, convoluted, noncohesive cluster eff. Let's give the dude a chance to do his thing. If he fails I'll be the first to say it sucks.

Oh, and good riddance to Patty Jenkins, too. Don't let the screen door hit ya on the ayass on the way out. You don't get to make all the calls and change the entire mood of a franchise just cuz you had one moderately entertaining and well done not-failure. Good luck in your next endeavors and with life, just stay the hell away from DC.

On 12/16/2022 at 7:52 AM, elongatedman said:

Sad to see. Henry go but I think it's time to move on from the Snyderverse 

I agree! As much as I liked Cavill, the Snyderverse was mediocre at best. It’s time to let go and start anew. Also there were plenty of Supermen before Cavill and there’s been plenty of Batmen, so I don’t see why it’s such a big deal to replace Cavill

I read the article somewhere announcing Gunn was scrapping Cavill in favor of a reboot. Fine, not a big surprise. The DCU has been a mixed bag and how many more movies are they really going to make with that cast? Rebooting is inevitable. I felt bad for Cavill who seemed like he was getting jerked around a bit. The DCU is getting rebooted. Fine. Hope it's good. I will check it out, either in the theaters or on HBOMax or whatever they're going to change the name to.

The interesting part of the article was reading the comments. Woah. There was a stream of comments just slamming this new movie that hasn't even been written yet. People vowing never to watch it. Why? Because Cavill is getting jerked around? Because the DCU was so great? It seemed like some overreaction. I understand Gunn's new tweet. 

I liked the Guardians movies. I liked his Suicide Squad movie. I'm hoping Peacemaker gets a season 2 despite the reboot. I'm looking forward to seeing what new thing he does with Superman and the rest of DCU. It could be great. I'm not going to condemn the movie before it's even written.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AvengerK2 said:

Gunns sole DC effort so far was suicide squad and left much to be desired.  Not hopeful for good stuff from him but maybe he ll surprise me. 

Idk, I really liked his Suicide Squad. I enjoyed it way more than all of the DCEU except Man of Steel 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 1

Disrespectful outcry, he's really complaining about this? If it means little to him, he wouldn't be even acknowledging it. He really thought by doing this move, it was not going to be unpopular? He expects support now? Did he really not notice the cameo at the end of Black Adam? He's totally into himself. Who cares about a young Superman growing up story where he becomes a reporter before becoming Superman.....lame. 

4 hours ago, Batfreak87 said:

Disrespectful outcry, he's really complaining about this? If it means little to him, he wouldn't be even acknowledging it. He really thought by doing this move, it was not going to be unpopular? He expects support now? Did he really not notice the cameo at the end of Black Adam? He's totally into himself. Who cares about a young Superman growing up story where he becomes a reporter before becoming Superman.....lame. 

I think he was specifically addressing people resorting to name calling and flat out attacking people as opposed to someone simply expressing being unhappy about Cavill no longer being Superman, and yes I am sure for someone like Gunn who spends a great amount of time on Twitter it is something he notices. That being said calling those people out and giving them attention isn't likely going to make them stop, its only going to encourage more of that kind of behavior.

This is what happens when some entitled folks get real nasty with their displeasure.

On the larger note...once again...we see why DC is forever lagging behind MCU.  No plan, no cohesion, constant reboots, no connectivity/overarching story.  I'll see what Gunn does...I adored Suicide Squad.  However I am not shy about saying I was eager to see what Snyder would have done.  I though Affleck made a really good older gritty Batman.  Cyborg was cool.  Gadot cut a pretty good WW. Cavill made a good showing as Supes and Mamoa was a good bro Aquaman (but for me Black Manta stole the show).  And Aldis Hodge and Pierce were the stars in Black Adam.

The Rock is the Rock..idk why people are still surprised.  Hopefully he'll just be happy his vanity film got made...but he did/was marketed as changing the DCU and I can see where messages got mixed (because either he was doing his typical Rock hype or DC was pushing it that way).

But yeah entitled fans being nasty....never cool.  This is why we can't have nice stuff and/or people stop communicating because some folks just can't be civil. 

Variety has reported that Dwayne Johnson has sat down with DC Studios and co-chief James Gunn about his character Black Adam and it has been determined that he will no be part of the story for chapter one of the DCU.

Johnson however has left the door open by saying all parties have agreed to continue exploring way Black Adam might be utilized in the future.

6 minutes ago, JayC said:

Variety has reported that Dwayne Johnson has sat down with DC Studios and co-chief James Gunn about his character Black Adam and it has been determined that he will no be part of the story for chapter one of the DCU.

Johnson however has left the door open by saying all parties have agreed to continue exploring way Black Adam might be utilized in the future.

LOL, translation, if everyone hates the new stuff then maybe we will come back to you and Cavill at a later time and try again.

So Dwayne, we're really supposed to swallow the excuse that the 39 year old Cavill had aged out of the role (I agree, and not his fault they didn't utilize him properly) and Gunn and What'sHisName want to go with a younger cast, yet he's fully open to bringing a 50+ year old Rock back to play Black Adam again? This was your shot, you took it, you tried to throw your weight around, you got your movie, it was supposed to ignite the world, it didn't, now you're done. Dude, take the L. It's not like you're the only one who got left out in the cold here. You're not gonna be able to muscle your way back in and call your own shots if they expect Gunn to get this train moving like they want him to.