NECA TMNT/Universal Monsters Figure Listings

JayC

Today we found something interesting that popped up in the Target store system. It appears NECA will be taking a page from Playmates Toys who did these back in the early 90s and doing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Universal Monsters mash-up figures. So far we have only found listings for 3 figures which include the following:

Michalangelo As The Mummy - DPCI# 323-07-8123

Raphel As Frakenstein's Monster - DPCI# 323-07-5907

Leonardo As Hunchback DPCI# 323-07-1061

The figures appear to be single releases that will cost $29.99 each. We assume these will be Target store exclusives but that is not confirmed. No word on a release date or if Donatello will be getting a figure, perhaps of Dracula or Wolfman. NECA of course is currently doing figures for both TMNT and Universal Monsters properties.

232625187_263263318664007_8040891436597192717_n.jpg

219544751_222484489801141_176576293307092263_n.jpg

235932451_203333571841180_6719759586229897222_n.jpg

236038447_797255664299075_3741403602614532332_n.jpg

Untitled.jpg

• Thanks 1

I’ll need to see them but I’m guessing at that price it will be a pass for me.  I’ve enjoyed monster/TMNT cross over figures before and have a lot of them but those are better when they are more playful toys coming out at a cheaper price point.  Spending higher dollar and getting a more highly detailed version of these goofy crossovers don’t really appeal to me.  

• 2 months later...

This spooky season, NECA (National Entertainment Collectibles Association) is thrilled and chilled to announce a Turtle-tacular new line of 7-inch scale action figures: Universal Monsters x Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Working closely with Universal Brand Development and Viacom, the figures will pay tribute to the world’s most famous turtles and iconic monsters.

The first figure to be released will be Raphael as Frankenstein’s Monster, coming in early 2022. Subsequent figures set for 2022 will include a full line of TMNT characters inspired by classic icons of horror from Universal Pictures.

NECA's Ultimate format is a favorite among collectors for its complete portrayal of a character with a wide array of accessories so that many scenes can be recreated. The 5th-panel packaging also allows collectors to remove and replace the figure without damaging the packaging.

NECA is a longtime ViacomCBS partner and has produced an expansive line of TMNT collector products based on the franchise’s movies and animated series, including collector figures, prop replicas, accessories, collectibles and more—available at Target, Walmart, and local comic book stores across the United States as well as internationally through authorized distributors around the world. In 2021, NECA announced its collaboration with Universal for a Universal Monsters-inspired line and began producing highly detailed action figures based on their classic horror movies.

We were the first told you about these coming back in August when they first showed up in the Target system. Three figures so far have been revealed via those listings which include the following:

Michalangelo As The Mummy - DPCI# 323-07-8123

Raphel As Frakenstein's Monster - DPCI# 323-07-5907

Leonardo As Hunchback DPCI# 323-07-1061

These will not be store exclusives and available everywhere. Raphel is available for pre-order now at our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

TMNT-Universal-Monsters-01.jpg

TMNT-Universal-Monsters-02.jpg

TMNT-Universal-Monsters-03.jpg

TMNT-Universal-Monsters-04.jpg

TMNT-Universal-Monsters-05.jpg

TMNT-Universal-Monsters-06.jpg

TMNT-Universal-Monsters-07.jpg

TMNT-Universal-Monsters-08.jpg

TMNT-Universal-Monsters-09.jpg

TMNT-Universal-Monsters-10.jpg

• Thanks 1

I'm pretty into this, looks really fun, actually darker then I'd have imagined, this figure in perticular probably just off the bat wouldn't be my fav of this batch seeing as Frankenstein in general isn't really my fav monster and I kinda find him goofy.

very interested to see what else this line has to offer.

WOW! That look was totally unexpected......It looks great so I'm in. It won't fit into the toon line, it doesn't really look like it fits the movie either, so maybe it's a little disappointing. Buuuut, it looks so good for what it is I don't really care about it fitting into either line. 

Chances are this mold will be used for a toon look at some point anyway. MORE MONSTER TURTLES!!!!!

• Thanks 1

I thought I remembered something real similar to this . . . turns out, I was right!
<P>
So, fun fact: Playmates actually did this back in the '90s.  The first wave featured the Big Four classics: Mikey as Frank, Raph as Mummy, Donny as Drac, and Leo as Wolf.  The second wave went with some classic second stringers: Invisible Mikey, Lagoon Leo, This Island Raph (brain alien), and Mrs. Frank April.  (No Donny in the second wave.)
<P>
Conventional wisdom would suggest that NECA would follow suit by updating the original figures, which might make one wonder why they made Raph into Frankenstein's Monster this time around.  HOWEVER, since A) NECA is kind of Playmates' COMPETITOR right now with this line, and B ) Super7 is the company that has the license (and Playmates' blessing) to make specialty market updates of the old figures, it actually makes sense that NECA is going with their own original mashups rather than retreading the OG line of figures.
<P>
It should also be noted that Playmates also did this in 2017 with the CGI TMNT . . . though in that case, the characters did ACTUALLY appear this way in the cartoon, due to a horror-themed story arc.
<P>
Personally, I've got little interest in Universal Monsters.  The sculpts on these NECA figures look REALLY good, so there's a possibility I'll pick them up, but it's not likely.  Still, it's a pretty awesome homage to a semi-obscure bit of TMNT toy history!

0518-tmnt-universal-leo-wolfman3.jpg

0520-tmnt-universal-leo-creature3.jpg

TMNT-Monsters-and-Mutants-Figures-1.jpg

• Thanks 1

NECA has revealed the second figure in their Universal Monsters x TMNT line! Introducing Leonardo as Ygor the Hunchback! He's the brains behind the Monster... and has the jar to prove it. More information to come in early 2022.

Last week we saw the Raphel As Frakenstein's Monster figure and we know there will be a Michalangelo As The Mummy figure coming as well. We still don't know if there will be any other figures for this line though we assume at least Donatello will get a figure.

Raphel is available for pre-order now at our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

Leonardo-Hunchback.jpg

So the Turtle leader is playing Dr Frankenstein's slave? Strange reason to cancel but I might drop my Frankenralph preorder. Im getting flashbacks of when all the Jim Lee turtles were released except Leo which was why i never kept that turtle set. For me, it would look like a wierd display to me. Leo was always front in center in the turtle display since he leads but he's a sidekick borderline goofy horror character here. Ralph as Frank and mikey as mummy are both awesome. I'm guessing Donnie will be a really cool one too....so I wonder if the folks at NECA hate Leo because relatively speaking the Hunchback is the lamest of all the monsters. Lol Oh well.. Great sculpt though...gotta give NECA that!

On 10/20/2021 at 3:27 AM, Batman1701 said:

I thought I remembered something real similar to this . . . turns out, I was right!
<P>
So, fun fact: Playmates actually did this back in the '90s.  The first wave featured the Big Four classics: Mikey as Frank, Raph as Mummy, Donny as Drac, and Leo as Wolf.  The second wave went with some classic second stringers: Invisible Mikey, Lagoon Leo, This Island Raph (brain alien), and Mrs. Frank April.  (No Donny in the second wave.)
<P>
Conventional wisdom would suggest that NECA would follow suit by updating the original figures, which might make one wonder why they made Raph into Frankenstein's Monster this time around.  HOWEVER, since A) NECA is kind of Playmates' COMPETITOR right now with this line, and B ) Super7 is the company that has the license (and Playmates' blessing) to make specialty market updates of the old figures, it actually makes sense that NECA is going with their own original mashups rather than retreading the OG line of figures.
<P>
It should also be noted that Playmates also did this in 2017 with the CGI TMNT . . . though in that case, the characters did ACTUALLY appear this way in the cartoon, due to a horror-themed story arc.
<P>
Personally, I've got little interest in Universal Monsters.  The sculpts on these NECA figures look REALLY good, so there's a possibility I'll pick them up, but it's not likely.  Still, it's a pretty awesome homage to a semi-obscure bit of TMNT toy history!

0518-tmnt-universal-leo-wolfman3.jpg

0520-tmnt-universal-leo-creature3.jpg

TMNT-Monsters-and-Mutants-Figures-1.jpg

What do you think of Leo as Hunchback? Strangest choice ever. Id rather take Leo as the Bride of Frankenstein lol 

1 hour ago, ChrisMOTUFAN said:

What do you think of Leo as Hunchback? Strangest choice ever. Id rather take Leo as the Bride of Frankenstein lol 

really strange, feels like it ruins the line, i don't have any interest in the turtles, but might have picked these up cause the Frankenstein one looks awesome, but this one? and he's the leader of the team? really weird choice here

3 hours ago, ChrisMOTUFAN said:

Iiiii . . . agree, it's kind of a strange choice. *LOL* But I don't think it's a BAD one.  Sure, he's not AS iconic, but they still gave him a cool design.  I'd wait to condemn it until we see what future plans they have for the line.
<P>

2 hours ago, Faceless said:

Interesting choices. Will they all be Frankenstein themed? Maybe Donatello as Dr. Frankenstein, and April as Bride of Frankenstein? If not, certainly seems like an odd choice as others said to make Leo a supporting character. 

They've already stated that Michelangelo is going to be The Mummy, so NOT ENTIRELY a Frankenstein-themed series.  Though I agree, I wouldn't put it past them to make Donny Dr. Frank and make April into The Bride, thus making it a MOSTLY Frank-themed line, but with some crossover into the next series of figures, which might have some Mummy side characters (WERE there any other monsters in the classic Mummy movies?  Universal Monsters were never my thing . . . maybe they make some figures based on the Fraser Mummy movies?  Dunno.), or maybe they just follow up with some other stand-alone monsters. *shrug*

10 hours ago, RickytheRockstar said:

really strange, feels like it ruins the line, i don't have any interest in the turtles, but might have picked these up cause the Frankenstein one looks awesome, but this one? and he's the leader of the team? really weird choice here

Yep! I really love the frankenralph and hunchinleo looks cool as a figure but knowing all the turtles play cool monsters *except* him? I have to jump ship. Its fine. Great looking figs but I need to save money on other lines. So many companies. So many lines. So many figures.

NECA this month started showing off their new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/Universal Monsters mash-up action figure line with their Raphel As Frakenstein's Monster and Leonardo As Ygor the Hunchback.

We also knew from retail store listings that there is a Michalangelo As The Mummy figure coming for this line and we assumed some version of Donatello would also make its way in the line. Well it seems that is just the tip of the iceberg for these. NECA on their social media has confirmed that they have already done a total of 8 figures for this line with more to come.

While it's possible they could see them just do other versions of the Turtles themselves as different monsters, my guess is we will start seeing other characters from the Turtle franchise get turned into Universal Monsters. I could easily see something like April as the Bride of Frakenstein.

NECA also confirmed that are going to be doing accessory sets for their normal 7" Universal Monsters figures which I am sure would also work well with these Tutles figures.

So what TMNT/Universal Monsters Mash-Ups do you want to see incorporated into the line?

00.jpg