The End Of The DC Multiverse Side-Eye, Batman 66 Julie Newmar Catwoman And McFarlane Toys Wins An Award For #1 Action Figure Manufacturer in the U.S. and Canada

JayC

Yesterday Todd McFarlane held a live chat on Discord which primarily focused on his Oddkey NFT project. While I personally didn't catch it, according to mcfarlanedcmultiverse some questions in regards to DC Multiverse did come up.

First a question in regards to how many of the recent DC Multiverse figures have had face sculpts where the eyes are painted as if the figure is looking off to the side came up. The reason for this is because Todd thinks when the figure is looking ahead they just look like mannequins. However he has heard the fan complaints about it and that its something they will address with the figures looking more ahead. However being many figures are already in the production pipeline, so this is likely something we won't see change for a little bit.

For the 66 Batman 6" line we can expect to see a Julie Newmar Catwoman figure which will be shown off soon, but won't be seeing a Yvonne Craig version due to hold ups with Craig's estate.

Finally the folks at McFarlane Toys this morning sent out a press release stating that they were awarded the #1 Action Figure Manufacturer in the U.S. and Canada in 2021 by the The NPD Group which is marketing research firm used by many retail business offering point-of-sale data, retail sales tracking, advisory, and analytic research services. See the full press release below:

Press Release:

McFarlane Toys has received top honors in The NPD Group’s 2021 Toy Industry Performance Awards. The company received recognition for its DC Multiverse Collection in the 2021 Super category of Top-Selling Action Figures and Accessories for the U.S and Canada, making McFarlane Toys the #1 Action Figure Manufacturer in the U.S and Canada.

In 2020, McFarlane Toys successfully launched its best-selling DC Multiverse lines with 7-inch to 12-inch ultra-posable action figures, accessories, and vehicles to bring dozens of iconic DC comic books, video games, and feature films' stable characters to life at mass and specialty retailers globally. The DC Multiverse Collection quickly grew as one of the fastest-growing McFarlane Toys lines in its history and continues to experience strong sales performance at retailers globally.

McFarlane Toys is known for its artistic and creatively designed toys. Under the helm of Todd McFarlane, it produces highly detailed action figures of the DC Multiverse iconic heroes and villains.

“At McFarlane Toys, we consider ourselves very fortunate to be in an industry that not only has survived through the complications that the world is dealing with but, in some cases, has thrived. The toy industry has been a much healthier business than many others in the past two years. But you also have to have strong brands at times to go with that success," said Todd McFarlane, McFarlane Toys CEO and Creative Force. “Warner Bros, with their strong DC Multiverse characters, have proven themselves globally to be the type of characters that millions of people want to take home in some form or another. And now it has been proven as the DC Multiverse figures we produced last year were taken home at a higher rate than some of our competitors, including Avengers, Star Wars, and more. It’s a testament to the continuing strength of that brand. Lastly, thanks to all the geeks and moms for supporting us last year. Obviously, we couldn’t have done it without you either. You guys are the true champs.”

In 2022, McFarlane Toys will introduce several exciting new DC Multiverse product categories, including the new Todd McFarlane-designed DC Direct Collectible statues, busts, and figures. Tune into McFarlane Toys digital channels for upcoming news on future reveals and line-up announcements during the McFarlane Toys Winter Showcase February 25-27, 2022.

The NPD Group, a leading global information company, awards and recognizes the top-selling toys, properties, and manufacturers globally and in the United States, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, and Europe according to NPD’s Retail Tracking Service.

Side-Eye.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BagmanBegins said:

Y’all complain too much.  

McFarlane is right, the side eye adds massive amounts of realism and personality to a sculpt.  

In particular, the Pattinson Batman figure.  He quite frequently moves his eyes and looks like that in a lot of stills from the movie.  It looks a lot more menacing.

I agree.  I don't want all my figures having to Micahel Keaton their heads around.  Its lame and they look lifeless.  The side eye was a great way to do the over the should look that so many heroes do in the comics and makes for some fun posing possibilities.  We spend way too much time whining about things that aren't a problem in this hobby and it makes the stuff that does matter get ignored because our community just sounds like whiny babies. 

Well deserved. You know what hooked me? PRICE & AVAILABILITY. McFarlane is killing it by offering a good product that is in stock 3 pegs wide at a good price. Yes there are always multiples and peg warmers but they clearance-out but still clearly leave more than enough profit when taken/averaged with strong sellers to drive the continued success of the line.

I'm not even particularly interested in DC characters but Hazmat Batman looked like it could be a cool conversion into a Rifts Deadboy and the Edrogon Demon figure just looked like a cool fantasy orc/demon. I started off just buying some on clearance and now I'm 50/50 buying new vs picking up clearance figures when I see them. Even new they are minimum $3-$5 less each than comparable figures from other lines in the 6" and 7" scale.

I'm glad McFarlane is listening to his customers output and will be addressing the complaints about the side eye situation. It doesn't personally bother me but can see where this can be an issue. My issue with McFarlane is the qc issues on some of his products, the Batman Year Two figure I got came with two broken arms right out of the package, the Demon figure has issues standing and this is just the issues I'm having. 

Hopefully Todd has heard and will eventually address these issues.

• Thanks 1

Yea, the side eye thing is really not a great artistic choice in my opinion. But DC Multiverse has been one of the action figure lines I've enjoyed the most. I love Legends but I don't really see that line as being in the same level as Multiverse. 

I was very welcoming to the side eyes. Todd's right, it makes the whole collection less mannequin.  I do think it may be fun repaints down the line for 2 packs or something to look straight.

Sometimes you have to be innovation and show customers what they can have instead of what they think they want.

4 hours ago, 80sboy4 said:

Year Two figure I got came with two broken arms right out of the package, the Demon figure has issues standing and this is just the issues I'm having. 

Hopefully Todd has heard and will eventually address these issues.

A quick tip that might help, check if the ankle joints and feets are pegged/plugged in all the way in, I was really disappointed with Steppenwolf for not being able to make him stand and when I was about to throw him in a box I noticed the balls used in the ankles were didn't seem right, I tried to press all the way in and it's standing still with no problem after that

I can understand how the side eye can effect collectors who want to pose the figures in specific ways. Especially those who do photography. I would love to see multiple head sculpts to get around this but I know that would prevent McFarlane from keeping the figures at a $20 price point.