Black Adam Movie Review - Is This The Movie DCEU Fans Have Been Waiting For?

JayC

The new Black Adam movie which stars Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson in the lead role is a enjoyable movie worth going to see in my opinion. While it doesn’t provide anything groundbreaking in the world of comic book movie storytelling, I thought it provided a good 2 hours of action packed entertainment.

The basic synopsis for this movie reads as follows:

“Nearly 5,000 years after he was bestowed with the almighty powers of the Egyptian gods-and imprisoned just as quickly-Black Adam is freed from his earthly tomb, ready to unleash his unique form of justice on the modern world."

The overall plot was fairly predictable though I did think they added a nice twist to Adam’s origins that you might not see coming right away, and it provides a good explanation for the characters motivations throughout the movie. I am not an expert on Black Adam’s history but I do know his origins have been changed a few times over the years since he was first introduced in the comics back in 1945.

I have always thought of Black Adam as a super-villain, but here he is presented more as an anti-hero type character which seems to be in keeping with the characters more recent appearances in the comics.

The movie also introduces the Justice Society for the first time in the DCEU. While I perhaps would have appreciated a little more background on these characters since it was the first time seeing them, I thought the actors did a good job bringing these classic DC characters to life. Pierce Brosnan as Dr. Fate was my favorite of the group and I hope this isn’t the last time we see him on the big screen.

Aldis Hodge played the teams leader Hawkman which admittedly came off more to me like a Bruce Wayne with wings than the Hackman I remember from the comics. Again I am not a Hawkman expert and I did enjoy Hodge’s performance, but I never really thought of the character as someone being rich with super high tech gadgets. I definitely would have liked to gotten more background on this character in the movie.

Quintessa Swindell as Cyclone and Noha Centineo as Atom Smasher where presented as the newbies to the team and I felt both did a solid job with what screen time they were given.

Marwan Kezari played the movies main bad guy and while I didn’t think he was horrible, his character also wasn’t very memorable and probably the weakest thing about the movie.

The movie also bring back some familiar faces like Viola Davis as Amanda Waller who has essentially become DC’s version of Nick Fury and another big one in the mid-credit scene which you will want to stick around for.

The thing this movie does best is that it gives me hope that the DCEU will finally get back on track and deliver a movie Universe that is really worth getting invested it. On the flip-side however I do wonder if Warner Bros. Actually has a long-term plan in place or if they are still just kind of making it up as they go. I guess time will tell.

Grade: B+

Black-Adam-Movie__scaled_600.jpg

I would agree with the review for the most part.  Its a servixsnke vehicle for Dwayne Johnson to ente the DCEU as  Black Adam. Brosnan steals the show as Dr Fate I really hope he returns.  Amanda Waller is better than the MCU Nick Fury.  The jokes are typical for a superhero movie....and I'm not being complimentary.  Johnson lapses in and out if being Teth Adam and Dwayne Johnson with his delivery of some jokes being very out of character for Black Adam.  The highlight is the return of you know who as you know know who in the epilog scene during the credits.  It got the best pop from the audience  at the theater I saw it in.  Shazam doesn't look greatas the next DCEU movie  but  the Flssh movie may be the next positive step for DCEU and its new owners.  And as big as a Batman fan I am I'm glad DC us putting the focus back on Superman. 

7 hours ago, AvengerK2 said:

I would agree with the review for the most part.  Its a servixsnke vehicle for Dwayne Johnson to ente the DCEU as  Black Adam. Brosnan steals the show as Dr Fate I really hope he returns.  Amanda Waller is better than the MCU Nick Fury.  The jokes are typical for a superhero movie....and I'm not being complimentary.  Johnson lapses in and out if being Teth Adam and Dwayne Johnson with his delivery of some jokes being very out of character for Black Adam.  The highlight is the return of you know who as you know know who in the epilog scene during the credits.  It got the best pop from the audience  at the theater I saw it in.  Shazam doesn't look greatas the next DCEU movie  but  the Flssh movie may be the next positive step for DCEU and its new owners.  And as big as a Batman fan I am I'm glad DC us putting the focus back on Superman. 

umm but the Flash movie is one & done now unless they get a new actor

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unimpressed. Ok movie at best. All the talk of groundbreaking and "paradigm of power shifting" and what not was just blather. The JSA is here, but without explaining who they are, it just comes off as a CW Legends of Tomorrow thing. In fact, I I'd say the JSA was just wasted here; they would've been better off just keeping Dr. Fate.

No explanation on how Hawkman now has super strength, to the degree where he can punch Black Adam through a building. No reason why Dr. Fate's powers can't defeat him, other than obvious plot armor. Of course, nerfing Dr. Fate pales to how Captain Marvel, now called Shazam, is treated in relation to Adam. Of course the movie isnt the same as the comic, but dang, they just ignored so much.