Playmates Toys 6" Leonardo vs Rocksteady and Michelangelo vs Bebop 2-Pack Images

JayC

This is the most ridiculous cash-grab concept.  I understand Playmates is trying to make a buck and can't stand having to make new molds for new toys, but COME ON!  How would this crossover EVER happen?  Turtles decide to come out to the world by entering a Karate tournament?  But, rather than find one in New York, they schlepped all the way to Receda, California?  Why is this a thing?  I think the time has come for Playmates to drop the TMNT line the way they've been dropping the ball for years.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KryptonianNL said:

This is the most ridiculous cash-grab concept.  I understand Playmates is trying to make a buck and can't stand having to make new molds for new toys, but COME ON!  How would this crossover EVER happen?  Turtles decide to come out to the world by entering a Karate tournament?  But, rather than find one in New York, they schlepped all the way to Receda, California?  Why is this a thing?  I think the time has come for Playmates to drop the TMNT line the way they've been dropping the ball for years.

Where have you been? TMNT has been doing crossovers like this since forever: TMNT & Star Trek, TMNT & Power Rangers, TMNT & WWE, TMNT & Batman, TMNT & Ghostbusters. If anything this one fits together even more perfectly than all the others except maybe Power Rangers. I love the concept, but those CK figures leave a lot to be desired and make me extremely worried for Star Trek figures when Playmates starts putting those out again. They look cheap and like they don't have great articulation. Faces are a little hard to tell for sure, but they don't look super great from what I can see. Would like to get one in hand to take a closer look, but I'm definitely concerned.

A very interesting crossover... My only gripe is they just keep reusing those poop molds and doing very little new to them. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JayC said:

We first told you about these coming back in May, and now images via overseas etailer Kapow Toys have surfaced for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-packs being released from Playmates Toys. The four sets include the TMNT Turtles and characters from the Netflix Cobra Kai series which has already been renewed for a 5th season.

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Donatello vs Johnny Lawrence
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Michelangelo vs Danny Larusso
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Leonardo vs Miguel
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Raphael vs John Kreese

Here in the US these will be offered at Walmart and cost $40 each.

TMNT-Vs-Cobra-Kai-01.jpg

TMNT-Vs-Cobra-Kai-02.jpg

TMNT-Vs-Cobra-Kai-03.jpg

TMNT-Vs-Cobra-Kai-04.jpg

I think they all look good...🐢😎✌️

If this is based on the "Cobra Kai" show, why are Danny and Johnny kids again?
<P>
Why is Kreese in 1980s fighting shape?  No, scratch that, why does he have a TEENAGE body??
<P>
Why are all of the humans SO LANKY?
<P>
Why do the CK figures' bare arms look like sleeves around their wrists?  WHAT'S WRONG WITH THEIR WRISTS??
<P>
WHAT IS GOING ON WITH THESE FIGURES?!?
<P>
. . . Oh right.  PLAYMATES is going on with these figures. *sigh*
<P>
Like, we all knew they were just gonna repackage the Classic Collection molds for the . . . *counting* . . . four, five, sixth?  Seventh time?  And it was a foregone conclusion that they were gonna do their best to use ONE body mold for every CK character.  And judging from the new Shredder, it was almost CERTAIN they were gonna make the CK figures small and skinny compared to the oversized chonky Turtles.
<P>
But . . . somehow, I still didn't expect them to look THIS BAD.  Like, I figured the CK license people would be all "yo, Playmates, you put some EFFORT into this crap, or we'll yank the license back from you so fast, you'll get whiplash!"
<P>
Nope!  These are fun from a conceptual standpoint, but this whole line?  HARD PASS.

15 hours ago, KryptonianNL said:

And don't get me wrong, I got no objection to the concept of the crossover.  Logic isn't SUPPOSED to be involved (look at "Batman Vs. TMNT").  It's just a fun mish-mash.  It's ascended fanfic.  There's nothing wrong with that.  And as noted by others, the TMNT have been doing that for YEARS. 
<P>
One of my prize additions to my collection is a complete set of Star Trek TMNT from the '90s.  They're dumb and whimsical and silly and garish and they're FANTASTIC!!  No, the crossover doesn't make sense for them.  But more importantly . . . they're GOOD toys.  Yes, dated articulation (they ARE from the '90s), but well made for the time, with attention to detail.  Totally worth it.
<P>
These?  A bunch of decade-old repaints and some of the worst new-mold 6" figures I've ever seen.

• Thanks 1

Oh boy, I can't say I think those Cobra Kai 2 packs are even in the least bit good, everything is sucky about them. I'm so sorry for those who are fans. Playmates asleep at the tooling wheel again, phoning in hard from an ancient payphone on skid row.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

The first two sets in the Playmates Toys line of 6" TMNT Vs Cobra Kai 2-Packs has started hitting Target stores. These sets include Michelangelo vs Danny Larusso and Donatello vs Johnny Lawrence. They are also available on Target's website.

The other two sets which look to be part of a second wave includes Leonardo vs Miguel and Raphael vs John Kreese. Those two have not yet been released.

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-01.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-02.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-03.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-04.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-05.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-06.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-07.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-08.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-09.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-10.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-11.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-12.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-13.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-14.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-15.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-16.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JayC said:

The first two sets in the Playmates Toys line of 6" TMNT Vs Cobra Kai 2-Packs has started hitting Target stores. These sets include Michelangelo vs Danny Larusso and Donatello vs Johnny Lawrence. They are also available on Target's website.

The other two sets which look to be part of a second wave includes Leonardo vs Miguel and Raphael vs John Kreese. Those two have not yet been released.

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-01.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-02.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-03.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-04.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-05.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-06.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-07.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-08.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-09.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-10.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-11.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-12.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-13.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-14.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-15.jpg

TMNT-Cobra-Kai-16.jpg

They look good and makes me think if add them to my collection or not... The selling point for me is the Karate Kid characters which I don't own any of them and they are so iconic for their movies...😀✌️

6 hours ago, Belmont13 said:

I saw these at Target, the Turtles are same old same old and the Cobra Kai figures look very cheap.

You know? I might just have forgiven this line ALL it's shortcomings . . . if they would've just given us a Daniel capable of doing the friggin' Crane kick.

1 hour ago, mako said:

You know? I might just have forgiven this line ALL it's shortcomings . . . if they would've just given us a Daniel capable of doing the friggin' Crane kick.

Yeah, the limited articulation is a negative on these sets.

19 minutes ago, Belmont13 said:

Yeah, the limited articulation is a negative on these sets.

Especially for a line of martial arts fighters. Granted, Cobra Kai (and Karate Kid before it) style martial arts are a little more grounded than your usual "Hollywood-Fu," but with that crap articulation and those hard skirts, forget it!

• 2 weeks later...