DC Multiverse Outsells Marvel Legends In 2021?!?

JayC

This is toy related story of the year for me so far! Love the competition. I quit both lines (though I had to buy legends sleep walker) and not being biased but just observing....my own 8 to 12 targets near me: hasbro legends always sells faster than mcfarlane while mcfarlane multiverse for the most part pegwarms. The items that hurt legends were shang chi and eternals. If not for both waves, legends would be non existent on my target shelves.

All I can say is the places I frequent pretty much run out of ML right away while the DC stuff just sits on the shelf.

I also don't have any faith in McFarlane to give us figures we want.  I'm still sitting on the same JL Animated figures from the launch and haven't had any more. Marvel and Hasbro just seem to give me a lot more fill of what I want. 

I buy far more Hasbro products than McFarlane. Marvel, Star Wars Black, GI Joe Classified, Transformers, and Fortnite. Even some Power Rangers. I buy a bit of DCM, but since I'm not a hardcore Batman fan, the endless variants of him do not interest me (I'll but nearly any of his villains though)

I agree with many posts here. The ways the numbers are calculated may be skewed, plus Eternals and Shang-chi may have been slow sales in addition to endless delays of new Star Wars figures. I like some of Todd's stuff, but his lines are usually the first ones that get cut when watching the Budget. I like DC and Marvel pretty much equally, so I dont have a real bias one way or the other...its more of a combination of quality control and character choices, despite the lower price point.

Its kind of funny, when i started to really get into collecting, I was collecting McF stuff back in the day and hated legends when they first came out bc they were too "segmenty". skip about 20 years and here i am with a crap ton of Legends and 2 mcf figures that are MK11 stuff. 

I find this kind of a hard pill to swallow. Hasbro has more lines and are sometimes very hard to come by. In comparison, I see tons of McF stuff lining the pegs. I dont know if hasbro just doesnt give enough stock or McF gives too much stock but I know Hasbro provides more appealing products overall than McF for me. He does have some great offerings and its nice to see hes added some articulation but everything ive seen seems to be articulation just for articulation sake and not all of his cuts seem to be there for purpose. I do have to say tho, McF has definitely come up pretty well in comparison to other toy companies out right now on store shelves. 

Makes sense to me. Technically, they are not competitors, but simply similar products. ML is a 6" line and has been top of the heap for a long time now. DCM is a 7" line and they are more statue than "action" figure. Part of me thinks, though we all hoped McFarlane would delve into the 6" market, that he did the line at 7" a) because he had just recently had articulation experience with only a 7" format and b) he really didn't want to compete with ML as they had consistently trounced Mattel's DCM on a regular yearly basis.

I'm not a fan of the McFarlane toys as per their "playability", scale issues even within it's own line and facial likeness, but they look good for the most part and the detail is top notch. I do hope they do fairly well as I still hold out hope that a good performance by McFarlane at 7" it might convince the top dogs a Warner (now Paramount) to award a license to a company such as Jazzwares or Spinmaster to do a true 6" scale line to compete with ML.

Spent a lot on both lines but probably more on McFarlane. I also see a lot less McFarlane DC on shelves esp when new crap arrives. Certain pegwarmers persist, but most of Marvel's 2021 lineup was one big pegwarmer given their Kung Pow Phooey and The Young and the Restless lines didn't sell with the latter still clogging most aisles.

“Yeah, that checks out.” he says while faking he understand’s what Ting’s talking about.

Truth be told, I feel like Todd is (and has been for a long time) a talker. He seems to like bragging when something goes his way, or when he perceives something going his way. I honestly doubt McFarlane sold more than Hasbro, just number wise it doesn’t add up, you know? Like he just went and said “well, if we sell everything under the same umbrella we’re obviously gonna out sell them” just to get the apparent upper hand. Like a man in a padded shirt believing he’s actually more muscular. 

Anyway, what a time to be a toy collector, am I right? 

It seemed like McFarlane was pumping out a new wave of figures every week. It felt like he had a very limited window with the DC license so he was trying to grab as much cash as possible, rather than building a brand over years, or even decades, as in Marvel Legends case. If one outsells the other in a particular business cycle, that doesn't mean they've won the race.

All in all, I do have a fondness for both, but, while Marvel Legends continues to just toss a new paint job on the same old body molds, McFarlane uses uniques sculpts for every figure. I do wish that the paint was as strong as the sculpt in most cases, but they do make for great custom fodder. At the same time, Marvel Legends continues to give us new characters, where McFarlane has a batman for every occasion. There's still a lot of great and a lot of less than great to be said about both.

I'm not sure if it was the best line, but I can see how it would be the best selling despite many annoying hiccups with this. I think I got more marvel legends than DC multiverse but this year I plan to get a lot of the newer releases mcfarlane has placed out rather than ML. I do love and collect both lines, for years now. Funny for me, I collected more BAF waves under the mattel line rather than McFarlane, but with McFarlane I feel I have the option to pick and choose. When it comes to BAF's so far, ML takes the cake for me, I got 6 ML BAF waves last year. 

I have a very hard time believing anything DC could outsell Marvel in these MCU-crazed times, least of all McFarlane's ugly figures. They have the grossest gummy-looking paint apps, limited range of motion on the joints, and a character selection mostly focusing on the latest comic stories instead of popular classic renditions. (Is anyone else sick of Heavy Meta Bats and Supes clogging up Target shelves and falling down on you every time you try to check the Transformers pegs?) I'm much more inclined to believe Ting, especially since he's given a clear explanation as to how the calculations were, how shall we say, less than scrupulous.

• Like 1