Want To Win A G.I. Joe Haslab Skystriker For Free???

JayC

An escape from reality is what G.I. Joe means to me.  I wasn't always the happiest kid growing up but if I got to watch the Sunbow show or had some quality time playing with my Joes and Cobras my day would inevitably get better.  Whether it was after school, summer camp, a date that didn't go well, work... No matter what the escape from everyday life, the Joe Team has always been there for me and lifted my spirits in the process.  I am turning 42 next month and will never stop embracing my inner kid who still needs a break from every day life by being a devout collector of Joe products.  In closing I feel the need to say... "YO JOE!"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would get so excited when my local gas station would get the newest issue of the GI JOE comic book.  Yup.  At a gas station.  That's how old I am.  

I would read it in class, placing the comic within the book we were suppose to be studying.  Its a tried and true trope, but it worked.  

My father fought against me having 'action figures.'  He was a jerk like that.  He thought they were 'dolls,' and he would not let his son play with 'dolls.'  Occasionally, my Mom would sneak me a Star Wars figure here and there.  But I never was allowed to play with GI JOEs.   But I loved the Comics, and later the cartoon.  I was eventually taken away from my parents when I was I was around 11 years old.  I won't go into the boring details here, but it was surrounding a decade of Child Abuse, with both my sister and I, and the state was taking my dad to court over it.  Now, I assumed back then if a kid was removed from their home they would be put in Foster Care.  That's what happened on TV anyway.  But that wasn't the case at all.  There was over a decade wait to get into foster care at that point in time, so children like me were put into state run shelters.  My sister and I had to be separated, because of an incident involving a parent discovering where their children were, and the parents kidnapped their kids from the shelter in the middle of the night.  The law was made to prevent the ENTIRE family from being in one place-in case a parent did find out where their children were.  But that means I was not only separated from my parents, but my only sister as well.  I remember being scared.  Confused.  Unsure.  Worse, there was a law that forbid a child to stay at any shelter for more than 3 weeks at a time.  Probably because of the same mentioned incident.  So every 3 weeks, I had to say goodbye to the other kids at the shelter, and get transported into another one in another town somewhere else. 

It was a rough time in my life.  But, I had my GI JOE comics.  They were the only constant in my life at that point, and I honestly believe they kept me sane all those years.  

A year or so later, I got lucky, fell through the cracks, and got placed in a Foster Home.  It was a 1 in a million situation, but I won the lottery.  My foster parents decided to adopt the child they were fostering, and wanted him to have an 'older brother.'   So, somehow, they picked me out of hundreds or more other kids.  My sister wasn't so lucky, and she continued to stay in the State run shelters.  Being in a Foster Family was an amazing time in my life.  I got to experience what it was like to not be in constant fear of my life (like I did living with my father), and being around people who actually cared for me.  My Foster Dad took me with him on the weekends, and one of the things he loved to do was go to garage sales.  One of those sales there was an entire box of GI JOE figures.  Even some vehicles, accessories, file cards, catalogs...it was like...Christmas.  I knew who all the figures were.  I read the comics, I had seen the cartoon here and there.  I remember 'diving' into that box, and looking at each of them.  He asked me if I wanted one.  I had never been allowed to play with GI JOE's before.  So I jumped at the chance. 

Well, he surprised me, and got me THE ENTIRE BOX, along with all the vehicles they had.  I walked away with a HUGE collection of GI JOES.  It was one of the greatest moments of my young life, LOL.  I had so much fun with those figures.  I honestly think getting to his house, and going up stairs and playing with those figures was one of the most fun I ever had-even to this day.  

I can go on and on, but that particular memory there stayed with me my entire life.  

Anyhow.  That was very long.  But its my favorite memory of GI JOE.  How it kept me sane through the hardest moments of my youth.  And to this very day, I still read the comics, and they STILL bring me a ton of joy.  

YO JOE!  

• Thanks 1

I recently reconnected with my Dad after a challenging upbringing. Let's just say we didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things, it caused us to fight and be distant for years. Most of what I remember wasn't very pleasant. I wanted him in my life, and thought I would give this a shot. I picked up a few of the action figures from the G.I. Joe Classified line and sent them to him, knowing how much he liked the animated episodes and movies. He really liked his gift! It was hard and awkward, but we rebuilt our relationship to a healthy and positive state. I'm very thankful for him and everything that I've come to learn from him. There was a time when I took him in, and during that we expanded on our interest of watching and collecting all things G.I. Joe. Now when we see each other, we talk like Cobra Commander, watch episodes and movies from all across the brand, and share good things that have been happening in our lives. Some of our favorites episodes and movies are The Revenge of Cobra, Sink the Montana, Arise Serpentor Arise, Valor vs. Venom, Sigma Six, the live action Retaliation movie, and we're looking forward to our next get together, where we plan to watch the Snake Eyes Origin movie. Thank you for reminding me of how special my Dad is.

• Thanks 1

The first Joes I ever bought was a straight arm Rock n' Roll & Grunt. If I knew back then when I do now I would have taken a better care of them but they were well loved. The only thing I had to compare them to were the Star Wars figures but these were much better. Having just bought a straight arm Rock n' Roll recently it brought me to my happy place, lol. Hopefully these good designs will do the same thing I wasn't a fan of the 25th anniversary remakes. 

• Thanks 1

Wow no way!

What does G.I. Joe mean to me, well it means the the dawn of my collecting ways, as it was the first action figures I actually had more then 1 of when I was a wee kid, it was also the first TV show my mom wouldn't let me watch because she hated the military and violence, and she didn't want me to be influenced into liking guns and war, like my much older brother, now she loves G.I. figures so much she has her own secret collection that she stole from my brother, she still pretends she always loved it and never told me I couldn't watch it.

• Thanks 1

Just a reminder, folks. If you say something like "I hope I win. Thanks for doing this. I like X, Y, and Z. I hope this line succeeds," but you're not actually saying what GI Joe means to you (you don't have to use those exact words, mind you, but you should answer Jay's question) your comment will not count, and it will be deleted. And of course, any other off topic posts as well as extra posts will be deleted, as well.

• Thanks 1

G.I. Joe was my favorite toyline as a kid. It was the only one I bought off eBay to fill holes in my original collection. When I sold off everything else, I kept my G I Joe figures. It's closer to my heart than any other toyline. It means an entire world of characters, figures, vehicles and playsets to me. It got me through some tough times as a kid.

• Thanks 1

Gi joe means fond memories of playing with my little brother, when life was carefree, all we had to do was do our homework and play. Saw my first Gi joe, straight arm rock and roll at Woolworths in the 80's. My Great Grandma bought me and my late brother one. I was hooked from that day forward. I remember wishing Star Wars figures were articulated like these. My favorite memories were playing in the creek behind our house with the tactical platform, shark, the moray, the whale, the water moccasin, and whatever figures we had. We never had them all. My little brother always had to win our battles and he was always Cobra. He passed away about 21 years ago and I'll always have fond memories of those times getting our toys dirty and playing Gi joe vs Cobra. Hooded Cobra commander, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and shipwreck are some of my favorite action figures to this day!

Edited by Releasethechucken
To say what gi joe means to me.
  • Thanks 1

What does G.I. Joe mean to me?

Well as a kid I remember when the original cartoon mini-series came out. I was kinda of excited. The figures were affordable ($3 I do believe) so I was able to get a few of them. Never had a lot of vehicles but that was ok. I remember playing in the yard, porch, backyard and yes, the bedroom. Sometimes instead my blanket fort. I had some of my best memories as a kid playing G.I. Joe or my dad coming home with a random figure he picked up just to see my face light up. I kept playing and buying G.I. Joe all the way up to High School. By then it was more I was invested in them and a little bit of not wanting to grow up. I lost my original collection a long time ago but I do remember having a Sky Striker and having it hang from my ceiling. Seeing the HasLab project did bring back a lot of memories so thanks.

• Thanks 1

When I was younger back in the prime of the tv hit cartoon show G.I.Joe cartoon...therecwasca contest and I won the Air Stryker back in the 1980s....how would it feel to win this again....it would be amazing...thank you for having this contest and I watch your YouTube channel when you post something....👍

• Thanks 1

To me G.I. Joe  reminds me of family, I remember one Christmas my grand mother who was struggling with her diabetes took me to the local roses store and told me to pick any Christmas gift I wanted and I remember the problems she had walking and the only way she could walk was with the help of the shopping cart and I remember going around the corner and there on the top shelf was the night raven, and I told my mama thats it, thats what I want for Christmas. Now my grandmother didn't have much money, she only had a few hundred dollars a month to live on from social security but she put that night raven and other G.I. Joes figures on lay a way for me and some how, some way she picked them up and I  will never forget that Christmas morning my mama watching me open those presents and the smile she had on her face. That was the last Christmas I had with my mama and during her funeral I went with my mother to the local pharmacy and she let me pick out a comic to read and it was that months gi joe comic and in that comic was the night raven and I just broke down and cried, but I still have my night raven and nothing will ever get that plane from me. 

• Thanks 1

What G.I. Joe means to me: I’m a Retired ARMY Veteran/Airborne &  31 months deployment time.  I’m apart of a brotherhood and G.I.Joe is apart of that childhood brotherhood and love for military that developed in me. Love that Jet…hope I win however whoever wins my blessings to you! 🪖🪖. Anthony C House 

• Thanks 1

I can live without any other toy lines except G.I. Joe. I grew up watching the cartoons, collecting the vintage figures, reading the comics, buying the modern and retro releases, customizing G.I. Joe figures and host G.I. Joe custom projects for more than 5 years now. I want that Skystriker!!! :)

• Thanks 1

I've had a love for GI Joe since the early 80s. I didn't have a great deal of the toys and only really had some of the figures by the late 80s and early 90s. I can still remember the joy of owning Captain Grid-Iron and Metal Head because they were on the show at the time.

GI Joe the movie was amazing and really brought Joe into my life. I dreamed about owning so many of those figures from time period. The cross-sell images were a gateway into our imaginations and still influence my collection to this day.

• Thanks 1

Love the RAH GI Joes from the original ones, my favorite character has always been Duke, second is Snake Eyes.  Duke has always epitomize what a leader should be.  I think GI Joe play a big part of me joining the military.

• Thanks 1

GI Joe has always been a part of my life. I have collected and read every comic numerous times. I have them preordered as far out as I can and can tell anyone anything about Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow and currently have two Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow groups on Facebook with hundreds of members. The best part of all my days is posting new pictures and videos in hopes of sharing some of the awesome memories and exciting things GI Joe has always and is continuing to give all of us. The sky striker would be  an amazing part of an already growing collection if I somehow won. It has made life a real adventure and I can’t imagine growing up without my GI Joe’s… I still collect them and love them as much as I always did and really really hope I win this contest. I would consider it an honor to display this with pride and literally already have a perfect place on my dresser for it! Thanks for an amazing opportunity. God bless!!!

• Thanks 1

Thank you for this awesome opportunity!

GI Joe will always remind me of my childhood. Watching the 80's cartoon as a kid, with the catchy theme song and the unforgettable PSA's. Collecting the o-ring figures and vehicles. I get so nostalgic when Hasbro references the classic toys and cartoon with their new products, especially the recent Classified figures!

• Thanks 1

What does gi joe mean to me? Well it means yoooo joe and never giving up and staying till the fight is won. It’s cooobra. It’s this I command. It’s roadblock rhymes and all day Saturday playing times. Its one a week gi joe Walmart buys by my single mom who probably shouldn’t have been spending that money on toys but never let me know how much we were struggling. Unfortunately I was too young and dumb to figure it out. It’s being wowed into stunned silence and drool seeing that Flagg ac.  Mostly it means simpler times with fond memories. Which I guess we all are trying to recapture. Thanks for the opportunity for this JayC. 

• Thanks 1

As a kid grew up on 80s gijoe means a lot in my childhood, it is my life during that days, acquiring this toys is very hard as i live in a third world country, almost all my gi joes are hand me downs from my ratives from the u.s.a, i dont have a chance to own any vehicles before because its so expensive for us to buy one, so having this sky striker would mean so much to me, being an adult now, i know how to take care of this toys to preserve and pass this awesome piece to the other generation ones my life is over in this world. Thank you for the oppurtunity. Yo joe!

• Thanks 1