RIP Joerhyno - You Will Be Missed!!!

JayC

It's not often I have to write something as hard as this, but this morning I woke up to the sad news that last night we lost one of the kindest and most stellar members of the action figure collecting community I have come to know over the course of the 20+ years I have been running these sites. His name is Joe Ryan, though most of us know him as Joerhyno. I first came to know Joe through our message boards many many years ago. Joe had a particular love for Star Wars and G.I. Joe and was also very much into customizing.

Joe these past few years has been fighting stage 4 cancer, and even despite that if you followed him here or on his various social media pages would always somehow manage to post things that were uplifting or made you feel good to be part of this hobby and the community that makes up the world of action figure collecting.

Joe wasn't a big time YouTuber or anything like that, but I can honestly say his love for action figures and his family helped make this hobby for me more fun than anyone else I have come to know over the years and he will be sorely missed. RIP Joe.

Joe-Ryno-02 1.jpg

JoeRyno-01 1.jpg

• Thanks 1

Didn’t know him but nonetheless it’s always sad to hear.  My thoughts go out to his friends here and his family.  

• Thanks 1

Joe was one of my closest friends.  I was able to see him on Wednesday, and he told the nurse who was tending to him that he considered me his brother.  It was a sentiment that I shared.  He was such a champion of our community, and he handled his medical setbacks with grace and courage.  

My heart goes out to his wife and son and all of the friends that he made throughout his life.  If you had any communication with him or knew him at all, please take a moment on Wednesday (his birthday) to stop and remember him.  

Thank you for everything, Joe.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh man this is saddening news! I m only familiar with him in that I always saw him around the boards over the bunch of years Ive been on here. Truly saddening to hear. RIP

• Thanks 1

Jay told me Joe was sick when I came on as a mod. I didn't know him well at all, but I always thought he seemed like a cool guy. I knew the odds were against him, but I was hoping that somehow he'd beat it. I'm sad to read that he didn't. My condolences to his friends and loved ones.

• Thanks 1

Jay also mentioned to me that Joe could not be present as much because he was sick a couple of years back when I became moderator too. My work is not allowing me a lot of time to be present in this Forum as much as I would like to, unfortunately, but I contribute in other ways. 

I have lost my mother to cancer and I know the pain. That is the main reason that I do what I do right now and also why I don't have the time to be here. So I even not knowing Joe, my thoughts are with his loved ones and his friends.  He fought hard, be sure of that. But some battles you can't win. He is resting now, in peace and watching over all of us. May God rest his soul.  Go well Joe. 

• Thanks 1

i am sorry to hear about that, hopefully he is an a better paradise within afterlife, rest in peace man

• Thanks 1

Sad day indeed. The man was an icon of a bygone era of the collecting community. When I first became aware of Joerhyno, the community was just that, a community, a bunch of fans who shared a common interest. No small men with delusions of entitlement, no scalpers, just guys who knew what it was about. Not a bad legacy.

See Ya Joe, you will be missed.

• Thanks 1

I remember Joe when he first joined back in 2004 and over the years with numerous posts.  I did notice he seemed to disappear for a while but I didn't know he was dealing with cancer.  I figured he got bored of the place or just left and went to Twitter or Facebook.  I remember him coming back again back in 2015 but left again like it was nothing.  You don't think it's because of any serious and you never think it might be because of cancer.  I never had a problem with Joe and my condolences to his wife and son and everyone else close to Joe.

15 hours ago, Wedge1968 said:

Joe was one of my closest friends.  I was able to see him on Wednesday, and he told the nurse who was tending to him that he considered me his brother.  It was a sentiment that I shared.  He was such a champion of our community, and he handled his medical setbacks with grace and courage.  

My heart goes out to his wife and son and all of the friends that he made throughout his life.  If you had any communication with him or knew him at all, please take a moment on Wednesday (his birthday) to stop and remember him.  

Thank you for everything, Joe.

Joe was the one that signed me up to be a mod.

We met at JoeCon 2015 in Springfield, IL then I had dinner with him & Wedge1968's family.

I regret not being able to join you guys for the collector meet-ups.  I'm just not a morning person or was busy with other things.
Truly gone too soon and will miss him also.

I didn't know Joe, but this is very saddening news, much love goes out to his family and everyone who he blessed in their life, I hope he gets the greatest dream collection in the place up above, my condolences.

This is very sad news. I didn't know him personally but he always seemed like a cool guy based on his posts here and he was very passionate about collecting and the community. My sincere condolences to his friends and family, may he rest in peace. 

• 7 months later...

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=5110734252320507&set=oa.847807232542442

275538891_5110734238987175_7204923329240

Pony Express Rider figure that we will offer in an assortment for preorder later this year. The portrait used here is of our late friend Joe Ryan who passed last year after a very lengthy battle with colon cancer. Joe was a big Bears fan, and requested these colors be included in the palette, and we wanted to reference the definitive Western art of people like Remington and Russell in the design.
We are going to do something a little special with this figure to help out his teenage son Ben, as the family drained their resources taking care of Joe and themselves. $5 of each purchase will be handed over to them to help with his depleted college fund. We will be doing this up front once the figures are on the way, in a lump sum.
In addition, we will help the family set up a direct GoFundMe link so that you can match the donation (or more) with your purchase, and share that link on the preorder page. We will also be doing the same thing with Joe's Headshot Horde figure: the Pony Express rider. We hope that you will give generously, and keep his young widow and son in your thoughts, as you do.

• Like 2