'Star Trek: The Motion Picture' Director's Cut Coming Exclusively To Paramount+

Outsiders

The Director's Edition of Star Trek: The Motion Picture is coming exclusively to Paramount+. The restoration is being undertaken by David C. Fein, Mike Matessino, and Daren R. Dochterman, all of whom worked previously with director Robert Wise. The announcement debuted during Star Trek Day 2021.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mako said:

Compared to Discovery and Picard (RoboCap?), this was friggin' Shakespeare. 

By the by, how many "Cuts" does that make of TMP?

Should technically still be three: Theatrical, Extended TV version, and Director's Edition. I haven't seen it yet, so I can't be 100% sure, but there doesn't seem to be anything anywhere indicating that this is any different from the Director's Edition assembled under the supervision of Robert Wise back in 2001, aside from the 4K restoration, which is bound to feature some redone CGI, since the upgraded and new effects from twenty years ago aren't likely to pass muster in 2080p. If you really want, I suppose you could consider this and the 4k restoration of the theatrical version found on the new disc to be the fourth and fifth cuts, but its probably a stretch.

I never followed Star Trek like some but I remember making these posts about the Star Trek movie...

Star Trek: The Original 4 Movies 4K Ultra HD/Blu-Ray Collection

Director’s Edition Of Star Trek: The Motion Picture Set To Be Fully Restored