HBO Cancels 'Westworld' After Four Seasons

Outsiders

HBO announced today that Westworld has ended with the fourth season.  The fourth and final season aired on August 14th.

Bad Robot’s Jonathan Nolan spoke at the New York Comic-Con in October and had hoped for a fifth and final season, but HBO declined.

The series, an adaptation of the 1973 Michael Crichton-directed and written film, boasted nine Primetime Emmy wins during its run and 54 nominations.  Thandiwe Newton had won the series’ sole acting Emmy in the supporting actress drama category in 2020 for her portrayal of Maeve, who began the show as a western town android prostitute (called “Hosts” on the show) and eventually evolved into a bad-ass warrior protecting her own robotic kin.

HBO said, “Over the past four seasons, Lisa and Jonah have taken viewers on a mind-bending odyssey, raising the bar at every step. We are tremendously grateful to them, along with their immensely talented cast, producers and crew, and all of our partners at Kilter Films, Bad Robot and Warner Bros. Television. It’s been a thrill to join them on this journey.”

Kilter Films added, “Making Westworld has been one of the highlights of our careers. We are deeply grateful to our extraordinary cast and crew for creating these indelible characters and brilliant worlds. We’ve been privileged to tell these stories about the future of consciousness – both human and beyond – in the brief window of time before our AI overlords forbid us from doing so.”

Source: Deadline

8 hours ago, kboe1313 said:

Season 1 was great. Unfortunately the show went off the rails in season 2, and keep getting worse. 

Yep. I quit watching after season 2. The creators got too wrapped up in trying to mind**** the audience, and started tripping over themselves and their now way too overcomplicated plot in the process. They got sloppy, and it's no wonder the viewers kept dropping. I'm kinda surprised it made it this long.

• Thanks 1

Didn't realize until now that J. J. Abrahams was involved on it. Makes total sense now! J. J. is great at making an interesting story premise, but is too incompetent to think of a conclusion. I know he calls it "Mystery Box", I call it lazy writing. 

35 minutes ago, kboe1313 said:

Didn't realize until now that J. J. Abrahams was involved on it. Makes total sense now! J. J. is great at making an interesting story premise, but is too incompetent to think of a conclusion. I know he calls it "Mystery Box", I call it lazy writing. 

JJ was only the producer. He had no creative involvement. The creators/showrunners were Jonathan Nolan (Christopher's brother) and his wife, Lisa Joy.