Playmates Toys 6" Leonardo vs Rocksteady and Michelangelo vs Bebop 2-Pack Images

JayC

I really like the Villains from these sets. I think Shredder is in the right scale for the other villains. The problem is that those turtles look huge next to them. If I can find these at market I will pick them up for sure, but I'll probably have to find a different set of turtles to display.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Flounnderr said:

I really like the Villains from these sets. I think Shredder is in the right scale for the other villains. The problem is that those turtles look huge next to them. If I can find these at market I will pick them up for sure, but I'll probably have to find a different set of turtles to display.

And here I think we see the problem with this "line," at least for the near future. Where Neca's Turtles are marketed as 7" but are actually very much in the 6" scale, the Turtles tooling Playmates has been using forever, is a lot closer to 7" than 6" scale. Their new 6" villains apparently have been spared this problem.

I have no doubt if playmates decides to continue these figures, and they're successful enough, they'll cook themselves up a set of "corrected" Turtles quickly enough. Almost makes me wanna support the line just to see where it goes.

• Thanks 1

So I was there at 9:50am EST at Walmart Collector Con that day and was only there for the Playmates TMNT singles and 2packs and they NEVER went live.  I pressed refresh for and hour and a half.  So unless you know someone who got one, I’d say they didn’t go live at all

• Thanks 1

I would like to collect this two packs line... I want to get that Shredder and everybody else... Too bad the Bebop and Rocksteady pack sold out at Walmart online... I really wanted to get those two... I'm guessing that we will see in the near future a Krang pack...

Do you have JayC picture of the prototypes you mentioned early in your comments?

4 hours ago, chickenfeetrfun2eat said:

Geez, that Shredder is too small. And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't these Turtle figures released individually before?

The four Turtles and Bebop and Rocksteady are all re-releases of the TMNT Classic Collection figures that Playmates released circa . . . 2012 I believe?  Even at the time, the Turtles were too big and had some . . . odd choices for articulation (those fingers, man), and Bebop and Rocksteady (while they ARE good figures, sorta, mostly, I guess) had a slew of problems: missing key joints (no ankles, limited hips), missing paint applications, improper assembly (Rocksteady's calf segments are on wrong), completely new sculpts and deco that (again, while pretty cool) weren't accurate to either the cartoons OR the classic figures, and of course, they were ABSURDLY undersized compared to the TMNT.
<P>
Shredder and the Triceraton are the only new figures in this line.  And they seem to be following the trend of Bebop and Rocksteady.  The Triceraton is WAY off the original toy and the cartoon model, Shredder's head seems . . . very strange, and while both seem to be reasonably good figures in and of themselves, the paint looks limited and flat, they just look dated compared to modern toys, and of course, the are WAY too small compared to the TMNT.
<P>
Plus . . . SERIOUSLY, why a @#$%ing TRICERATON, FFS?? *LMAO* Like, of ALL the iconic villains of the '87 cartoon or the classic toy line, the Triceratons were iconic . . . to the COMICS ONLY. Baxter Stockman, Krang, Slash, Rat King, SO MANY options . . . but a Triceraton?? *SMDH*
<P>
And of course, as noted in my first comment, the weapons aren't even new, they're just re-molds of the same weapons from the '80s figures.
<P>
So yeah, Playmates continues to baffle and facepalm with their absurd and/or cheap decisions.  BUT . . . I still think the two new figures would at least be worth checking out.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Batman1701 said:

The four Turtles and Bebop and Rocksteady are all re-releases of the TMNT Classic Collection figures that Playmates released circa . . . 2012 I believe?  Even at the time, the Turtles were too big and had some . . . odd choices for articulation (those fingers, man), and Bebop and Rocksteady (while they ARE good figures, sorta, mostly, I guess) had a slew of problems: missing key joints (no ankles, limited hips), missing paint applications, improper assembly (Rocksteady's calf segments are on wrong), completely new sculpts and deco that (again, while pretty cool) weren't accurate to either the cartoons OR the classic figures, and of course, they were ABSURDLY undersized compared to the TMNT.
<P>
Shredder and the Triceraton are the only new figures in this line.  And they seem to be following the trend of Bebop and Rocksteady.  The Triceraton is WAY off the original toy and the cartoon model, Shredder's head seems . . . very strange, and while both seem to be reasonably good figures in and of themselves, the paint looks limited and flat, they just look dated compared to modern toys, and of course, the are WAY too small compared to the TMNT.
<P>
Plus . . . SERIOUSLY, why a @#$%ing TRICERATON, FFS?? *LMAO* Like, of ALL the iconic villains of the '87 cartoon or the classic toy line, the Triceratons were iconic . . . to the COMICS ONLY. Baxter Stockman, Krang, Slash, Rat King, SO MANY options . . . but a Triceraton?? *SMDH*
<P>
And of course, as noted in my first comment, the weapons aren't even new, they're just re-molds of the same weapons from the '80s figures.
<P>
So yeah, Playmates continues to baffle and facepalm with their absurd and/or cheap decisions.  BUT . . . I still think the two new figures would at least be worth checking out.

Yeah, no idea on why the pick up that characters but anyways us coming... Bebop and Rocksteady sold out too fast online...

I know I'm in the minority.  But I actually like these turtles.  They feel more like toys compared to the neca ones which are works of art.  And they go pretty well with my MOTUC and ultimates figures as they should be smaller than those guys realistically.  Little let down by the shredder.  I with the 5kids series would get some more love.  IMO that's by far the best series.  Realistically like  seasons that all tie together and are fun hitting all the beats of the comic run.  Iention that to say id like to see that shredder in this style. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MagnaPrime said:

I know I'm in the minority.  But I actually like these turtles.  They feel more like toys compared to the neca ones which are works of art.  And they go pretty well with my MOTUC and ultimates figures as they should be smaller than those guys realistically.  Little let down by the shredder.  I with the 5kids series would get some more love.  IMO that's by far the best series.  Realistically like  seasons that all tie together and are fun hitting all the beats of the comic run.  Iention that to say id like to see that shredder in this style. 

While I completely agree that the 4Kids '03 TMNT animated series is tied for the very best TMNT series yet made (side by side with Nick's 2012 TMNT, and yes, I will fight and die on this hill! *LOL*) . . . you're probably NEVER going to see any new toys from it EVER again.
<P>
Why?  Well, four reasons.
<P>
1) Playmates, as a toy company, is pretty stagnant anymore, and only seems to know how to do two things:
- Make kids toys on the cheap for the limited (and rapidly dwindling) number of IPs they still have the license to milk.
- Play on the nostalgic goodwill of people who played with the toys they made years ago from their most popular IPs. 
That means any time a new iteration of TMNT or Ben 10 or Godzilla or . . . uh, I mean, that's all they really got anymore . . . or whatever, any time a new show or movie comes out, the all their effort goes into those new toys and nothing else.  And when there IS no new show or movie . . . well, let's just re-release some old classic figures from 30 years ago!  NOTHING in between.  They don't have a tendency to revisit anything in the middle, just the stuff that was a major hit way back in their "glory" days.  Hence, all the constant '87 TMNT re-release figures.  This is why you're also unlikely to see them revisit the '07 movie, the 2012 cartoon, the BayMNT movies, or Rise ever again as well.
<P>
2) Nickelodeon is the current rights-holder for the TMNT overall, and while they do apparently have the master rights over the '87 series, they do NOT seem to have the rights to the '03 series.  This means they would understandably not want anyone emphasize the existence of a show they can't make money off of by putting out figures based on that property.  And since Playmates do what Nickelodeon say . . . no '03 toys.
<P>
3) Tying into the previous point, the specifics of the buy-out deal Nickelodeon made with Peter Laird when they purchased TMNT in '09 are . . . complicated?  Of note, Peter Laird still retains certain rights to produce TMNT comics, and hold additional rights over legacy content he created.  Again, this is predominantly so he can continue making royalties off of reprints of TMNT comic collections from Vol. 1, 2, and 4.  BUT . . . Laird was ALSO heavily involved in the '03 cartoon (which is why it held so close to the comics), and (while I DO NOT know this for certain) he may still have some ownership rights attached to that series.  If that's the case, the navigation through legal complexities involved in making new '03-based toys would likely be too labyrinthine for Playmates to bother, and as noted, Nickelodeon wouldn't be thrilled with them trying in the first place.
<P>
And 4) The simple fact is, as good as the 4kids show was, most of the fandom still sees the '87 series as THE definitive TMNT.  Nostalgia sells.  That's why NECA focuses on that show (with a secondary focus on the '90 movie, probably tied as the second most popular iteration, next to the comics), that's why Super7 focuses on that toyline, that's why a new side-scroller beat-em-up game called "Shredder's Revenge" is coming out based on that series, that's why merch based on that old cartoon is produced by Nickelodeon to this day even though they had NOTHING to do with it originally.  '87 is the cash cow, '03 is the smarter, cooler, but way less popular little brother.
<P>
I am right there with you, I'd love to see some "Marvel Legends"-esque faithful recreations of the '03 TMNT designs, it's pretty much purely a pipe dream, sadly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved these figures at the time and was saddened that it didn’t continue back then.  But now there’s just better stuff out there and while this is obviously priced at a better point than NECA and S7 they are still at a premium price compared to other Playmate Turtle lines and while the price is premium these scaling issues are not.  These first packs I don’t need since I have them but I would have been interested in some of the new ones like Shredder had they not had such obvious issues with the scale.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Derek has gotten his hands on the new Playmates Toys 6" Classic Collection Triceraton And Shredder figures and posted in-hand images of the two. Shredder will be released in a 2-pack with Donatello and Triceraton will be released in a 2-pack with Raphael. The two turtle figures are re-releases from a few years ago.

01.jpg

02.jpg

• Thanks 1

Oooof! 😯😟😬
<P>
Sssooo . . . Triceraton is clearly trying to evoke the '80s action figure over any other inspiration.  It's closest to that design.  The colors are all wrong, and he's got really outlandishly huge, dangling gorilla arms, but . . . it's a decent update of the original figure.  Aside from the weapons, which are LITERALLY just recast from the original figure.  It's . . . okay, I guess.  And at the very least, I really legit approve of the new detailed sculpt.  Yeah.  Yeah!  Okay, I like it!
<P>
(EDIT: I jus' realize 'e ain't gat no tail!! *LMAO* Okay, he loses points for that, but I still think he comes out as an overall win!)
<P>
But Shredder?  Oh MAN, Shredder!
<P>
Shredder ain't got no lower jaw!  One of the TMNT uppercut him, and knocked his lower jaw into the bottom of his sinus cavity!!  And he's already got a tiny head in that big ol' helmet, so now it looks like he's a child cosplaying as Shredder!  Yeah, his helmet is the right size, but his head is ENTIRELY disproportional to his body, so the kabuto looks empty and the face looks squished.
<P>
And to further the cosplay effect, his shoulder pads look like they're barely attached, floating above his shoulders.  And the bracers?  The straps just look like big slabs directly attached to the armor, not like "belts" or any real securing strips of cloth.  They look like accessories from a He-Man figure from the early '80s!  His armor looks like a children's Halloween costume!!
<P>
And why Shredder SO skinny?  And why are his pecs floating above his abs?  Why the MASSIVE torso gap?  Why no bicep swivel? Why the tiny, stubby little blades that end with flat edges instead of rounded-but-still-semi-pointed tips?  Why big blank circles with triangles instead of the usual sewer cover stands? Why is this an apparently new sword mold that nevertheless looks like the laziest sword ever sculpted? Katana and Ninjato do not have giant knobs at the ends!!  WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?!?
<P>
How is it that FOUR OTHER COMPANIES have released highly poseable, AMAZING Shredder figures in the last few years (Super7's Ultimate, DC Collectible's Batman V TMNT, Hasbro's upcoming Power Rangers V TMNT, and NECA's cartoon . . . and comic, and videogame, and movie, AND Super Shredder, and how many repaints . . . .) and yet Playmates - THE MASTER TOY LICENSOR FOR TMNT - can't even get this guy correct??  They prototyped him 8 FRIGGIN' YEARS AGO!!  They had HALF A DOZEN PREVIOUS FIGURES TO CHEAT OFF OF!!!

• Thanks 2

Shredder looks like a kids meal toy. Who at playmates approved how awful he looks? I mean I guess they just like cutting corners and are cheap as it is so this shouldnt surprise me but anyone with eyes can tell that looks awful. Triceraton looks ok and is definitely evoking nostalgia from the original line. Nothing to complain about with him but these figs just look cheap af. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr_Scary92 said:

Hmm, maybe they already had the mold, all the necessary tooling to produce the figure and finally decided to produce it, 'cause you know, make some quick cash.

Even so, who EVER thought that was a good head sculpt.  I mean seriously.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mako said:

Found these at Walmart the other day. The publicity pix just don't convey how truly out of scale these bad boys are with each other.

They were in the toy are? And next to which line?

1 hour ago, Roadpigmaster said:

They were in the toy are? And next to which line?

Hard to say, my Walmart's in the middle of a reset. Basically, they were in the little cubby area beneath the pegboards where the Power Rangers Lightning Force and Fortnite toys hang.

Coincidentally, I also found the rerelease figures on the pegs at the opposite end of the isle, next to the Marvel stuff. I assume this is going to be the new Playmates area. With this particular store, it's anybody's guess.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mako said:

Hard to say, my Walmart's in the middle of a reset. Basically, they were in the little cubby area beneath the pegboards where the Power Rangers Lightning Force and Fortnite toys hang.

Coincidentally, I also found the rerelease figures on the pegs at the opposite end of the isle, next to the Marvel stuff. I assume this is going to be the new Playmates area. With this particular store, it's anybody's guess.

Good to know. At least I don't have to check the electronic department...😀✌️

On 8/18/2021 at 9:23 PM, JayC said:

Derek has gotten his hands on the new Playmates Toys 6" Classic Collection Triceraton And Shredder figures and posted in-hand images of the two. Shredder will be released in a 2-pack with Donatello and Triceraton will be released in a 2-pack with Raphael. The two turtle figures are re-releases from a few years ago.

01.jpg

02.jpg

im sooooooo disappointed with shredder

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We first told you about these coming back in May, and now images via overseas etailer Kapow Toys have surfaced for the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-packs being released from Playmates Toys. The four sets include the TMNT Turtles and characters from the Netflix Cobra Kai series which has already been renewed for a 5th season.

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Donatello vs Johnny Lawrence
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Michelangelo vs Danny Larusso
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Leonardo vs Miguel
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Raphael vs John Kreese

Here in the US these will be offered at Walmart and cost $40 each.

TMNT-Vs-Cobra-Kai-01.jpg

TMNT-Vs-Cobra-Kai-02.jpg

TMNT-Vs-Cobra-Kai-03.jpg

TMNT-Vs-Cobra-Kai-04.jpg

• Thanks 1