DC Multiverse 7" Platinum Edition Artist Proof Superman Figure Revealed

JayC

Thanks to legionoftoyz we have a look at a new DC Multiverse 7" Platinum Edition figure coming from McFarlane Toys. It's an unpainted version of the Rebirth Superman figure. Doing unpainted figures which are refereed to as "Artist Proof" versions is something we have seen McFarlane commonly do with their Warhammer 40k line. A while back Todd McFarlane had mentioned they planned to expand their unpainted figures into their other lines outside of Warhammer. This is the first unpainted figure we have seen them do for the DC Multiverse line.

The idea behind these unpainted figures is basically so you can paint them yourselves. If you didn't like how they painted the red stripes on the boots of the original figure, now you can see if you can do it better yourself.

DC-Multiverse-Artist-Proof-Superman.jpg

• Thanks 1

The other day we had told you about a DC Multiverse 7" Platinum Edition Artist Proof Superman coming from McFarlane Toys, and now we have a look at two more figures being released which comes via Ht Toyshop. These are for unpainted versions of the Gotham Knights Red Hood and Lobo figures. As mentioned before, the unpainted figures has been something McFarlane first started doing in their Warhammer 40k line and is now extending them into DC Multiverse. The idea behind them other than being an easy way to re-release the same figures a second time is to allow customizers to paint them themselves. The DC Multiverse ones seem to be getting released under the Platinum Edition banner which makes them chase type releases. It should be noted that the Lobo figure shown here does not have the Platinum sticker on it, but that may be due to it falling off or such. These figures have started showing up overseas, but have not been officially shown off by McFarlane Toys themselves, nor have they been found in the US yet.

Artist-Proof-Lobo.jpg

Artist-Proof-Red-Hood.jpg

Do they sell these for the same price as the printed ones?!? because that would be so dumb imo. I find it incredibly interesting and kind of stupid to release these but I get the draw for them. Its a good way for customizers to go ham. 

14 hours ago, EvilHayato said:

Do they sell these for the same price as the printed ones?!? because that would be so dumb imo. I find it incredibly interesting and kind of stupid to release these but I get the draw for them. Its a good way for customizers to go ham. 

Yes, they are on the same pegs as the painted figs if Warhammer is what you use to compare. McFarlane has now started releasing Warhammer unpainted versions of figures he hasn't released as painted yet so I hope he keeps this practice at a minimum. Unpainted versions makes total sense with Warhammer but not with anything else unless he were to make an actually new line that had nothing but unpainted versions from all of his various lines. 

33 minutes ago, obs said:

Yes, they are on the same pegs as the painted figs if Warhammer is what you use to compare. McFarlane has now started releasing Warhammer unpainted versions of figures he hasn't released as painted yet so I hope he keeps this practice at a minimum. Unpainted versions makes total sense with Warhammer but not with anything else unless he were to make an actually new line that had nothing but unpainted versions from all of his various lines. 

Yeah I actually thought it was incredibly brilliant that he did the proofs for warhammer. It was an impressive awareness of the brand hes got. 

Eh I'm not sure so much on the Lobo, how would you repaint it? Then again, there's no right or wrong way to redo these, to each his/her own. You don't even have to do anything with these, you can collect them for the sake of having artist proof-unpainted.