New Looks At The Haslab G.I. Joe Skystriker - Will It Get Funded???

JayC

16 hours ago, JayC said:

So far it's not really looking like its going to make it. With just over 2 days left it still only has 6,865 backers.

7,117 Backers when I just looked now

On 12/4/2021 at 3:38 AM, Faceless said:

Wow, okay, the Cobra stickers and figures may very well push this to 10k or higher.

that is very optimistic of you

doesn't look like the Rancor will make it either

4 hours ago, Goldbug said:

7,117 Backers when I just looked now

that is very optimistic of you

doesn't look like the Rancor will make it either

I was basing that on lots of diehards ordering a second because of the Cobra stickers. Maybe a few even army building because of Cobra, but is there a 2 per person limit?

4 hours ago, Faceless said:

I was basing that on lots of diehards ordering a second because of the Cobra stickers. Maybe a few even army building because of Cobra, but is there a 2 per person limit?

It's a 5 items per buyer...💡

Last night we saw Hasbro's Star Wars Black Series Haslab Rancor campaign FAIL to reach it's minimum backer goal of 9k people, making it only the second campaign and first for action figures to not succeed. In 2019 Hasbro did one of these campaigns for a 38" Tall Sesame Street Cookie Monster which wasn't able to move forward.

The Rancor however isn't the only Haslab campaign Hasbro has been running this past month. Along with the Rancor, Hasbro launched campaigns for a Ghostbusters Proton Pack replica and a G.I. Joe Skystriker vehicle. While the Ghostbusters Proton pack easily met it's minimum funding goals, the Skystriker has not.

As I type this the G.I. Joe Haslab Skystriker campaign has just over 14 hours left before ending and has 8,030 of the minimum 10k backers needed to be given a green light.

Like Hasbro's Rancor, the Skystriker has been struggling to meet it's goals, to the point where just the other day they had to throw in extra incentives with three additional Cobra O-Ring figures and a Cobra decal sticker sheet so you can make the jet look like it belongs to Cobra if you want. Besides just offering more, this also encourages you to buy more than one so you can have a G.I. Joe one and a Cobra one.

One advantage the Skystriker has over the Rancor, even without the Cobra stuff, one might consider the vehicle an "Army Builder" type item, meaning you may want to add more than one to your collection.

Unlike the Rancor, the Skystriker was launched as a way of kicking off their new 3 3/4" O-Ring G.I. Joe action figure line which will be sold exclusively on HasbroPulse. At PulseCon back in October Hasbro also opened pre-orders for the first two figures in this new line with a set featuring Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow. Because of this Hasbro may have more on the line in seeing this one succeed over the Rancor, though having anything for a major brand like Star Wars being perceived as a failure probably isn't going to make a lot of people within the company very happy.

Even after Hasbro announced the addition of the Cobra stuff, the project only got a minor boost in backers. As we head into the final hours its likely to pick up the pace of backers as Hasbro starts adding in international sales and those waiting until the last minute to throw their money into the pot. This is something we've already started seeing happen since yesterday. The question however remains, will it be enough. While I think there is a fairly decent chance the Skystriker will eek by it's minimum goal by tonight, the chances of it making any of its 3 stretch goals is far far less likely now, which is something that will deter some people from backing it.

Rancor-Failed__scaled_600.jpg

• Thanks 1

Well I'm a bit caught off guard, but I can say I'm really not all that surprised. I can honestly say I was initially just holding back to see how it was gonna pan out, but once I started to really look at the thing I realized how awful the thing looked, especially compared to it's predecessor, I bailed altogether. I'm a sucker for retro, but not a sucker for just anything Retro. Retro is the IT factor going on right now, but retro quality is taking it too literal.

The Skystriker was a different thing. I fully expected that thing to get funded, especially when you roll in the entire Army Builder aspect. I woulda thought a lot of Retro Joe fans would have bought at least two. I for one am not a huge fan of the 3/4 Joe line and the more I notice it seems like, though the "O" Ring crowd is strong and loyal, it seems like it's just not quite large enough to push the line into the future. I was a massive fan of the Joe cartoon, but even back in the 80's the toys were a major let down. I think it's just a concept that time just caught up with and passed by.

The Rancor was an overpriced cash grab. What worked for the Sentinel and Galactus (and I maintain those were overpriced as well, but compare this thing to those, and you see how ridiculous that price tag is) doesn't work for every project they have out there. To add insult, Hasbro tossed out tier figures that are already available, instead of giving them the obvious ones they wanted, then slapped the fans' faces with a sheet of cardboard, passing itself off as a "diorama". That is some straight up gall right there. 

The GI Joe Striker is also clearly overpriced. It does have some nice features but if its funded, its barely gonna squeak by and likely those unlocks will not be met.

The GI Joe line has been so poorly handled and botched every step of the way. They're only just now starting to listen to fans and fix some of those problems. At least, it looks that way. No one will know until the figures are actually in hand. They could price the Striker at something much more reasonable, and do enough of a good job so that their next project could be a Striker scaled for their 6" line. Money in the bank.

The real issue with these projects is this: Hasbro/Haslab is a business, and that "For Fans" tagline is a joke. Its For Profit. And that's not a bad thing; they're gonna do what they can, to make as much money off as little quality work as they can. Its up to the fans to let them know, they're not gonna plunk down cash for just whatever they put out. 

Skystriker is picking up new backers at a pretty good clip, now less than 500 needed to min backer goal with over 10hrs to go. If it maintains the current pace of new backers it may actually get to at least stretch goal #1

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

The Rancor was an overpriced cash grab. What worked for the Sentinel and Galactus (and I maintain those were overpriced as well, but compare this thing to those, and you see how ridiculous that price tag is) doesn't work for every project they have out there. To add insult, Hasbro tossed out tier figures that are already available, instead of giving them the obvious ones they wanted, then slapped the fans' faces with a sheet of cardboard, passing itself off as a "diorama". That is some straight up gall right there. 

The GI Joe Striker is also clearly overpriced. It does have some nice features but if its funded, its barely gonna squeak by and likely those unlocks will not be met.

The GI Joe line has been so poorly handled and botched every step of the way. They're only just now starting to listen to fans and fix some of those problems. At least, it looks that way. No one will know until the figures are actually in hand. They could price the Striker at something much more reasonable, and do enough of a good job so that their next project could be a Striker scaled for their 6" line. Money in the bank.

The real issue with these projects is this: Hasbro/Haslab is a business, and that "For Fans" tagline is a joke. Its For Profit. And that's not a bad thing; they're gonna do what they can, to make as much money off as little quality work as they can. Its up to the fans to let them know, they're not gonna plunk down cash for just whatever they put out. 

The Rancor had a ton of problems and I dont think the price by itself was even the main one, and even still it came very close to being funded. Fans can argue all day long about whether these things are overpriced or not but at the end of the day if Hasbro comes up with something people really want most or at least enough will find a way to pay for it. We've seen it time and time again, not to mention these  are the same fans who will run to eBay and pay 3-4 times the cost just to get a figure before anyone else.  Thats the reality of the hobby. In the case of the Rancor I think it just wasnt something many were that thrilled to get. IDK how or why Hasbro determined it was but in this case they determined wrong and then to make it worse they offered very lack luster stretch goals. Then factor in this is 1 of 5 Haslabs they have done in 2021, with 2 others launched right at the same time right before the Holidays. And Again is came very close to being funded.

• Thanks 1

Skystriker is gonna get funded. Big ups for GIJoe. they need a good win and this is a big one. Especially with a failing Star Wars project. 

And in all honesty, the Rancor could have passed if it was thought out properly. It needed to be 50 less with proper stretch goals to support it. Luke was ok, and so was the Guard, but the damn Rancorkeeper should have been at a bare minimum the 2nd tier to get people excited. 
Salacious Crub? bunch of bones? Bones would be nice but are just unnecessary clutter. 

I dont think this is the last we'll see of the Rancor though. With the amount of pledges it had at the end, I could see Hasbro doing another SW Black scale Haslab and if that one passes they might try the Rancor again, only do it right. 

I think it's important that this succeeded right after the Rancor failed. Now Hasbro can't use a, "The market is over-crowded to buy expensive toys at the moment," excuse for the Rancor. If Hasbro shows a little love to their fans, then the fans will show the love right back.

I couldn't be happier! 16,805 backers for this awesome Skystriker. I hope this means that more o-ring Joe's are on the horizon. With 30 minutes left in the campaign I caved and bought a second Skystriker. I just couldn't resist. This was a grail toy from my childhood that I never owed, but played with when visiting my cousin. He also owned the first Cobra Rattler and Kenner X-wing that I ever played with. Awesome memories. I hope Haslab keeps these dreams coming in the near future. Go Joe!

3 minutes ago, BothanBlue said:

I couldn't be happier! 16,805 backers for this awesome Skystriker. I hope this means that more o-ring Joe's are on the horizon. With 30 minutes left in the campaign I caved and bought a second Skystriker. I just couldn't resist. This was a grail toy from my childhood that I never owed, but played with when visiting my cousin. He also owned the first Cobra Rattler and Kenner X-wing that I ever played with. Awesome memories. I hope Haslab keeps these dreams coming in the near future. Go Joe!

Well according to Hasbro during Pulse-Con they have a whole line of new o-ring figures planned, so this should just be the tip of the iceberg I would think.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BothanBlue said:

it has been updated to

16,798 Backers

I still have my Kenner X-wing I got for Christmas in 1978 or was it '79 anyway poor things laser cannons are deteriorating  😢 electronics stopped working a long time ago

I'm glad we (The Joe fans that back it up) got tier 2 Ripcord unlocked... This will prove that we are glad that O-RING is back and that Haslab GI Joe is for real and with more projects to come in the future...😀✌️

I backed 3 last night 🌉😎