DC Multiverse Anti-Crisis Wonder Woman Gold Label Figure Revealed

JayC

Today we bring you another first look thanks to Walmart for another new DC Multiverse 7" figure from McFarlane Toys.

This time it's the Gold Label DC Multiverse Anti-Crisis Wonder Woman (Death Metal) figure. Now while we know Todd loves often repainting his figures with gold metallic paint, this one actually has basis from the comic books. The figure is likely a Walmart exclusive being it's part of the Gold Label collection and currently listed on Walmart's website but not yet available for purchase. This might be one of the Walmart-Collector Con offerings coming later this month. Walmart's Collector-Con event is expected to kick on on March 24. Check out the images below.

Anti-Crisis-Wonder-Woman-00.jpg

Anti-Crisis-Wonder-Woman-01.jpg

Anti-Crisis-Wonder-Woman-02.jpg

Anti-Crisis-Wonder-Woman-03.jpg

Anti-Crisis-Wonder-Woman-04.jpg

Anti-Crisis-Wonder-Woman-05.jpg

Anti-Crisis-Wonder-Woman-06.jpg

Anti-Crisis-Wonder-Woman-07.jpg

Do a normal Wonder Woman already...no story line costumes, etc.

I know Todd has a general aversion to female characters in general for whatever reason...I'm assuming his excuse is sales or something. Sure, many of his wonder woman figures tend to be discounted quick (quite a few of his figures get discounted quickly I have noticed), but I believe it is because it is not a CLASSIC F&%*ing WONDER WOMAN.

There are a lot of things I love about McFarlane toys, but there are some trends that I absolutely hate. To me he is, somehow, one of the best and worst toy producers. I'm not sure how that paradox works in my mind, but it is what it is.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Admiral_Brockbar said:

I know Todd has a general aversion to female characters in general for whatever reason...I'm assuming his excuse is sales or something. Sure, many of his wonder woman figures tend to be discounted quick (quite a few of his figures get discounted quickly I have noticed), but I believe it is because it is not a CLASSIC F&%*ing WONDER WOMAN.

There are a lot of things I love about McFarlane toys, but there are some trends that I absolutely hate. To me he is, somehow, one of the best and worst toy producers. I'm not sure how that paradox works in my mind, but it is what it is.

Amen to that.

5 hours ago, Admiral_Brockbar said:

McFarlane is probably the best in some areas, body sculpt improved a lot in DC Multiverse line if you consider Batman Detective Comics 1000 and is very good in some figures, some have layers of armor/suit in different pieces, price is another area that are better than most companies. They're releasing more and more figures in a shorter span of time.

They are the worst in character selection in my opinion, but that's the current source material for DC comic books, which I think is a good thing after all, imagine if you felt tempted to buy every single release from DC Multiverse, I would run out of space and money

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that we need a regular WW, but I do really like this one. I liked the comic she's from and think it actually looks pretty good.

So I’ve always looked at these all gold or all silver figures and wondered—who is this for?  Like what’s the audience for this? I can understand to a degree a true one off rare and extremely limited example like the SDCC bronze King Grayskull but these are at a major retail and a new one comes out every couple of months and I’m just not sure who the audience is that is asking for or wanting these.  It’s always baffled me.  But for the most part I’ve not harped on this and just been like “whatever, not for me” and moved on but given Todd’s recent comments I think it’s time to dig in on this….  

So Todd argues that he can’t put a bunch of female figures in the line because the demand isn’t big enough for them to sell well at retail…. Yet…. There’s enough demand for this to sell at retail?!?!  If Todd says Hero figures out sell Villains, and Villains out sell Female figures (and that’s why he can’t justify trying to sell more female figures) then where do all solid gold/silver figures that just look like award show statues fit in this tiered hierarchy system cause he seems to be okay with selling more of them at retail.  Are you telling me bronze statue figure audience rank higher? 

And to borrow Todd’s hyperbolic story of the kid who gets straight As thus his parents promise a figure as a reward but then he’s crest fallen when they go to retail and pick out for him a female figure—how does that same hypothetical kid react if he was given this?  “Um…. Yeah mom and dad so forget about rather or not they had creatures and aliens when you were in the toy isle I just want to know if they had any options at all that weren’t just one solid color and doesn’t looks like it belongs on top of a bowling trophy”.  If in Todd’s scenario the disappointment of a boy receiving a female figure is the turning point in creating a serial killer then the disappointment of receiving an all gold bowling trophy figure surely equates to the origin of a genocidal maniac.  

I’m not trying to pick on Todd.  I grew up with him, but beyond that I’ve met him either via my work or via cons at least two or three dozen times and he’s always been friendly, kind, and personable.  But given his recent over the top statements regarding female figures it just needs to be called out how extra absurd it is to say the audience is too small and female figures don’t sell enough for retail or appeal enough to kids while at the same time releasing things like this at retail.  

And for those of you that want these solid gold/silver figures that’s great.  I’m not picking on you.  Like what you like, but that has to be a pretty small niche particularly when compared to the audience Todd is arguing is too small for retail.  

2 hours ago, InspectorZartan said:

So I’ve always looked at these all gold or all silver figures and wondered—who is this for?  Like what’s the audience for this? I can understand to a degree a true one off rare and extremely limited example like the SDCC bronze King Grayskull but these are at a major retail and a new one comes out every couple of months and I’m just not sure who the audience is that is asking for or wanting these.  It’s always baffled me.  But for the most part I’ve not harped on this and just been like “whatever, not for me” and moved on but given Todd’s recent comments I think it’s time to dig in on this….  

So Todd argues that he can’t put a bunch of female figures in the line because the demand isn’t big enough for them to sell well at retail…. Yet…. There’s enough demand for this to sell at retail?!?!  If Todd says Hero figures out sell Villains, and Villains out sell Female figures (and that’s why he can’t justify trying to sell more female figures) then where do all solid gold/silver figures that just look like award show statues fit in this tiered hierarchy system cause he seems to be okay with selling more of them at retail.  Are you telling me bronze statue figure audience rank higher? 

And to borrow Todd’s hyperbolic story of the kid who gets straight As thus his parents promise a figure as a reward but then he’s crest fallen when they go to retail and pick out for him a female figure—how does that same hypothetical kid react if he was given this?  “Um…. Yeah mom and dad so forget about rather or not they had creatures and aliens when you were in the toy isle I just want to know if they had any options at all that weren’t just one solid color and doesn’t looks like it belongs on top of a bowling trophy”.  If in Todd’s scenario the disappointment of a boy receiving a female figure is the turning point in creating a serial killer then the disappointment of receiving an all gold bowling trophy figure surely equates to the origin of a genocidal maniac.  

I’m not trying to pick on Todd.  I grew up with him, but beyond that I’ve met him either via my work or via cons at least two or three dozen times and he’s always been friendly, kind, and personable.  But given his recent over the top statements regarding female figures it just needs to be called out how extra absurd it is to say the audience is too small and female figures don’t sell enough for retail or appeal enough to kids while at the same time releasing things like this at retail.  

And for those of you that want these solid gold/silver figures that’s great.  I’m not picking on you.  Like what you like, but that has to be a pretty small niche particularly when compared to the audience Todd is arguing is too small for retail.  

I think what  you're missing is that his golden/bronze/silver figures are not first released like this, they are rereleases, but the main figure has normal colors, they probably don't sell but hopefully the first release paid the cost of production, according to Todd the female figures won't sell well when first released, maybe BatGirl from Three Jokers will make him change his mind, for the most part I think the female figures released in this line were versions of Wonder Woman nobody wants or that tall Batgirl with the cartoony face, if they didn't sell well the main reason was the way the figures turned out, there's no female figure McFarlane released in the DC Multiverse line that I think looks good, Harley Quinn, Catwoman from The Batman move, and the list goes on, maybe Wonder Woman 1984 could've been a great release if the head sculpt was better, I'm ok with the sausage legs but that face doesn't look like Gal Gadot from any angle you tryt to loo at it. Last Knight On Earth Wonder Woman has a very peculiar look to the character, I've seen people praising that figure but I don't know, DC Multiverse figures with the exception of the two DCEU Harley Quinn are total fails because of the way they were produced or the character design.

4 hours ago, Fabio said:

I think what  you're missing is that his golden/bronze/silver figures are not first released like this, they are rereleases, but the main figure has normal colors, they probably don't sell but hopefully the first release paid the cost of production, according to Todd the female figures won't sell well when first released, maybe BatGirl from Three Jokers will make him change his mind, for the most part I think the female figures released in this line were versions of Wonder Woman nobody wants or that tall Batgirl with the cartoony face, if they didn't sell well the main reason was the way the figures turned out, there's no female figure McFarlane released in the DC Multiverse line that I think looks good, Harley Quinn, Catwoman from The Batman move, and the list goes on, maybe Wonder Woman 1984 could've been a great release if the head sculpt was better, I'm ok with the sausage legs but that face doesn't look like Gal Gadot from any angle you tryt to loo at it. Last Knight On Earth Wonder Woman has a very peculiar look to the character, I've seen people praising that figure but I don't know, DC Multiverse figures with the exception of the two DCEU Harley Quinn are total fails because of the way they were produced or the character design.

Sure the tooling has been already paid for but they still have to pay for the additional production run extra plastic, extra storage, distribution, transportation cost, and I assume Walmart only deals with large quantities so it’s not like this is a production run of only a hundred or so figures.  I know tooling is expensive but even if your tooling cost is covered there’s still other equally large expenses and the fact that Walmart orders things by the thousands or tens of thousands someone has to believe that there are enough people that want this to justify that minimum order quantity.  So if that customer base exists in large enough number for this (which again has me asking who is that customer) how can he argue that while arguing the customer willing to include a normal female figure in their collection is too small.  If the story he is telling is all about how a kid will be disappointed and traumatized to receive a female figure over a male as a gift because the kids parents didn’t know any better how would that same kid feel about receiving one of these bowling trophy figures over a normal figure make or female? These two arguments and thesis statement contradict with the fact that he actively releases these gold statue figures that I think few might actually want for reasons beyond “collect them all”, no one is actually asking for, and no kid would want vs getting any regular figure of any gender.  That’s the part that just makes the already baffling fact that he is mass producing these figures even more baffling to me

1 hour ago, InspectorZartan said:

Sure the tooling has been already paid for but they still have to pay for the additional production run extra plastic, extra storage, distribution, transportation cost, and I assume Walmart only deals with large quantities so it’s not like this is a production run of only a hundred or so figures.  I know tooling is expensive but even if your tooling cost is covered there’s still other equally large expenses and the fact that Walmart orders things by the thousands or tens of thousands someone has to believe that there are enough people that want this to justify that minimum order quantity.  So if that customer base exists in large enough number for this (which again has me asking who is that customer) how can he argue that while arguing the customer willing to include a normal female figure in their collection is too small.  If the story he is telling is all about how a kid will be disappointed and traumatized to receive a female figure over a male as a gift because the kids parents didn’t know any better how would that same kid feel about receiving one of these bowling trophy figures over a normal figure make or female? These two arguments and thesis statement contradict with the fact that he actively releases these gold statue figures that I think few might actually want for reasons beyond “collect them all”, no one is actually asking for, and no kid would want vs getting any regular figure of any gender.  That’s the part that just makes the already baffling fact that he is mass producing these figures even more baffling to me

Yes, Todd does things that's beyond comprehension, the side eyes is one of those things, I think he's not an action figure guy and tries to produce what he'd buy, my niece loves Wonder Woman, Captain Marvel and basically all female action figures, I gave her Teela from Motu with some other male characters, did the same with Marvel and DC and she's always playing with the female characters, there's definitely a lot of potential to these characters, also a lot of guys would buy Supergirl, Lois Lane, Wonder Woman, I still think they didn't put enough effort in the majority of the female figures, at least they should go through an approval process that seems to me it just doesn't happen, some figures turn out so bad that it seems like people were afraid to tell wasn't good enough for release and that's the reason some female figures fail, I still consider getting the movie figures of Harley Quinn