Mattel Films and Netflix Partner on Masters of the Universe Live-Action Motion Picture from The Nee Brothers With Kyle Allen to Star as He-Man

JayC

Mattel, Inc. (NASDAQ: MAT) and Netflix announced today they are developing Masters of the Universe, Mattel’s iconic franchise from the 1980s, into a live-action motion picture which is expected to begin production in summer 2022. The Nee Brothers (The Lost City, Band of Robbers) co-direct from a screenplay, written by the Nee’s and David Callaham (Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Wonder Woman 1984). Rising talent Kyle Allen (West Side Story) will star as Prince Adam/He-Man.

When an orphan named Adam discovers he is a prince destined to be the savior of a faraway land, he must quickly learn of his power and the importance of saving his true home from an evil force.

“Masters of the Universe is an iconic property that shaped the imaginations of an entire generation of kids in the eighties with the message of becoming the best version of yourself. With our partners at Netflix, we look forward to showing audiences that anything can happen in Eternia. We are continuing to unlock this global franchise in new ways, and we can’t wait to see Kyle battle it out with Skeletor in this epic live-action saga,” said Robbie Brenner, executive producer of Mattel Films.

“We’ve always been inspired by the fantastical world of Eternia,” said producers Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and Steve Tisch. “This movie has been 14 years in the making for us and our partners and we are so excited to tell an entirely new story for Masters of the Universe with the Nee Brothers and Dave Callaham for Mattel and Netflix and share it with a global audience.”

Brenner and Kevin McKeon (VP of Mattel Films) will lead the project for Mattel Films. Todd Black, Jason Blumenthal and Steve Tisch (Being the Ricardos, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, Fences, The Equalizer, The Upside) and DeVon Franklin will produce. The project was formerly in development at Sony.

Last summer, Mattel and Netflix partnered to bring Eternia back to screens in two series. Masters of the Universe: Revelation, a continuation of the classic storyline from the 1980s. Kevin Smith served as the showrunner which featured an all-star voice cast including Mark Hamill, Lena Headey, Chris Wood and Sarah Michelle Gellar, to name a few. Netflix also launched He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, a dazzling CG-animated series which reimagined the thrilling heroic adventures of the Guardians of Grayskull for this next generation of fans.

Since its creation in 1982, the Masters of the Universe franchise has become a cultural phenomenon spanning toys, television, film, comics, books, and video games. It’s transcended generations and ignited passion amongst fans around the world. Now, more than 30 years later, Mattel is bringing Masters of the Universe back to delight long-standing fans and introduce a new generation to Eternia and the thrilling, heroic adventures of the Guardians of Grayskull. From the beginning, the brand was built upon the message of becoming the best version of yourself.

Masters of the Universe was first introduced to the world in 1982 through a line of action figures. In 1983, the animated series He-Man and the Masters of the Universe™ premiered and became one of the first kids’ show to be syndicated on television.

Kyle-Allen-age.jpg

• Like 1

I can see this dude playing Prince Adam.  But unless they go all CGI on him, he better start bangin and clangin the weights and poppin steriods to take the role of He-Man.

• Like 1

There is no way the people behind that new Masters of the Universe movie are going to C.G.I that new actor's body into He-Man. This actor will work out, he will get in shape the way Henry Cavill got in shape playing Superman. This is He-man we are talking about, not the Hulk.

"When an orphan named Adam discovers he is a prince destined to be the savior of a faraway land..."  How is this Masters of the Universe?  I don't mild alterations to a franchise to keep each iteration fresh and exciting (e.g. TMNT 2012, MotU 2003, Transformers Animated, Superman and Lois), but making Adam completely unaware of Eternia or the kingdom of Eternos just seems a little too different. I'm sure it'll be another dumpster fire like all of Netflix's live-action adaptations of animated series.

22 minutes ago, SwordOfGreg said:

"When an orphan named Adam discovers he is a prince destined to be the savior of a faraway land..."  How is this Masters of the Universe?  I don't mild alterations to a franchise to keep each iteration fresh and exciting (e.g. TMNT 2012, MotU 2003, Transformers Animated, Superman and Lois), but making Adam completely unaware of Eternia or the kingdom of Eternos just seems a little too different. I'm sure it'll be another dumpster fire like all of Netflix's live-action adaptations of animated series.

It's the same o' same o'... Basically every movie ever made about superheroes or comic books or cartoons have never followed the original storyline.  Movie companies have to dummy up the storyline for people to make it interesting if they don't know anything about the characters.  They do it for TV shows as well...

• 3 weeks later...

I get having to change a few things to make it a bit more relatable to a larger audience but again with the pulling it off Eternia? It doesn't do anything to piss off the fan base to start things. 

6 hours ago, Hordak Rules said:

I get having to change a few things to make it a bit more relatable to a larger audience but again with the pulling it off Eternia? It doesn't do anything to piss off the fan base to start things. 

Yeah, let them be on eternia.  Let transformers be on Cybertron.  Learn the lesson from guardians of the Galaxy and set them where they belong.  However I didn't feel like they were saying they were taking it away from the planet.

I hate to be so negative, but these two look like they're just giving a bunch of empty lip service. They look less like guys that know anything about the MOTU franchise and more like they were given a list of bullet points by Mattel. I get very strong "answering the teacher's question about a book I didn't actually read" vibe from them.

• 2 weeks later...