G.I. Joe Classified 6" Retro Carded Baroness Discovered At Walmart

JayC

Thanks to the_toy_man_80s we have our first in-hand look at the new G.I. Joe Classified 6" Retro Carded Baroness which he found this morning at his local Walmart. Hasbro only partially announced this figure last Friday showing a digital render of the figure with no packaging shots. This image confirms what we pretty much knew the figures will come on cardbacks reminiscent of the original toyline including file cards. The figure costs $22.99 and was found in Pasco Wa.

On the back of the cardback we see Lady Jaye and blacked out images of Destro and Gung-Ho which Hasbro also showed digital renders of last week. Both Baroness and Lady Jaye are currently listed on the Walmart website but still using codenames and no official images

GIJ RETRO CARDBACK CHARACTER MARS

GIJ RETRO CARDBACK CHARACTER ROCKET

While Hasbro has yet to officially confirm it, all indications suggest this line will be exclusive to Walmarts here in the US. Check back soon for more in-hand images and thanks to Toy Man 80s for the info.

Check out this video of the figure out of the package over on Toy Man 80s Plastic Adventures Podcast YouTube Channel

We have also added images below of the figure out the package.

Note while Toy Man 80s did not have the Target exclusive Baroness figure in hand for comparison, I took the liberty of taking pictures of mine and making some side-by-side comparisons of the two different figures. The new Retro one has more glossy black paint but the belt buckle is not painted. The faces are also different.

GIJoe-Retro-Baroness-01.jpg

GIJoe-Retro-Baroness.jpg

Baroness-00.jpg

Baroness-01.jpg

Baroness-02.jpg

Baroness-03.jpg

Baroness-04.jpg

Baroness-05.jpg

Baroness-06.jpg

Baroness-07.jpg

Baroness-08.jpg

Baroness-09.jpg

Baroness-10.jpg

Baroness-11.jpg

Baroness-12.jpg

Baroness-13.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, JayC said:

Thanks to the_toy_man_80s we have our first in-hand look at the new G.I. Joe Classified 6" Retro Carded Baroness which he found this morning at his local Walmart. Hasbro only partially announced this figure last Friday showing a digital render of the figure with no packaging shots. This image confirms what we pretty much knew the figures will come on cardbacks reminiscent of the original toyline including file cards. The figure costs $22.99 and was found in Pasco Wa.

On the back of the cardback we see Lady Jaye and blacked out images of Destro and Gung-Ho which Hasbro also showed digital renders of last week. Both Baroness and Lady Jaye are currently listed on the Walmart website but still using codenames and no official images.

GIJ RETRO CARDBACK CHARACTER MARS

GIJ RETRO CARDBACK CHARACTER ROCKET

While Hasbro has yet to officially confirm it, all indications suggest this line will be exclusive to Walmarts here in the US. Check back soon for more in-hand images and thanks to Toy Man 80s for the info.

GIJoe-Retro-Baroness-01.jpg

GIJoe-Retro-Baroness.jpg

Very nice...😎✌️

I like the style that Hasbro is going after here but do not like that this is a Walmart exclusive. The stores around me do not stock G.I. Joe figures period and have not seen these made available on their website. Luckily I do have the Target exclusive Baroness with bike.

It looks like she is destined to be available only as an exclusive 🤷‍♂️

admittedly when i saw the render i felt and still feel weirded out to see just only 1 of her 3 or 4? Cobra sigils painted and the rest bland, but i do kinda like how she looks, those gaps on the face are gonna haunt me for sure but i wouldn't display her without glasses so that ain't a problem and while the weapons are still sci-fi theme they don't bother me (unless it's the firefly gun, that i don't like at all).

I like this in concept more then actual execution, card and all of that, yeah cool, re-releasing Baroness single packed cool, honestly this feels like less of a figure though, the original release of Baroness seemed far more detailed and better done IMO. I think it's crazy that this figure is already out though and somebody just randomly found it so early.

17 hours ago, K9K1N6 said:

admittedly when i saw the render i felt and still feel weirded out to see just only 1 of her 3 or 4? Cobra sigils painted and the rest bland, but i do kinda like how she looks, those gaps on the face are gonna haunt me for sure but i wouldn't display her without glasses so that ain't a problem

The unpainted Cobra emblems on the belt and wrist guards are accurate to the '84 figure, but without the red paint there it just looks unfinished and a little half-assed.  The retro packaging, assuming one can find it not bent all to hell, would be something that would ordinarily very much appeal to MIP collectors, so having the glasses separate in there pretty much assures that almost no one will display it like that.  It's a shame, because aside from looking like a thinner card that the Retro Marvel and Star Wars releases, and the obviously weird thing with the glasses, it's otherwise a pretty nice presentation. Leaving out the rifle, moving the pistols lower down and putting the glasses on the face could also allow for a shorter bubble, which help make this thing look even better. A fuller bio on the file card on the back would help a lot, too. I have a feeling the small amount of copy there won't satisfy most of the collectors who have been clamoring for their return.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think I will need to have it in my hand to see if it worth it, I already have the Target version so it will really be up to the packaging to convince me to pull the trigger.

Kinda seems like missed opportunity for the Retro line, Instead of this simple repaint they could easily update this figure into less armored  and more classic retro catsuit look with double joints and new headsculpt, even if it took them another year or so before we could see it.

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

The upcoming Walmart Exclusive G.I. Joe Classified 6" Retro Carded Baroness And Lady Jaye figures from Hasbro are available for pre-order now on Walmart's website. You have to scroll down to the listings that say GIJ RETRO CARDBACK CHARACTER MARS (Baroness) and GIJ RETRO CARDBACK CHARACTER ROCKET (Lady Jaye) and add them to your cart. If you click on the actual listings it will take you to the main Walmart Collector-Con page. These officially are supposed to go up for pre-order for that event which begins next week on March 24.

• Thanks 1

The problem with these is I need them mint on card and even if hypothetically these were well stocked on shelves it doesn’t matter since I don’t have a Walmart near me and mail order from Walmart is almost guaranteed to arrive damaged (or just get cancelled).