Hasbro Expands Relationship With Disney’s Lucasfilm, Extending Star Wars License and Adding New Deal for Indiana Jones Franchise - New Figures In 2023

JayC

Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAS) today announced an extended relationship with Lucasfilm, renewing its longstanding licensing deal for Star Wars™, and announcing a new agreement to develop products based on the Indiana Jones™ franchise. As a master toy licensee for both franchises, Hasbro will continue to create toys and games designed to appeal to fans of all ages for the Star Wars franchise and is excited to start on designs for the Indiana Jones franchise. The Indiana Jones line by Hasbro will be available in the U.S. in 2023, aligning with the release of the highly anticipated new Indiana Jones feature film.

The two companies have a decades-long strategic merchandising relationship, as Hasbro has developed and manufactured toys and games for a variety of entertainment properties from Disney. In addition to the agreements with Disney with respect to the Lucasfilm properties, Hasbro announced a multi-year extension for the Marvel business in 2020 and is continuing its strong Marvel relationship with an impressive slate of upcoming content, products, and more. Hasbro’s collaboration with Disney continues to bring consumers opportunities to express their fandom in all new ways through Hasbro’s ever-expanding collections of licensed toys and games.

“We’re proud to deepen our close working relationship and collaborate with the Disney team to bring innovative and engaging play experiences to kids, fans, and families inspired by some of the world’s most iconic entertainment brands,” said Eric Nyman, Chief Consumer Officer, Hasbro. “In addition to a slate of new collectibles, figures, role play gear, and games for Star Wars and Marvel, it’s an honor to bring Indiana Jones back to Hasbro and help introduce the beloved franchise to a new generation of fans.”

“Disney has long valued its relationship with Hasbro in developing fresh, imaginative products and toys that delight our fans of all ages,” said Stephanie Young, President of Disney Consumer Products, Games and Publishing. “We’re thrilled to continue collaborating with this iconic company—one that will help lift our consumer experiences across the Marvel, Star Wars and now Indiana Jones franchises to new heights for years to come.”

The forthcoming Indiana Jones product line marks Hasbro’s return to the franchise; Hasbro last produced Indiana Jones toys in 2008, when Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was released. Prior to that, Kenner, which is now part of Hasbro, made toys for the original Raiders of the Lost Ark film from 1982-1983.

Hasbro is proud to maintain a strong connection with Disney, the creator of some of the most celebrated and everlasting entertainment franchises and looks forward to continuing its storied relationship with new product lines for Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Marvel and many more initiatives in the future.

Indiana-Jones.jpg

• Thanks 1

According to today's video, the new IJ line should start off with 'classic' items, then lead into the new film; maybe that will avoid some of the problems with the '07/'08 line? Assuming there is a 6" line, I'd like to see some of the 'final waves' figures in that scale, Henry Jones, Short Round, Mola  Ram, etc...

Hopefully Willow will also be announced as the Disney+ series gets closer?

5 hours ago, Satam said:

???

Do you mean old Indiana from Crystal Skull, or are you possibly talking about Henry Jones Sr.?

Surely he’s talking about Sr. Lol.  “Your best, losers talk about their best. Winners go home with….no wait wrong movie. “I’ve found a cure for the plague of the 21 century,  and now I’ve lost it. Haven’t you ever lost anything dr Bronx? Your car keys perhaps.  

6 hours ago, LordVenger said:

Surely he’s talking about Sr. Lol.  “Your best, losers talk about their best. Winners go home with….no wait wrong movie. “I’ve found a cure for the plague of the 21 century,  and now I’ve lost it. Haven’t you ever lost anything dr Bronx? Your car keys perhaps.  

Perhaps, but I had to ask, and I'd still like to read his answer.  I've never heard of Henry Sr. referred to as "Papa Indy," since Indy is a nickname that only his son carried. Not calling you out, @Lord_Scareglow, just really curious now.
BTW, deep cut there, quoting Medicine Man. Super underrated movie.

6 hours ago, Satam said:

Perhaps, but I had to ask, and I'd still like to read his answer.  I've never heard of Henry Sr. referred to as "Papa Indy," since Indy is a nickname that only his son carried. Not calling you out, @Lord_Scareglow, just really curious now.
BTW, deep cut there, quoting Medicine Man. Super underrated movie.

I Was talking about Henry Jones Sr. calling him Papa Indy is of course something exclusive to me, which I forgot when I typed it, yeah when I was young and watched Last Crusade I used to call him Papa Indy, Ha sorry for confusion.

Last week Hasbro officially announced that they had extended their licensing deal with LucasFilm and Disney to do action figures based on the Indiana Jones franchise. Now this really shouldn't come as a big surprise for anyone knowing how close Hasbro and LucasFilm have been with Star Wars over the years. Not to mention the last time we saw Indy figures as mass retail was back around 2008 which were figures also released by Hasbro. These were released in conjunction with the last movie Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Back then Hasbro did a mix of figures based on the original movies and the new one in 3.75" scale.

Now we have another Indy movie coming in 2023, currently slated for a June release and so it makes perfect sense there would be another action figure tie-in headed up by Hasbro. So what exactly can we expect to see from Hasbro this time around? While Hasbro's press release last week was light on details, I have done some checking of my own and I can tell you we can expect a similar type of release as last time were we will see a mix of figures based on the original movies as well as the new one. The BIG difference from 2008 and now is the scale of the figures. The primary focus this time would appear to be 6" figures. I have not seen anything for the smaller 3.75" scale as of yet. This is just speculation on my part, but if we see any new 3.75" figures from Hasbro my guess is they would end up being released as some kind of store exclusive.

As for the 6" figures. Those will be general mass retail releases though we will probably see a store exclusive here and there as well. I don't have any specific case assortments to share with you but indications suggests we should start off with a strong showing of figures based on the classic movies and then as we get closer to the new movies release we will see figures based on it. The 6" Indy figures should be in keeping with other 6" lines from Hasbro like Marvel Legends, Star Wars Black Series, G.I. Joe Classified, Power Rangers Lightning Collection and Ghostbusters Plasma Series.

Again just speculation on my part but I could totally see Hasbro doing some kind of 6" Han Solo/Indy (Harrison Ford) 2-pack. When more details become available we will be sure to pass it on to you and of course until Hasbro officially confirms any of these we will treat this as RUMOR, but if you have always wanted Indy figures to go with your Marvel Legends, Black Series or GIJoe Classified, I would say you should soon be getting your wish.

Hasbro-Indiana-Jones.jpg

"Again just speculation on my part but I could totally see Hasbro doing some kind of 6" Han Solo/Indy (Harrison Ford) 2-pack."

Ha! That's a great idea! Maybe even find a way to do a callback to the fact that kenner repurposed the han solo head for their 12 inch indy figure.

im personally hoping for stuff from temple of doom (not a popular choice I know). A mine cart playset could be fun.

I agree that these Indy toys for next year probably are going to be a mix of figures from the movies possibly  all 5 movies. Most likely  a release  date for all the Indy toys at retail  we haven't  had  a  release date in awhile from Hasbro  for a movie like this. I also agree these toys will probably  be 6" scale. I don't  think Indy toys will be 3.75 scale unless they plan on making vehicles  which I think is doubtful. But I would  enjoy a 3.75 line and buy them if it happened. Still waiting  all these years for a mine cart set from TOD and a German  Motorcycle  with sidecar that I believe was prototypyed but never made. Also. There are some characters like Dietrich that were protoyped but never made.  I think this would  be our last shot at an Indy toy line in that 3.75 scale.

I also feel that Hasbro might focus on smaller scales like the mission series  scale possibly  for Indy toys instead of 3.75 scale. I personally  don't  like  this idea but I would  possibly  eventually  buy these toys. But if a 6" toy line non exclusive and an exclusive  3.75 toy line were made for one retailer  I would  be  alright with that. Really  want that German Motorcycle  with sidecar though. One of my favorite  scenes from TLC. But I would  definitely  buy an Indy toy line in 6" scale.

On 1/27/2022 at 4:43 AM, DiscoCougar said:

With the newest rumors about Indy 5 being out there I'm real curious what the toys are gonna be, lol

I think it will be a mix of toys from the first 3 movies maybe focused on ROTLA and most likely  TLC. TOD possibly  and I hope not KOTCS. And Most likely  Indy 5 will be the bulk of the toy line. With exclusives  possibly  going to Gamestop, Target, Amazon.com  and  Walmarts.  I could see a small line of classic 3.75 figures going exclusive  to Walmart  for maybe  3 to 6 months maybe but it really  depends  on what hasbro  and the retailers  want to do here. I think the bulk of the toy line will be 6" scale figures with exclusives to certain  retailers and possibly  con exclusives most likely  from Indy 5 or the other movies. I would like a 6" ROTLA preview  figure maybe as an exclusive  to a retailer or fan channel  similar to what hasbro did with gijoe classified Snake eyes 00

Maybe  any Indy with removable  coat or extra accessories  in a special  box exclusive  to Hasbropulse.com or Amazon.com  or fanchannel exclusive but that is me

With possibly  Steve Evans working  on  this toyline I know that there is a possibility  of  3.75 figures but it will probably  be an exclusive to a certain retailer line. I don't  think in this age vehicles are viable but not sure on that. But I think this line will mainly be 6" figures.

1 hour ago, Fozzi said:

With possibly  Steve Evans working  on  this toyline I know that there is a possibility  of  3.75 figures but it will probably  be an exclusive to a certain retailer line. I don't  think in this age vehicles are viable but not sure on that. But I think this line will mainly be 6" figures.

Re-release the Cap WWII bike :)

2 hours ago, Bespin refugee said:

This seems like an  obvious  exclusive  modified repack w Indy, it needs a sidecar for Henry Sr, though

Marvel-Legends-Ultimate-Cap-With-Bike-09__scaled_600.jpg

That's a Harley. The bike with sidecar from Last Crusade was a Dnepr (Ukrainian motorcycle), so it would be super inaccurate if they were to try that. And they likely won't, because Hasbro frequently says that they don't share tooling between lines.

Here’s what I’m hoping for:

Variants of Harrison Ford Indy for all 5 movies.

River Phoenix Indy. Corey Carrier Indy. Sean Patrick Flannery Indy. George Hall Indy.

Marion Ravenwood. Willie Scott. Elsa Schneider.

Henry Jones Sr (both Sean Connery and Lloyd Owen). Henry “Mutt” Jones III.

Short Round.

Sallah (John Rhys Davies). Marcus Brody. Harold Oxley.

Belloq. Mola Ram. Walter Donovan. Irina Spalko.

And yes, they will have to include pistol accessories.

I agree that a 6 inch line seems like the logical guess. I remember when they showcased the 2008 line at Toy Fair they were pushing that the Indy line was compatible with the new 3 3/4 GI Joe line they were putting out. The problem was, the Joe figures were actually a little bigger than 3 3/4 and the Indiana Jones figures looked puny next to them. The point is, they obviously wanted to link a new line to an existing line, hoping to sweep in some collectors. Makes sense they would still want to do that. It's really working for the Joe line. I'd imagine they will be something like they current Joe line. I am really looking forward to seeing what they do.