Bill Skarsgard To Star In 'The Crow' Reboot With Rupert Sanders Directing

Outsiders

It has been talked about for years but it now appears that The Crow reboot will finally be made as Bill Skarsgard (Pictured Left) is set to play Eric Draven with Rupert Sanders helming the project.

The Crow was an indie comic written and drawn by James O’Barr in the late 1980s that told the dark tale of a man and his fiancee who are assaulted and killed by a gang after the couple’s car breaks down. The man is resurrected by a crow and exacts vengeance on those who took his life and the life of his love.

The script comes from Zach Baylin, who wrote the Oscar-nominated King Richard and Edward R. Pressman and Malcolm Gray will be producing.  The project is well into production before the June start date, with shooting to take place in Prague and Munich. The budget is in the $50 million range, and all lights are green to go.

Bill Skarsgard is credited with playing Pennywise the Clown in the IT horror movies.  He can be seen in the upcoming John Wick: Chapter 4 and voiced a character named Kro in Marvel’s 2021 movie Eternals.

Rupert Sanders is best known for helming 2012's Snow White and the Huntsman and 2017's Ghost in the Shell.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Bill_Skarsgard_Rupert_Sanders.jpg

• Like 1

Sadly, I'm afraid Bill Skarsgard is typecast. There's literally nothing he could do at this point or has done to this point that I don't see Pennywise. On that note I think a Crow reboot is a bad idea whether it's Pennywise or anyone else. It's a cult classic that will never be improved apon.

So when Bill was cast as pennywise for the new IT reboot, I thought it would be crazy to even compete with Tim Currys take on the character. To my surprise, he brought a new unexpected area to the character and interestingly enough made the character feel like its own thing while also feeling like the same character. The role of Eric Draven feels like it was written for Brandon Lee and that role has been hard to top over the years. There have been plenty of other actors play that role and they all failed in comparison. I honestly dont know if Bill can really take that role as well as he did for pennywise. Also The Crow is so beloved, its one of those series that should remain untouched and 'unrebooted'. Who knows tho, maybe it ll be good. Altho I feel like the track record for reboots of older beloved series is very very very bad and super rare that they are good.  

• 1 year later...

Bill Skarsgård takes on the iconic role of THE CROW in this modern reimagining of the original graphic novel by James O’Barr.

Soulmates Eric Draven (Skarsgård) and Shelly Webster (FKA twigs) are brutally murdered when the demons of her dark past catch up with them. Given the chance to save his true love by sacrificing himself, Eric sets out to seek merciless revenge on their killers, traversing the worlds of the living and the dead to put the wrong things right.

Rupert Sanders directed the film, while Zach Baylin and William Schneider were responsible for the screenplay. The movie was produced by Edward R. Pressman, Samuel Hadida, Victor Hadida, John Jencks, and Molly Hassell. The cast featured Bill Skarsgård, FKA twigs, and Danny Huston.

THECROW_00816_R3_01_rgb.jpg

THECROW_06513_R3_01_rgb.jpg

THECROW_12062_R2_01_rgb.jpg

Hairstylist really didn't do good job here, better hairdo could have salvaged this situation but it's too late now because first public impression is already leaning negative unless there's amazing trailer that will wow everyone.

I’m typically pro remake because it doesn’t take anything away from the original and I like seeing new takes on classic ideas. And maybe this movie will be good. But I really don’t like the design.

Again I say that there is no reason to remake this film. The story doesn't need improved fx or more modern atmosphere or design.  There are stories that could use an update but this isn’t one of them. 

I kinda liked the trailer, but this remake wasn't necessary. Change their names from Eric and Shelly to something else, and this would have easily been the best sequel.

• 4 weeks later...

Deadline has announced that the release date for the reboot of The Crow, directed by Rupert Sanders and featuring Bill Skarsgård, has been rescheduled from June 7 to August 23.