Is Walmart's Retro G.I. Joe Line Making The Jump From 3 3/4" To 6"?

JayC

t looks like Hasbro and Walmart are relaunching the Retro G.I. Joe line, this time with 6" figures has opposed to 3.75" ones. New listings found via Hisstank have popped up on Walmart's website as follows:

GIJ RETRO CARDBACK CHARACTER MARS

GIJ RETRO CARDBACK CHARACTER ROCKET

The price of the two figures listed are $22.99 which is Hasbro's new standard 6" figure cost. The dimensions listed for each figure also match up with those of 6" figures. While they're no images and the listings are using code names, these code names have been used in the past for Baroness (Mars) and Lady Jaye (Rocket) in the past.

Hasbro recently launched a new 3.75" O-Ring G.I. Joe line which is exclusive to HasbroPulse and has previously stated the Walmart exclusive 3.75" G.I. Joe Retro line was on hiatus for now. So with Hasbro releasing 3.75" exclusively on their own wesbite, it makes since they might offer Walmart something new in the 6" department. The term Retro is likely in reference to the packaging. It's very possible this new line will consist of re-issues from the Classified line, only on more classic "Retro" 80's style cardbacks. The figures may have slight modifications, and in the case of Baroness where so far she has only been released with a motorcycle as a Target exclusive, this would be the first time she would be released on a single cardback. It's even possible we may see a regular release of this Baroness in the Classified line and then this Retro cardback one released exclusively at Walmart.These are the types of things we have seen Hasbro do with other action figure line such as Star Wars and Marvel.

Of course all this is more speculation than anything, but I would say these listings are worth keeping an eye on.

GIJoe-Retro.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'd say it's a safe bet these are just re-releases of the Classified figures on retro cards like we see Hasbro do with Legends and Black Series. I do however think it would be great to see a single carded Baroness for the people who missed out or just didn't want to buy her and a bike.

Lady Jaye again though, she is a pegwarmer , they can't throw these at people for free, which I don't understand, Lady Jaye is an awesome figure, I guess they just made too much of her and the rest of that wave, since Flint, Zartan and that Commander are also super easy to come by, which isn't a bad thing seeing as how hard Classifieds were to get when they first dropped, we just need that to be the case with the rest of the upcoming waves.

• Thanks 1

retro? 6 inch? 🤨 ok i gotta admit this is a totally random change of paste but not bad, seeing a single release of "comic/videogame" Baroness sounds ideal if the figure looks alright whether it's a new one or a repaint, and certainly my case i wouldn't mind getting a chance to buy Lady Jaye since the three "pegwarmers" haven't quite arrived on my stores which is weird, then again mexico gets things late.

But you know i was thinking of something interesting, a retro line with 6 inch figures, like what if and it's a not likely kind of scenario, but what if this retro line acts like the Marvel retro line, cards with blisters type of package, characters looking more closer to their classic looks or 80's cartoon look, with file cards? like i said, unlikely but just a random thought came to my head really.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, K9K1N6 said:

retro? 6 inch? 🤨 ok i gotta admit this is a totally random change of paste but not bad, seeing a single release of "comic/videogame" Baroness sounds ideal if the figure looks alright whether it's a new one or a repaint, and certainly my case i wouldn't mind getting a chance to buy Lady Jaye since the three "pegwarmers" haven't quite arrived on my stores which is weird, then again mexico gets things late.

But you know i was thinking of something interesting, a retro line with 6 inch figures, like what if and it's a not likely kind of scenario, but what if this retro line acts like the Marvel retro line, cards with blisters type of package, characters looking more closer to their classic looks or 80's cartoon look, with file cards? like i said, unlikely but just a random thought came to my head really.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Hasbro-G-I-Joe-Classified-Figura/dp/B08LZV56X9/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3FTOQK836HBYJ&keywords=g.i.+joe+classified+series&qid=1640815172&sprefix=G.I.+Joe%2Caps%2C64&sr=8-5

2 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

well i mean, more of a toy hunter kinda person, having bad luck with getting credit cards for it, but i appreciate the help 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I mean, really, this was the most logical next step. That's basically the process they're doing with the Masters Origins line. Doing the original figures in their basic original looks and incorporating the new articulation (and prices). This is the basic premise that most people with the funds to support it want, though the line is almost certain doomed to fail due to Mattel's typical 3 to 1 packing ratio for He-Man and Skeletor figures over "other" characters. If Hasbro can get that aspect right for Joe, and they can, it should be an easy hit.

5 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I'd say it's a safe bet these are just re-releases of the Classified figures on retro cards like we see Hasbro do with Legends and Black Series. I do however think it would be great to see a single carded Baroness for the people who missed out or just didn't want to buy her and a bike.

Lady Jaye again though, she is a pegwarmer , they can't throw these at people for free, which I don't understand, Lady Jaye is an awesome figure, I guess they just made too much of her and the rest of that wave, since Flint, Zartan and that Commander are also super easy to come by, which isn't a bad thing seeing as how hard Classifieds were to get when they first dropped, we just need that to be the case with the rest of the upcoming waves.

Straight re-releases seem unlikely, but I also don't think they'll be throwing in new parts-at least not right away. Repaints with fewer parts seems like the most likely scenario.
I assume Baroness will be the same but with an all black suit (no dark gray panels) and no gold on the glasses or handguns. None of the parts related to the COIL bike will be included and neither will the robotic cobra.
Lady Jaye will probably only come only with a cap (no unhatted hair piece), which will be painted black, and have a lighter green uniform (backpack to match) and one less javelin.

Also...Walmart exclusives. Joy. 🙄

2 hours ago, Satam said:

Straight re-releases seem unlikely, but I also don't think they'll be throwing in new parts-at least not right away. Repaints with fewer parts seems like the most likely scenario.
I assume Baroness will be the same but with an all black suit (no dark gray panels) and no gold on the glasses or handguns. None of the parts related to the COIL bike will be included and neither will the robotic cobra.
Lady Jaye will probably only come only with a cap (no unhatted hair piece), which will be painted black, and have a lighter green uniform (backpack to match) and one less javelin.

Also...Walmart exclusives. Joy. 🙄

Yes yes I guess I didn't sorta make that clear, I agree this is the direction, straight re-releases less likely..but I was speaking more like we all know what a retro card re-release on Hasbro's part is considering what they do with Legends, so yes same figure, some different paint, and probably less accessories.

who knows maybe they really trick us here and do the animated series colors? either way Walmart means I'll never see it.

8 hours ago, ghostbogey said:

Your Killing Me =^)

lol, wish i was kiddin though, to simply put, the banks on my place ridicule my id card as unreadable because it doesn't have any printed fingerprints, so unless i update it which i wish i knew when should be the right time without crowds, yes i would do so.

Then again i do somehow like the feeling of going to the store and seeing what options there are, kinda like yesterday when i got some new toys related to pokemon, they not had been no G.I. Joe Classified nor No way home Doctor Strange, not even the new DC Multiverse Batgirl, but still it was good of a sorts.

Greeeeeat......Another WM exclusive. As I assume these versions of the characters will be little more than repaints of the previous Classified versions with new paint deco and possible portrait tweeks, I'm gonna rest that I will be happy to avoid the hunt altogether because I was able to get both the current Lady Jaye and Baroness (with COIL) already. Between Target's Blink-And-Miss'em and Walmart's No Call/No Show exclusives, this line is getting very hard to be a fan of.