Prime Video In Talks To Adapt 'God Of War' TV Series

Outsiders

Prime Video is in talks to develop a live-action series based on the hugely popular ancient mythology-themed game God Of War.  The adaptation comes from The Expanse creators/executive producers Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby and The Wheel of Time executive producer/showrunner Rafe Judkins as well as Sony Pictures Television and PlayStation Productions.

The God of War franchise from Sony’s Santa Monica Studio spans a total of seven games across four PlayStation consoles. The action game series launched in 2005 on the PlayStation 2, with the first God of War. At the center is ex-Spartan warrior Kratos and his perilous journey to exact revenge on the Ares, the Greek God of War, after killing his loved ones under the deity’s influence. After becoming the ruthless God of War himself, Kratos finds himself constantly looking for a chance to change his fate.

Following several titles on various PlayStation consoles including the PS3 and the handheld PSP, Santa Monica Studio brought new life to the franchise with the 2018 game on the PlayStation 4. In it, Kratos comes to the Norse wilds where he gets a second chance at fatherhood with his son Atreus. The installment a slew of honors at the 2018 Game Awards, including Game of the Year.

Fergus and Ostby are credited with co-writing the script for Marvel's Iron Man.  Judkins was a writer-producer on ABC’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Source: Deadline

I am very intrigued as to what comes of this. I wonder where they will go with it if they start off with the greek and go into norse later on. 

On 3/9/2022 at 10:02 PM, EvilHayato said:

I am very intrigued as to what comes of this. I wonder where they will go with it if they start off with the greek and go into norse later on. 

I've never played the games and I'll probably get the 2018 release that was just released on PC but I believe the series adaptation will be based on the 2018 release where Kratos will be with his son.

10 hours ago, Outsiders said:

I've never played the games and I'll probably get the 2018 release that was just released on PC but I believe the series adaptation will be based on the 2018 release where Kratos will be with his son.

Most likely as thats the most fresh in peoples minds but the greek based games were so good. I highly suggest/recommend playing them. They had some of the most epic set pieces and bosses. One where you fought Cronos where his fingernail was bigger than you. 

• 9 months later...

Prime Video today announced that it has ordered God of War to series. Co-produced by Sony Pictures Television and Amazon Studios in association with PlayStation Productions, the live-action series is based on the critically acclaimed PlayStation video game by the same name, created by Santa Monica Studio. God of War will premiere on Prime Video in more than 240 countries and territories worldwide.

The series follows Kratos, the God of War, who, after exiling himself from his blood-soaked past in ancient Greece, hangs up his weapons forever in the Norse realm of Midgard. When his beloved wife dies, Kratos sets off on a dangerous journey with his estranged son to spread her ashes from the highest peak - his wife's final wish. Kratos soon realizes the journey is an epic quest in disguise, one which will test the bonds between father and son, and force Kratos to battle new Gods and monsters for the fate of the world.

"The God of War is a compelling, character-driven franchise that we believe will captivate our global customers as much with its expansive and immersive worlds as its rich storytelling," said Vernon Sanders, head of global television at Amazon Studios. "We are honored to share in the adventure of exploring the God of War mythology in such a momentous way with Sony Pictures Television, PlayStation Productions, and Santa Monica Studio."

"We are so proud and excited to be working with our friends at Amazon Studios and our partners at PlayStation Productions to adapt this beautiful and heartbreaking game into a premium live-action series," said Katherine Pope, president of Sony Pictures Television Studios. "Rafe, Mark and Hawk are crafting a transportive series that charts a path through the ancient mythological journey of Kratos."

"God of War is one of PlayStation's most awarded video games, so we're excited to partner with Sony Pictures Television and Amazon Studios to bring our beloved franchise to fans and new audiences in a bold and authentic way," said Asad Qizilbash, head of PlayStation Productions.

Rafe Judkins (The Wheel of Time) serves as showrunner and executive produces the series. Academy Award Nominees Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby (Iron Man, Children of Men) will serve as writers and also executive produce. Santa Monica Studio's Studio Creative Director, Cory Barlog will also serve as executive producer. Additional executive producers include Playstation Productions Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan, Santa Monica Studio's Yumi Yang as well as Vertigo's Roy Lee. Santa Monica Studio's Jeff Ketcham will serve as a co-executive producer.

3 hours ago, Satam said:

There's sooo much Norse stuff on tv these days. An adaptation of the earlier games with Kratos fighting gods and monsters in ancient Greece would be more welcome. At least IMO.

I agree. Those old games are dated and prime material for retelling. Unfortunately that isn’t going to happen

Uuuughhh, kill me now. Prime is primed to take another beloved property destroy it through alternate media. Hopefully the game creators maintain some sort of control over the creative process as to not let if succumb to the typical failings of other Prime shows.

You never know, I'm sure the new show based on the Last of Us will be a smash.