2021 Hasbro Pulse Con - Day 2 Coverage - G.I. Joe Panel Coverage

JayC

8 hours ago, DiscoCougar said:

I guess giving Spirit a tomahawk axe would have been too on the nose for Hasbro, or something? I'm very surprised they're releasing him. But they couldn't just go all the way?

They mentioned that they are trying to avoid stereotypes...💡

• Sad 1

I appreciate the O-Ring figures, but you've got to be kidding me on on a 3.75" Skystriker for $229.

Do want every one of those Classified figures, though, and the SE/SS set. Did they announce a new 3.75" O-Ring Joe line?

10 hours ago, DiscoCougar said:

I guess giving Spirit a tomahawk axe would have been too on the nose for Hasbro, or something? I'm very surprised they're releasing him. But they couldn't just go all the way?

It's a misguided politically correct thing. They said they weren't going to call him a Tracker either because they thought it was offensive (it's not,) then they called him a "holistic healer" like he was John Redcorn. "White liberals have been telling the Indian what is best for him for a long time," and I don't expect that to change.

That said, the figure is really nice and I'm happy with him, as I am with all the Classified figures. I'm glad they made something like a color changing Zartan I didn't need the exclusive, too.

10 hours ago, Satam said:

I prefer this Classified Storm Shadow to the images him with the  Bane mask and the Yakuza tattoo on the arm, but it bothers me a bit that everything they unveiled for Classified was very VERY classic, and I'm concerned about what it means for the line going forward.

I love how classic they've been. 

8 hours ago, Satam said:

If this is the direction now, It's an overcorrection IMO. There can and should be room for both classic and modern in Classified. The GI Joe toy designs have all evolved over time, long before Classified was a thing. While the updates to series 1 were pretty silly, it's hard to argue that the modern but familiar updates with a bit of sci-fi flair on Baroness and Major Bludd weren't phenomenal. The Alley Viper design that's been on the back of the packaging is among their best redesigns and would make an amazing figure. The aesthetic is high-tech and almost alien (as in extraterrestrial) but still totally recognizable as an Alley Viper.
That the battle damaged head on the B.A.T matches the one from the apparently leaked images seen on Instagram and Hisstank this summer would seem to confirm that the Alley Viper head seen with it and other Alley Viper bits seem later may indeed be legit and that the box art design will not make it into toy form.
If future Classfied redesigns have all been scrapped in favor of '80s, '80s, '80s, I think it's a real shame. Because they were clearly capable of making some damn good ones.

In a perfect world, we'd have everything. Given the choice, I and many other fans, will choose the classic look every time. Kudos for Hasbro for listening. Knocked these Classified figures out of the park.

6 hours ago, Satam said:

You're right to some extent.  The Alley Viper from the back of the Classified packaging is based on unused concept art from the game, while the Bludd figure we got bears some significant differences from his look in the game and even the character profile art from GIJoe.com. And not all fan feedback has been "These all suck. We want classic looks only." Several of these character designs were very well received, particularly the ones I mentioned. Since it's been on the back of the package since the very beginning, they've clearly had plans to release an Alley Viper figure, but as I mentioned, there is evidence out there that they may have changed the design to something more evocative of the '87 and '89 figures. I suppose we'll find out for sure at some point, but if that does turn out to be the case, I maintain that it's a severe and unnecessary overcorrection and still maintain that there should be room for both classic and modern in this line, and while I may lament the loss of the Operation Blackout concept Alley Viper, if there is also a Crimson Guard figure coming, as is rumored, I would want to see minimal changes from the classic designs-just some updates.

Dear god, please don't change Siegie or Alley Viper. That Siegie v1 design is a thing of beauty.

5 hours ago, 80sboy4 said:

Happy about the return of the o ring figures, I think the reason for the $40 price tag is these had to be new fully tooled molds. I like the presentation of the packaging. The Haslab Striker has me interested but that price has me thinking twice here. Hopefully when I see more I may change my mind. Definitely in on Croc Master and Storm Shadow Classified figures. 

I already balked at the price on the Skystriker. I didn't realize the SE/SS was $40. That's crazy. I'm probably going to stick to Classified. I've still got a nearly complete 82-94 figure collection anyway.  Hasbro can give TVC new molds all the time for $13.99.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Faceless said:

I appreciate the O-Ring figures, but you've got to be kidding me on on a 3.75" Skystriker for $229.

Do want every one of those Classified figures, though, and the SE/SS set. Did they announce a new 3.75" O-Ring Joe line?

It's a misguided politically correct thing. They said they weren't going to call him a Tracker either because they thought it was offensive (it's not,) then they called him a "holistic healer" like he was John Redcorn. "White liberals have been telling the Indian what is best for him for a long time," and I don't expect that to change.

That said, the figure is really nice and I'm happy with him, as I am with all the Classified figures. I'm glad they made something like a color changing Zartan I didn't need the exclusive, too.

I love how classic they've been. 

In a perfect world, we'd have everything. Given the choice, I and many other fans, will choose the classic look every time. Kudos for Hasbro for listening. Knocked these Classified figures out of the park.

Dear god, please don't change Siegie or Alley Viper. That Siegie v1 design is a thing of beauty.

I already balked at the price on the Skystriker. I didn't realize the SE/SS was $40. That's crazy. I'm probably going to stick to Classified. I've still got a nearly complete 82-94 figure collection anyway.  Hasbro can give TVC new molds all the time for $13.99.

I already pre-ordered everything but the Sky Stryker which I will be backing up in the next couple of weeks... Everything showed today was extremely good. The retro Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes are worth the $40 to keep them mind on card on display instead of buying original MOC of those figures...💡😎

7 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Either Hasbro finally learned their lesson or no one wants the Zartan Classified because it's still available for pre-order...

The SE and SS Retro are still available as well.

Well I put my pulse order in as soon as it came open for all users and got through the payment input by 3 minutes after then I clicked confirm. Then the little wheel circled for about 15 minutes before I decided to refresh and of course sold out. No captain America for me but I was able to get palpatine throne.  So no I wouldn’t say anyone has learned unless they assumed captain America wouldn’t be popular. 

4 minutes ago, LordVenger said:

Well I put my pulse order in as soon as it came open for all users and got through the payment input by 3 minutes after then I clicked confirm. Then the little wheel circled for about 15 minutes before I decided to refresh and of course sold out. No captain America for me but I was able to get palpatine throne.  So no I wouldn’t say anyone has learned unless they assumed captain America wouldn’t be popular. 

The Marvel Legends 20th Anniversary Cap? He's available from our sponsors Big Bad Toy Store and Entertainment Earth if you still need the figure.

• Thanks 2

I want that oring Snakey and Stormy but unfortunately, I can't buy from Hasbro Pulse because I live outside the U.S. I preorder most of my figures from BBTS. I was able to preorder Classified Croc Master, Spirit and Storm Shadow but that oring Snakey and Stormy is not listed in BBTS :(

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Roadpigmaster said:

I already pre-ordered everything but the Sky Stryker which I will be backing up in the next couple of weeks... Everything showed today was extremely good. The retro Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes are worth the $40 to keep them mind on card on display instead of buying original MOC of those figures...💡😎

I thought about that, but I figured I could always just print out the card art or a buy a repro of the art if I wanted that.

• Haha 1

Love what I'm seeing, totally in for everything here, Croc Master was a huge check off on my list of Joe wants for Classified, I also always was way fan of Tiger Force Style Outback over the Original so that's rad we are getting him, so much goodness from The Classified reveals.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Faceless said:

I thought about that, but I figured I could always just print out the card art or a buy a repro of the art if I wanted that.

Never crossed my mind that idea... I'll stick with the MOC from Hasbro Pulse... I thought those repros were a sacrilegious thing to do in the Joe community...💡

Skystriker is awesome IMO and if it reaches all the stretch goals I think the price is pretty solid. In less than 24hrs the Skystriker has already surpassed the Rancor in numbers of backers.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JayC said:

Skystriker is awesome IMO and if it reaches all the stretch goals I think the price is pretty solid. In less than 24hrs the Skystriker has already surpassed the Rancor in numbers of backers.

That's fantastic, because that will open the doors for GI Joe Haslab projects like Marvel is been doing lately...😃✌️

On 10/23/2021 at 8:42 AM, Satam said:

I prefer this Classified Storm Shadow to the images him with the  Bane mask and the Yakuza tattoo on the arm, but it bothers me a bit that everything they unveiled for Classified was very VERY classic, and I'm concerned about what it means for the line going forward.

The real take away here is that evidently, Hasbro finally listened.....these aren't impossible to find Target exclusives! Collectors can have some confidence they'll actually be able to buy these and scalpers can just go choke. 

This IS the Storm Shadow for me. It looks like sheer perfection!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, icecreamman said:

I want that oring Snakey and Stormy but unfortunately, I can't buy from Hasbro Pulse because I live outside the U.S. I preorder most of my figures from BBTS. I was able to preorder Classified Croc Master, Spirit and Storm Shadow but that oring Snakey and Stormy is not listed in BBTS :(

Sorry, the ORing SE/SS Retro are a Hasbro Pulse exclusive...

• Thanks 1

I was gonna be selective on this line, but these sculpts are so amazing it's hard to resist. Pre ordered basically everything this weekend haha.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MRT said:

I'm in it for the regular release figs. Don't care for Tiger Force or Python Patrol. Bummed there are no new vehicles for the 6" line though.

Upon looking at the pics again, I take it back, Outback looks pretty awesome.

• Thanks 1

All the Classified figures look incredible and I’m continuing to be all in.  

I’m also excited for the O-rings and  will order probably any they make but if I’m being really honest my feelings are mixed because in truth just going back and rereleasing the vintage figures isn’t what I want to see.  What I really want out of O-ring figures is a continuation of the vintage line—not just a rerelease of what already existed.  Give me an O-ring Pythona, Billy, General Flagg, Agent Helix, and Kwinn.  Give me an O-Ring October Guard.  Give me O-Rings of Hard Master, Soft Master, and Blind Master.  Give me O-rings of all those characters created from the New Sculpt and Modern era that weren’t around during O-Rings.  That’s what I want.  Don’t give us the characters that already exist in our vintage collections—give us the figures that can help expand our vintage collections—especially if this is going to be an online line where the audience is clearly older/long time collectors.  

• Thanks 1