NECA Announces Usagi Yojimbo Figure For Their TMNT Line

JayC

NECA IS THRILLED TO ANNOUNCE an incredible addition to its bestselling line of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures! In partnership with award-winning creator Stan Sakai, NECA has licensed world-famous comic book series Usagi Yojimbo, starring Miyamoto Usagi, who appeared many times in the classic and modern TMNT cartoon series as well as the comic books. Set in Edo-era Japan, Sakai’s continuing story of the rabbit rōnin (masterless samurai) has drawn praise for its faithful reflection of many aspects of traditional Japanese culture.

NECA-TMNT-Usagi-Yojimbo.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wonder if thats the real reason why Brian at super7 said he couldn't do usagi yet.  Seems like he let's neca bring out their versions first during most interviews as he seems reluctant to release specific turtle characters or vehicles neca has already in the works.

Im very interested in how he will be sold. Like a con exclusive or just another target exclusive and the like. Also looking forward to him painted! 

Glad he’s coming.  I’d love to see them tackle both a toon and a comic version.  

• Thanks 1

Just now, LordVenger said:

Ha. I’m not into turtles but it’s fun to see people excited. 

Man . . . naw.  I do LOVE TMNT, but THIS one . . . this is WAY more than that.
<P>
Look up Stan Sakai and his creation.  The man is a comic LEGEND.  He has been single-handedly writing, drawing, and inking his comic, on paper (not digital), for over 35 years.  He has built one of the greatest continuously running comic stories in history, and has maintained a dedication and focus - as well as a level of care and detail, and also historical accuracy, surprisingly enough, for a comic about anthropomorphic animals in Feudal Japan - that is largely unsurpassed in the industry.  As a (very small time) professional freelance artist myself, I have a MASSIVE amount of professional respect (and a not insignificant amount of fanboy squeeing *LOL*) for the man and his creation.
<P>
While the TMNT have been paired with numerous properties over the decades, from Star Trek to Universal Monsters to D&D to Cerebus the Aardvark to . . . Cobra Kai *sigh*, "Usagi Yojimbo" is one of the VERY rare actually widely established collaborative crossovers that the TMNT have engaged in (the most notable others being "Power Rangers" and MAYBE "Batman") across multiple mediums and genres, and the ONLY one that is considered canon to the wider TMNT multiverse as a whole, AND ALSO to Sakai's own works.
<P>
And of course, while the TMNT have spawned a merchandising empire since their inception, "Usagi Yojimbo" figures are VERY few and far between, and highly articulated ones are near non-existent.  So, to get this piece confirmed?  It's a damn unicorn (especially given the licensing hoops), and I honestly want to get, like, FIVE of them, just to have one TMNT cartoon version, and then mod the others into various more comic-accurate renditions of the character!
<P>
This announcement, this figure is AWESOME!!

31 minutes ago, Batman1701 said:

Man . . . naw.  I do LOVE TMNT, but THIS one . . . this is WAY more than that.
<P>
Look up Stan Sakai and his creation.  The man is a comic LEGEND.  He has been single-handedly writing, drawing, and inking his comic, on paper (not digital), for over 35 years.  He has built one of the greatest continuously running comic stories in history, and has maintained a dedication and focus - as well as a level of care and detail, and also historical accuracy, surprisingly enough, for a comic about anthropomorphic animals in Feudal Japan - that is largely unsurpassed in the industry.  As a (very small time) professional freelance artist myself, I have a MASSIVE amount of professional respect (and a not insignificant amount of fanboy squeeing *LOL*) for the man and his creation.
<P>
While the TMNT have been paired with numerous properties over the decades, from Star Trek to Universal Monsters to D&D to Cerebus the Aardvark to . . . Cobra Kai *sigh*, "Usagi Yojimbo" is one of the VERY rare actually widely established collaborative crossovers that the TMNT have engaged in (the most notable others being "Power Rangers" and MAYBE "Batman") across multiple mediums and genres, and the ONLY one that is considered canon to the wider TMNT multiverse as a whole, AND ALSO to Sakai's own works.
<P>
And of course, while the TMNT have spawned a merchandising empire since their inception, "Usagi Yojimbo" figures are VERY few and far between, and highly articulated ones are near non-existent.  So, to get this piece confirmed?  It's a damn unicorn (especially given the licensing hoops), and I honestly want to get, like, FIVE of them, just to have one TMNT cartoon version, and then mod the others into various more comic-accurate renditions of the character!
<P>
This announcement, this figure is AWESOME!!

Wow. Yea I had no idea he was even a crossover character. l do remember him from the original toy line but I didn’t know he was pulled in from a completely different work. I will look it up. Sounds interesting. 

Bu the way, you should share some of your work. Be cool to see. That is one of my favorite parts of this site. 

4 hours ago, LordVenger said:

Wow. Yea I had no idea he was even a crossover character. l do remember him from the original toy line but I didn’t know he was pulled in from a completely different work. I will look it up. Sounds interesting. 

Bu the way, you should share some of your work. Be cool to see. That is one of my favorite parts of this site. 

Oh, I actually have shared a bunch of my stuff on here.  My NECA-style custom April O'Neil was "Cool Custom of the Week" on TNI once. :)
<P>
But if you'd like to see some more, here's a link:
<P>
https://www.figurerealm.com/customfigure?action=creator&id=6412
<P>
Most of page one is TMNT, but if you go back further, you'll find some different stuff.  Although the quality gets worse the further back you go, obviously. *LOL*  Though I'm still proud of my MOTU stuff and SOME of the Metroid work.

• 3 months later...

NECA via social media confirmed their upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Animated Series Usagi Yojimbo figure will be made available at both physical Target stores as well as their own NECAStore website. Stay-tuned for more details on when exactly the figure will be made available.

NECA.TMNT.Toon.Usag-02.jpg

NECA.TMNT.Toon.Usag.jpg

• Thanks 1