2021 Hasbro Pulse Con - Day 2 Coverage - G.I. Joe Panel Coverage

JayC

55 minutes ago, Satam said:

If this is the direction now, It's an overcorrection IMO. There can and should be room for both classic and modern in Classified. The GI Joe toy designs have all evolved over time, long before Classified was a thing. While the updates to series 1 were pretty silly, it's hard to argue that the modern but familiar updates with a bit of sci-fi flair on Baroness and Major Bludd weren't phenomenal. The Alley Viper design that's been on the back of the packaging is among their best redesigns and would make an amazing figure. The aesthetic is high-tech and almost alien (as in extraterrestrial) but still totally recognizable as an Alley Viper.
That the battle damaged head on the B.A.T matches the one from the apparently leaked images seen on Instagram and Hisstank this summer would seem to confirm that the Alley Viper head seen with it and other Alley Viper bits seem later may indeed be legit and that the box art design will not make it into toy form.
If future Classfied redesigns have all been scrapped in favor of '80s, '80s, '80s, I think it's a real shame. Because they were clearly capable of making some damn good ones.

To be fair, the initial designs for Classified were all based on the video game that came out around the same time.  There was speculation that the line was only made to supplement he Sbake Eyes movie figures, but due to Covid pushing the film back a year, the Snake Eyes movie toys didn't come out at the same time as Classifieds. Perhaps Hasbro wasn't expecting the line to do so well and didn't have anything planned beyond the figures we receive.  Because of that and fan feedback, thr newer figures are based on classics rather than the video game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really hate being late at the live streams 😂 but so far, i guess i'm looking forward for the Cobra Bat, Storm Shadow and Croc Master, but i guess mostly Storm Shadow and Croc Master, i dig their figures so far.

On 10/23/2021 at 3:09 PM, Godot said:

To be fair, the initial designs for Classified were all based on the video game that came out around the same time.  There was speculation that the line was only made to supplement he Sbake Eyes movie figures, but due to Covid pushing the film back a year, the Snake Eyes movie toys didn't come out at the same time as Classifieds. Perhaps Hasbro wasn't expecting the line to do so well and didn't have anything planned beyond the figures we receive.  Because of that and fan feedback, thr newer figures are based on classics rather than the video game.

You're right to some extent.  The Alley Viper from the back of the Classified packaging is based on unused concept art from the game, while the Bludd figure we got bears some significant differences from his look in the game and even the character profile art from GIJoe.com. And not all fan feedback has been "These all suck. We want classic looks only." Several of these evolved character designs were very well received, particularly the ones I mentioned, as well as the Cobra Trooper, which I don't think has a game analogue at all. Since it's been on the back of the package since the very beginning, they've clearly had plans to release an Alley Viper figure, but as I mentioned, there is evidence out there that they may have changed the design to something more evocative of both the v1 and v2 figures. I suppose we'll find out for sure at some point, but if that does turn out to be the case, I maintain that it's a severe and unnecessary overcorrection and still maintain that there should be room for both classic and modern in this line, and while I may lament the loss of the Operation Blackout concept Alley Viper, if there is also a Crimson Guard figure coming, as is rumored, I would want to see minimal changes from the classic designs-just some updates.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Roadpigmaster said:

I'm looking for those too before the sold out...

The Target exclusives aren't supposed to be up until 5PM EST. Sometimes members of the community can do some incredible sleuthing, but I doubt there will be links to share before the preorders go live.

• Thanks 1

Happy about the return of the o ring figures, I think the reason for the $40 price tag is these had to be new fully tooled molds. I like the presentation of the packaging. The Haslab Striker has me interested but that price has me thinking twice here. Hopefully when I see more I may change my mind. Definitely in on Croc Master and Storm Shadow Classified figures. 

• Thanks 1

Are the G.I. Joe Retro Collection Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow going to be Hasbro Pulse exclusive or these everywhere because I'm not seeing them at our sponsors and Hasbro is taking forever with checking out for just these figures since the Zartan and SS Classified are sold out?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Outsiders said:

Are the G.I. Joe Retro Collection Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow going to be Hasbro Pulse exclusive or these everywhere because I'm not seeing them at our sponsors and Hasbro is taking forever with checking out for just these figures since the Zartan and SS Classified are sold out?

Billing finally went through at Hasbro but they screwed me over with the Zartan.  I added it to the shopping cart, checked out and in the middle of processing my credit card, Hasbro pulls it and says its sold out.  I mean that's pretty low Hasbro to screw people over during the CC process.  Time was 4:01 by the way...

• Thanks 1

I'll be damned!  I checked Hasbro Pulse again and Zartan was back up and I was able to get it... Hasbro screwed me over on the free shipping but they made up for it by throwing me a bone...

• Thanks 1

Either Hasbro finally learned their lesson or no one wants the Zartan Classified because it's still available for pre-order...

The SE and SS Retro are still available as well.

• Thanks 1

No need to reinvent the wheel. About time these companies realized there was never anything wrong with classic designs. MOTU, TMNT, Power Rangers, GI JOE. Its the ORIGINAL styles that sell like hot cakes. 

Now I need to decide I i really need that new sky striker. Theres nothing really wrong with my vintage one. Its complete and in great condition.......... But this new one is probably a lot more sturdy lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Outsiders said:

Either Hasbro finally learned their lesson or no one wants the Zartan Classified because it's still available for pre-order...

The SE and SS Retro are still available as well.

Only figure missed today was the Classified Storm Shadow 🥺😟😕🙁☹️... I got the others at Pulse, Target and the BigBadToyStore...😃✌️

19 minutes ago, Roadpigmaster said:

Only figure missed today was the Classified Storm Shadow 🥺😟😕🙁☹️... I got the others at Pulse, Target and the BigBadToyStore...😃✌️

Classified SS is at Big Bad Toy Store as well... https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/181748

The SE/SS Retro 2 pack is at Hasbro Pulse, but the Zartan Classified pre-order is sold out.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

Classified SS is at Big Bad Toy Store as well... https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/181748

The SE/SS Retro 2 pack is at Hasbro Pulse, but the Zartan Classified pre-order is sold out.

Awesome... I just pre-ordered Storm Shadow!😃✌️

Oh wow I didn't noticed that I ordered twice Storm Shadow... One with Spirit and Croc Master and then by himself... I just cancelled the last order and just ordered TMNT Leatherhead with the video game colors... I need more Crocs in my collection!🐊😃✌️