Want To Win A G.I. Joe Haslab Skystriker For Free???

JayC

As a kid in 1982, I remember buying the comics and seeing the figures in Walgreens for the first time...my imagination went wild with the possibilities of adventure. Sure we had videogames...not like today, but our minds, hands and the toys we played with occupied our time. I remember having Hawk and the MMS as my gateway into the Joe universe..my friend down the street had the VAMP, and we tooled around in the dirt looking for Cobras to blow up..

We didn't have any...so Darth Vader stood in for them. 

I had an extensive collection as an adult..never any of the planes, as they've always managed to be out of my price range, but my life caused me to sell off my armies. Now..Thrasher Zarana and the Thunder machine sit idle on the shelf as a reminder of my years gone by, life and the choices we make.

What does G.I. Joe mean... everything...

Love and honor, hope and heroism, duty and nobility and the possibility of more adventure tomorrow.

For me Gi Joe was everything as a kid. I grew up in the 80's when Gi Joe ruled everything. My whole room was set up with one side having Gi Joe headquarters and the other side housing the Terror Dome. Watching the line start over again has made all the excitement I felt back then come back just the same.

• Thanks 1

For me, G.I. Joe meant a toy line that everyone could afford, even the big vehicles were not terribly expensive so every kid had a chance to have good toys and not feel at a disadvantage. Another reason is it was one that could handle being actually played with by kids. They took a beating and held up. They were our go-to toys for playing outside. 

I was born in 1975-the first toy line I collected as a kid was Star Wars. This was followed by GoBots, He-man, Transformers, and GI JOE. Of all the toy lines, GI JOE was my favorite for several reasons. First, there is no other toy line that matches GI JOE when it comes to the sheer variety and number of different figures, vehicles, and playsets GI JOE had to offer. Secondly, the card back art, as well as the artwork on the boxes for the vehicles and playsets, remains in my opinion the absolute best, surpassing even the gorgeous MOTU artwork. In addition, GI JOE looks fantastic on display, whether it is loose or mint in box. Finally, of all the 80's cartoons, GI JOE was one of my favorites, and the comic book was even better than the show! I can't think of another toy line that had so many cool, awesome characters from both the good guy and bad guy line. I loved He-man as well, but the toyline which sticks out to me the most from my childhood, the one I still enjoy collecting, is and will always be GI JOE.

Gi joes and transformers shaped my childhood.  My first 2 figures were Duke and a Cobra trooper, but that rapidly grew as I realized their articulation made them far superior to star wars figures I had played with before (bonus for being able to fit into the star wars vehicles.)  

I had to rush homr from school every day to watch the cartoon, even if it was an episode i had seen numerous times before.  Me and my friends would correlate our purchases to make sure we had the largest spread of figures and vehicles wuthout too many duplicates (we were jealous of the one kid who got the Flagg, which took up all of his bedroom.)

Now I have a son of my own (only 2) whos loves playing with the figures i still have whenever i pull them out of their storage on the weekends.

GI Joe means my childhood, only better. I grew up poor, always wanting the USS Flagg. I bought it online when I was 28. Unfortunately I sold it and all my Joe's (which filled a U-Haul van to the brim) a couple of years back when my wife got cancer. I am slowly buying some back, but nothing like my collection of my youth. I am 45, but after a rough day, I will take out my Joe's and let my cares melt away.

GI Joes were the first toys I received after my family escaped political unrest in an Asian country in 1989 and then arrived in Hong Kong, so Joes were the toys that forever marked one of the most significant and positive changes in my and my families lives. I remember first receiving V2 Storm Shadow and Swampmasher as a kid, and those 2 toys immediately sparked a lifetime of passion for GI Joe.

I am really excited that Hasbro have decided to bring back o-ring Joes, and the Haslab Skystriker looks absolutely phenomenal, as do all the figures, extras and stretch goals. This is such an exciting time to be a Joe fan!

• Like 1

G.I. Joe means so much to me. I grew up in a family with limited means. I was a huge fan of everything Joe. Everthing from the cartoon to the toy line. My parents were unable to afford the toys to provide me with them. My cousin on the other hand, was spoiled and had every toy they made for the line. I would spend weekends at his home begging to play “American Heroes”. He had no interest in it. I would get up early just to play by myself. Once i was grown and making decent money to buy the toys my family was unable to provide me, I began collecting the toys I could only dream of as a child. Unfortunately the vehicles and playsets I loved the most were too expensive for me on the secondary market, and within budget. I would love to have this in my collection now and remember all the great times I had waking up ealy to defend our country from the like of Cobra. 

To me GI Joe represents that cool thing that I always wanted as a kid.  We weren't allowed to play with GI Joes.  I always went to friends houses and was in awe of their collections of amazing vehicles and figures.  When I became a toy collector, Joe's was one of the first things on my list.

Growing up in a military family during the 80s, my older brothers were my best friends. They started me off with the GI Joe comic books. On every birthday and Christmas, they would get me the newest toys and we would spend the whole day putting them together and playing with them.

Looking back at those times, GI Joe meant family time and fun with my two best friends!

Later on, they both joined the Air Force and I enlisted in the Army, so we all became action figures!

• Thanks 1

Hello all- good luck!  G.I Joe to me is the essence of my childhood.  Countless hours trading with friends, setting up battles, occasionally blowing a few up for explosions😁🤦‍♂️.  Taking some swimming, playing in the woods etc..  Running into Toys R Us with $3.23 as often as I could.  Pure fun!

For me, it's not just the toys, but the worldbuilding aspect, great stories and of course this is how I met some good friends. Even back in the day when I was a kid, and as an adult. It means creating communities, talking a lot about toys, knowing how the toys were made back in the day and of course the joy of todays kids, how they play and create worlds with these characters and toys. I'm blessed to witness all of these.

GI Joe has always been about the America I want to live in. Its an America where people from all backgrounds work for a common good against evil. From the very inception GI Joe was intended to be inclusive. Think of all the different characters: African Americans, Women (I never saw so many Women figures in a Boys toyline, amazing!) Jews, Italians, Irish, Japanese, Chinese, Hispanic. Their names and bios where right there on the back of the packaging for everyone to read and learn about.

It just seemed like GI Joe was able to capture what makes America great and how the ideas of cooperation were an inherent part of the brand. In GI Joe I saw an America that was unified and understood goodness and freedom and the need to help each other.

Yes the Sci-Fi, Exotic locales, History themes were very exciting, but in the end when I think of GI Joe, its about the Real American Hero and the ideals that we all aspire to be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The winner has been contacted via PM. Just waiting for them to claim their prize. When they do I will announce the winner here. Thanks to everyone who participated. Now lets just hope it gets funded.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• JayC locked this topic

Still waiting to hear back from the person whos name was drawn to win. I am giving em a couple more days since being the Thanksgiving Holiday they might be traveling and not checking their inbox or email. If you havent already check your inbox. If I havent heard back by the end of Monday I will draw another name.

• Like 1