New Masters of the Universe Masterverse Deluxe Skeletor Figure Pre-Order - What Could It Be?

JayC

This week a mysterious new Masters of the Universe figure pre-order listing has popped up online for what is simply being titled Masters of the Universe Masterverse Deluxe Skeletor. Both Amazon and our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com have had it listed and the price of it is around $33.

Other than the generic title which suggests its part of the Masterverse line and will be based on some version of Skeletor, we know very little about what this figure might be.

I will tell you that I did some digging to see if I could find out more about it and at one time it seemed the figure was coded as a "Deluxe Movie Skeletor". The word movie of course brings to mind maybe a figure based on the Frank Langella Skeletor from the 80s live-action movie. Now before we go off jumping to conclusions of that being what this figure will be, I should note the "Movie" portion of the title for the figure seems to have been dropped and there is nothing specific at this time other than that vague early code name to suggest this will be a live-action movie Skeletor figure.

Another possibility is that it could be a retail version of the 40th Anniversary Skeletor we saw initially released in this years SDCC exclusive set. We know the He-Man figure is getting a general release, and I will tell you I did see indications earlier this year that Mattel was floating the idea of also doing a regular retail version for Skeletor. The thing to note however is that this Skeletor listing is more expensive than the price of the 40th Anniversary He-Man. If this Skeletor listing was for a 40th Anniversary version, I am not sure why it would cost so much more than the 40th Anniversary He-Man.

Whatever this Skeletor listing is actually for, the release date is listed as October/November 2022, so I assume Mattel won't keep us in the dark about it for to much longer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm thinking this is in fact the 40th Anniversary Skeletor, the movable jaw likely adds some extra cost so Mattel has to do a deluxe price point here. In order to justify that price I believe that an extra head, probably Keldor, will be added as well as a cape maybe wired. It seems to make the most sense. 

I doubt it's the Movie Skeletor as William Stout, who owns the designs of the costumes doesn't like Mattel and will not deal with them, now unless something has dramatically changed recently, this listing is not that figure. He did allow Super7 to use his designs in their movie wave which was a spectacular wave!

At any rate I'm fairly confident it's the retail release of the 40th Anniversary Skeletor!!

• Thanks 1

We told you about the new Deluxe Masterverse Skeletor figure this weekend and how indications suggested it might be a movie based figure. Well now Mattel for MOTUesday has officially revealed both the He-Man and Skeletor figures which are based on the classic 80's live-action movie.

According to Mattel the figures will feature authentic detailing, accurate weapon accessories, and packaging art all inspired by the 1987 Masters of the Universe film. Both Amazon and our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com have the Skeletor figure and there is also a listing for He-Man on Amazon.

Movie-He-Man-00.jpg

Movie-He-Man-01.jpg

Movie-He-Man-02.jpg

Movie-MOTU-03.jpg

Movie-MOTU-04.jpg

• Thanks 1

Roy Juarez has once again provided a nice look at some upcoming package art for the 1987 Masters of the Universe He-man and Skeletor Masterverse Figures! More info on these as it comes!

Check out images for this figure below in our GALLERY and be sure to share your own thoughts about it in the COMMENTS SECTION.

00.jpg

MOTU.1.jpg

MOTU.2.jpg

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, toynewman said:
Roy Juarez has once again provided a nice look at some upcoming package art for the 1987 Masters of the Universe He-man and Skeletor Masterverse Figures! More info on these as it comes!

So is this going to be a two-pack or is each figure sold separately?

• Thanks 1

So it seems that the mystery listing on BBTS is the Movie Skeletor, the listing has now been taken down. Maybe BBTS was a little quick on that. I do like the look of these figures but something seems off on the He-Man. Maybe it's the face, body proportions, something. I do like the details on the costumes here, especially on Skeletor which is my favorite of the two reveals yesterday. 

These will be priced at the deluxe price point, somewhere between $33-$35 apiece and will be available sometime in the spring according to the Official Masters Instagram. 

• Thanks 1

I personally think Origins quality is better in regards to the figures but the art is always outstanding. Another great piece - I'd love to see an art book collecting all the modern back of packaging art like this even though I don't collect the Masterverse figures. It's disappointing to me that Masterverse figures (all the ones I've gotten) don't stay standing well and that the sculpts seem weaker BUT the core ideas behind them are strong original takes on the classic characters and I like the art.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, 80sboy4 said:

So it seems that the mystery listing on BBTS is the Movie Skeletor, the listing has now been taken down. Maybe BBTS was a little quick on that. I do like the look of these figures but something seems off on the He-Man. Maybe it's the face, body proportions, something. I do like the details on the costumes here, especially on Skeletor which is my favorite of the two reveals yesterday. 

These will be priced at the deluxe price point, somewhere between $33-$35 apiece and will be available sometime in the spring according to the Official Masters Instagram. 

The Amazon links don't work as well...

I did check my BBTS account and the Deluxe Skeleton is listed in my pre-orders but the link doesn't work.

• 1 month later...

This Masterverse Skeletor is a deluxe action figure inspired by the 1987 movie, Masters of the Universe.

Skeletor stands 7 inches tall and is designed with a high level of detail fans will love. The villain figure has 30 points of articulation and comes with swappable heads and hands and multiple accessories for epic storytelling and displays! Makes a addition to any MOTU collection. Colors and decorations may vary. You can pre-order this figure from our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

Movie-Skeletor-01.jpg

Movie-Skeletor-02.jpg

Movie-Skeletor-03.jpg

Movie-Skeletor-04.jpg

Movie-Skeletor-05.jpg

Movie-Skeletor-06.jpg

Movie-Skeletor-07.jpg

• Thanks 1