Regina King Is Being Considered To Direct Upcoming 'Superman' Film

Outsiders

Tiffany Cross, of The Cross Connection on MSNBC interview Regina King on Saturday and Cross surprised King about being considered to direct an upcoming Superman film for Warner Bros. and DC.

“I’m curious, because this is a little bit of gossip. You’re rumored to be on the short list to direct Superman. You and Barry Jenkins, both of your names have been thrown out there,” the MSNBC host said. “Anything you want to tell us? Is there any news you can break this morning about those conversations?”

“Tiffany, that is news to me. You have broke the news to me,” laughed King. “A news break, live on MSNBC!

“Yeah, no, I have not heard that until just now,” she continued.

Right now, discussion of King's involvement is highly speculative as various media outlets are pointing out that King is one of a number of high-profile directors being considered for the recently announced superhero project, which is being written by Ta-Nehisi Coates, with J.J. Abrams and Hannah Minghella serving as producers. Others discussed as directors include Jenkins, Ryan Coogler, Steven Caple Jr., J.D. Dillard and Shaka King.

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that Warner Bros. and DC are committed to hiring a Black director for the project, given that it will be the first to ever center on a Black Superman.

Source: Deadline

Regina_King.jpg

49 minutes ago, FASVB said:

Why?

Bad move after bad move...

🤦‍♂️

...Why would this be a bad move?  She may not have that extensive of a directing career, but she seems to have had quite the well-regarded film recently in One Night In Miami.  Nothing about the possibility of her being chosen really screams "bad move" to me.

• Like 1

She’s an amazing actress, I’ll admit I don’t know much about her directorial chops, guess I should check out ‘one night in Miami’’. I’d be pretty excited if she were cast as this earths version of Lois lane or Lex Luthor though 

DDrLava last I checked Abrams was white. Why should only black writers write stories about black characters? Why cant an Asian writer write a black comic character? I recall Todd McFarlane wrote Al Simmons and his family as black characters very successfully. You seem to believe black characters can only be handled by black writers. How racist of you? Oh and I hated Coates run on Captain America. By your standards perhaps only white writers should have handled that character anyway.  Spare me the fake outrage champ. We know who the real racist is here. 

You're the only bigot here Dr Lava. You believe only black writers are qualified to write or direct black characters.  If anyone dares question your racist views you declare them racists and bigots.  Art is subjective champ. A better writer than Coates to me may not be better to you. But you seem to believe Coates skin color is the best qualification to write any character black or white. How racist of you.  I didn't ask for your thoughts on the quality of McFarlanes writing I simply offered that hes a non black creator that has had continued success with his creation of a black super hero.  You began giving me an issue count on specifically how many issues he penned while ignoring hes a white creator of a successful black super hero starring title which goes against your racist assertion that a black creator is best to write a black hero.  

As for warners dr lava....I said right off the bat that they cant seem to guide their DC property very well.  So telling me what the article says about Warners intentions is puerile. Much like you declaring others racists while not acknowledging your obvious racism and bigotry. 

Grew up watching her on 227(damn I miss being 8 years old 😁) then seeing her in blockbuster movies like jerry maguire she seems to always rise up to the challenge as an actress, hope she can do the same if she's given superman.

3 hours ago, magvmag said:

Grew up watching her on 227(damn I miss being 8 years old 😁

Whoa thats why she looks so familiar to me! I didnt even realize. Its been quite a while since I saw 227 XD.. Im sure Ive seen her in other things but crazy I didnt even realize she was from that show.