Netflix's 'Cowboy Bebop' - First Look Images And Date Announcement

Outsiders

Meet Spike Spiegel (John Cho), Jet Black (Mustafa Shakir), and Faye Valentine (Daniella Pineda) in Cowboy Bebop, premiering November 19th, only on Netflix.

COWBOY BEBOP is an action-packed space Western about three bounty hunters, aka “cowboys,” all trying to outrun the past. As different as they are deadly, Spike Spiegel (John Cho), Jet Black (Mustafa Shakir), and Faye Valentine (Daniella Pineda) form a scrappy, snarky crew ready to hunt down the solar system’s most dangerous criminals — for the right price. But they can only kick and quip their way out of so many scuffles before their pasts finally catch up with them.

Based on the beloved anime series, COWBOY BEBOP is executive produced by André Nemec, Jeff Pinkner, Josh Appelbaum and Scott Rosenberg of Midnight Radio, Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements of Tomorrow Studios, Makoto Asanuma, Shin Sasaki and Masayuki Ozaki of Sunrise Inc., Tim Coddington, Tetsu Fujimura, Michael Katleman, Matthew Weinberg, and Christopher Yost. Nemec serves as showrunner. Original anime series director Shinichirō Watanabe is a consultant on the series, and original composer Yoko Kanno returns for the live-action adaptation. The series also stars Alex Hassell and Elena Satine.

COWBOYBEB_ArtDept_00718RC2.jpg

COWBOYBEB_ArtDept_01192RC4.jpg

COWBOYBEB_Unit_00445RC.jpg

COWBOYBEB_Unit_02503RC.jpg

COWBOYBEB_Unit_02866RC_Crop.jpg

COWBOYBEB_Unit_07433RC2.jpg

COWBOYBEB_Unit_08114RC4.jpg

COWBOYBEB_Unit_16866RC4.jpg

• Like 2

As a huge Cowboy Bebop fan I wish I could get excited about this, but the next live action adaptation of an Anime, Manga, Comic or Video Game done by Netflix will be the first. Umbrella Academy started strong but I get the feeling the third season is gonna be a train wreck.

32 minutes ago, mako said:

They all look great, way accurate to the show, but isn't Faye dressed a little conservatively? You know . . . for Faye?

There was -0% chance that Faye would be wearing the correct clothes given the oversensitive imbeciles that are in charge of these types of things nowadays. They don't want to offend the peons on Twitter who aren't going to watch this in the first place, so it turned out exactly like I thought it would. I don't hate it actually. I mean with the exception of the pants and not enough of anything showing, she has on yellow and the brown leather jacket. It'll come down to performance. Jet and Spike look pretty much as good as we could hope for, although I'm not sure why Spike doesn't have green hair. Everything else is 100% perfect but they didn't dye his hair? (or did they and I just can't tell on my monitor?) The English dub is perfect with the show, so I already know I'm going to have to get used to the performances unless they just flat out copy the voiceover actors' portrayals. I'm sure they're going to woke the crap out of this thing, but I expect as much so I'm ready to hate it if need be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, obs said:

although I'm not sure why Spike doesn't have green hair. Everything else is 100% perfect but they didn't dye his hair?

Kinda hard to tell. In that shot of Spike on the couch from the rear it kinda looks like there may be some green. If so, its definitely not the obnoxious green of Beast Boy from Titans. If not, it seems odd that they'd dye Faye's and not his.

Im a mega fan of Cowboy Bebop but not so much with anything live action adaptation of anything animated. I cant really think of any that have been good, especially based off anime. I will give it a chance but I have very little hope in this being good. I also find live action adaptations, especially these days, to not be necessary.

18 hours ago, obs said:

There was -0% chance that Faye would be wearing the correct clothes given the oversensitive imbeciles that are in charge of these types of things nowadays.

I checked with my brother, who is THE Cowboy Beebop fan, and he tended to share your take of it being a sign o' the times, BUT, he also pointed out that the stunt requirements for a CBB show would be pretty elaborate, and some of the stuff required of Faye you just can't do in hot-pants and a painted on halter-top.

He did agree with me that Pineda looks great in the role, and is probably as close as you'll ever get to a 3D anime girl.

As for live action adaptions of anime? I'm honestly more into LA adaptions of American 'toons, Ben 10, Scooby Doo, etc. (don't judge). I have, however, seen and totally dug Full Metal Alchemist, Gatchaman, and Space Battleship Yamato. Every single one I watched made me wish we could do movies like that on this side of the pond.

This looks really cool, I have a crush on Pineda. Have had for a long time. But man, I cańt wait for this to stream!

On another take, I think it’s funny how we’re the over sensitive imbeciles and yet it’s someone else always complaining about how probably something changed because of our whining.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I enjoy what they are doing. I will def check it out.. altho I cant help get annoyed when I see the actress that plays Faye. We shall see. 

You can’t do athletic stuff or stunts in hot pants? Youtube: wwe women’s match. There’s thousands of them. Hot pants galore. Same with the men. Jumping off top ropes, hurricanranas, backflips, front flips, ladder matches you name it. All wearing very little clothing. Most of the men just wear tiny trunks and the women wear those but something else to cover up top. These excuses are unnecessary, you can just say that feminism has become a parody of itself and we are now back in Puritan times, all in an effort to block the perverted gaze of men.

• 4 weeks later...

COWBOY BEBOP is an action-packed space Western about three bounty hunters, aka "cowboys," all trying to outrun the past. As different as they are deadly, Spike Spiegel (John Cho), Jet Black (Mustafa Shakir), and Faye Valentine (Daniella Pineda) form a scrappy, snarky crew ready to hunt down the solar system's most dangerous criminals - for the right price. But they can only kick and quip their way out of so many scuffles before their pasts finally catch up with them.

The Countdown Begins...One Month Until Cowboy Bebop Premieres on Netflix November 19th

Hang with Spike Spiegel (John Cho), Jet Black (Mustafa Shakir), and Faye Valentine (Daniella Pineda) as they kick ass and chase bounties...you know, if they don't get themselves killed first.

ABOUT COWBOY BEBOP:

Based on the beloved anime series, COWBOY BEBOP is executive produced by André Nemec, Jeff Pinkner, Josh Appelbaum and Scott Rosenberg of Midnight Radio, Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements of Tomorrow Studios, Makoto Asanuma, Shin Sasaki and Masayuki Ozaki of Sunrise Inc., Tim Coddington, Tetsu Fujimura, Michael Katleman, Matthew Weinberg, and Christopher Yost. Nemec serves as showrunner. Original anime series director Shinichirō Watanabe is a consultant on the series, and original composer Yoko Kanno returns for the live-action adaptation. The series stars John Cho, Mustafa Shakir, Daniella Pineda, Elena Satine, Alex Hassell, Rachel House, Geoff Stults, Mason Alexander Park, Adrienne Barbeau, Jan Uddin, Tamara Tunie.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

New set of wanted posters were released featuring syndicate member Asimov Solensan (Jan Uddin), thief Abdul Hakim (Cali Nelle), terrorist Maria Murdock (Adrienne Barbeau), assassin Pierrot Le Fou (Josh Randall), and the Teddy Bomber (Rodney Cook).

cowboy_bebop_ver10_xlg.jpg

cowboy_bebop_ver11_xlg.jpg

cowboy_bebop_ver12_xlg.jpg

cowboy_bebop_ver13_xlg.jpg

cowboy_bebop_ver14_xlg.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

The streaming service Netflix has decided to opt-out of a second season of the live-action anime adaptation of Cowboy Depop.  The cancellation comes less than a month after the premiere on November 19th.

Based on Shinichirō Watanabe’s cult anime series, Cowboy Bebop followed a group of misfit bounty hunters, led by Spike Spiegel (Cho) as they search for the galaxy’s most valuable criminals. Mustafa Shakir also starred as Spike’s trusted co-pilot Jet Black and Daniella Pineda as the highly-skilled bounty hunter Faye Valentine.

The series was met with mixed reviews by critics and fans of the original, and the series also didn’t make a lasting impression in the streamer’s Top 10 rankings.  Also, the cost of the production for the first season was rather expensive and Cho’s on-set injury, which put the show out for seven to nine months didn't sit well with a second season from Netflix.

Cowboy Bebop was executive produced by André Nemec, Jeff Pinkner, Josh Appelbaum and Scott Rosenberg of Midnight Radio, Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements of Tomorrow Studios, Makoto Asanuma, Shin Sasaki and Masayuki Ozaki of Sunrise Inc., Tim Coddington, Tetsu Fujimura, Michael Katleman, Matthew Weinberg, and Christopher Yost. Nemec served as showrunner.

Source: Deadline

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I think live action anime adaptations just need to go away.  The vast majority of them just become a bad parody of the source material.  Why does everything have to be live action anyway?  Make a sequel mini-series or a reboot.  Anime isn't a medium that lends itself well to live action.

Honestly I didnt have high hopes for this. They had some cool live action concepts that were neat but its just not necessary. Why mess up a good thing? No one really wanted this and live action adaptations specifically to anime doesnt really translate well. I really cant think of one anime live action that was done well and on par with its anime. Also this was pretty doomed from the start as CB has been around for so long and has so many hardcore fans that if they didnt do it right, was going to get executed with a fatality on arrival. Which essentially this did. 1 month after release and already cancelled. I m having a hard time not laughing at this honestly. 

I liked it at first but there were way too many changes made for no good damn reason to forgive it. Some of it was just perfectly like the anime, and the music was a combination of pieces taken from the anime and all new material composed by the anime's composer. The changes they made to Vicious and for God's sake whatever the hell they did to Julia are what sank it. They greatly expanded the character of Annie and race swapped, but that was one of the few changes that I kind of liked. She was in the anime for about a minute or two .They also made a Julia sized change to Gren, as well and it was just awful. Then there's the infamous appearance of Ed and I wanted to go out back and bury myself in a hole it was so cringy. That character can be done in live action, but they need to find the right actor and take it just far enough to be the same character but not so far that it turns into what it was in this show. She's somewhat annoying in the anime, but she's a beloved character and you miss her when she exits.

I had read this show did well for Netflix and that season 2 was going to adapt the Bebop movie storyline, so it surprises the hell out of me that it got canceled. I would have liked to see if they could work out the flaws and turn a season 2 into something worthy of the name  Cowboy Bebop.

If you haven't watched the anime, then go watch it. It's on Netflix and it's 26 episodes of greatness. It destroys this live action show, and the proper Faye Valentine is only shown in that version of the show. That charfacter in the live action show is Maye Foulintime and not Faye Valentine.