Playmates Toys 6" Leonardo vs Rocksteady and Michelangelo vs Bebop 2-Pack Images

JayC

Shown below via the Australian retailer popcultcha we have our first look at two of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2-Packs coming from Playmates Toys we first told you about the other week.

These 2-packs appear to be re-releases of the 6" Classic TMNT figures Playmates released several years ago only now in more retro like packaging. Shown below are images for the 2-packs featuring Leonardo vs Rocksteady and Michelangelo vs Bebop.

We have yet to see images for the other two 2-packs that we previously reported on which includes Raphael vs Triceraton and Donatello vs Shredder. While the remaining Turtles all had 6" figures released previously from Playmates, Shredder and the Triceraton did not. There was a prototype for Shredder along with Krang in Android Body made for their 6 line but they were never released. It will be interesting to see if they finally release Shredder in one of these 2-packs and whether or not Triceraton is a totally new figure

We also await images for the TMNT vs Cobra Kai sets that appear to be coming from Playmates Toys. Those have been listed as follows:

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Donatello vs Johnny Lawrence
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Michelangelo vs Danny Larusso
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Leonardo vs Miguel
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Raphael vs John Kreese

Check out images for the Leonardo vs Rocksteady and Michelangelo vs Bebop 2-packs below and we will update this story once we know or see more.

TMNT-2-pack-01.jpg

TMNT-2-pack-02.jpg

TMNT-2-pack-03.jpg

TMNT-2-pack-04.jpg

TMNT-2-pack-05.jpg

TMNT-2-pack-06.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh these figures again, yeah Playmates doesn't even try anymore, just keep baking the same cakes over and over again, at least it seems like they might actually put out Shredder and Triceraton, and Kobra Kai? confusing. I actually never hated these figures but, it's too late, NECA already has this market cornered Playmates needs something else to try and compete.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

NECA already has this market cornered Playmates needs something else to try and compete.

To "Corner the Market," you need to have a little more on the button than an exclusive release line you barely distribute in the first place.

As for Playmates? If these were a little closer to 6" than 7" scale, I'd have been all over them LONG AGO and wouldn't give Neca a second look.

14 minutes ago, mako said:

To "Corner the Market," you need to have a little more on the button than an exclusive release line you barely distribute in the first place.

As for Playmates? If these were a little closer to 6" than 7" scale, I'd have been all over them LONG AGO and wouldn't give Neca a second look.

The NECA line isn't that difficult to find and a lot of it has been offered on their website. With a couple of exceptions, this line hasn't been that bad. GI Joe Classified Cobra Island is bad, NECA TMNT isn't bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mako said:

I don't really know how well these are being distributed anymore in the US, but from what I have seen they seem to be getting pretty heavily stocked now, tons of stores I've seen from US hunters are showing ample stock of the Toon figures at stores now (it's not summer 2020 anymore) , they are also generally being offered via NECA's website, so I don't know about your local stores Mako, maybe it's just you and your location.

hey in Canada we never get these figures we don't have targets, they don't show up inless you rush to EB games for pre-orders I've never seen a figure in stores, thankfully I don't collect them, but I do collect NECA movie turtles and I've had success getting everything I've needed April is the final figure for me.

so you must live on Anti-toy Island because you say you can't find anything. *shrug*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Man I can’t wait for these! I had the turtles before and I loved them, but I could never find bebop and rocksteady! These are getting a lot of hate it seems, but if that’s the case maybe I’ll actually be able to find these! Glad to see Playmates joining back in the fun!

• Thanks 1

WOW they are STILL trying to resell these not so great turtles molds?!?! Like instead of trying to improve upon them over the years they just keep repackaging them again and again and again. Make one set and just sell them for like 20 years... dumb af. Im much like others, I want to see shredder and triceraton. 

6 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

so you must live on Anti-toy Island because you say you can't find anything. *shrug*

Guess you must be able to see everything up there in Canada . . . except planet reality. The Turtles are being distributed the same as they always have. Every once in a while a set like the Frogs or Splinter & Baxter will hit relatively heavy, the rest of the time you're looking for golden tickets.

So do us both a favor your Lordship, look around and see what's what, before you deem to tell me what MY situation is.

• Thanks 1

These figure were decent for 2015 but as dated as they feel it's so far only mass market tmnt figures that have double jointed elbows, albeit they are not as nice looking like Neca or Super7. So overall I think this is right move on the part of Playmates since previous releases are pricey, but it's TMNT, you only really need one new mold and 4 different heads and accessories, they can do so much more be it all types of comic book look or 2003 cartoon redo, Yes Neca is doing great but their figures are super fragile and hard toget, while super7 is way too expensive for quality and articulation they provide despite having (imo) best sculpts. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mako said:

Guess you must be able to see everything up there in Canada . . . except planet reality. The Turtles are being distributed the same as they always have. Every once in a while a set like the Frogs or Splinter & Baxter will hit relatively heavy, the rest of the time you're looking for golden tickets.

So do us both a favor your Lordship, look around and see what's what, before you deem to tell me what MY situation is.

spacer.pngso worked up.

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 5/25/2021 at 12:24 PM, JayC said:
Shown below via the Australian retailer popcultcha we have our first look at two of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2-Packs coming from Playmates Toys we first told you about the other week.

These 2-packs appear to be re-releases of the 6" Classic TMNT figures Playmates released several years ago only now in more retro like packaging. Shown below are images for the 2-packs featuring Leonardo vs Rocksteady and Michelangelo vs Bebop.

We have yet to see images for the other two 2-packs that we previously reported on which includes Raphael vs Triceraton and Donatello vs Shredder. While the remaining Turtles all had 6" figures released previously from Playmates, Shredder and the Triceraton did not. There was a prototype for Shredder along with Krang in Android Body made for their 6 line but they were never released. It will be interesting to see if they finally release Shredder in one of these 2-packs and whether or not Triceraton is a totally new figure

We also await images for the TMNT vs Cobra Kai sets that appear to be coming from Playmates Toys. Those have been listed as follows:

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Donatello vs Johnny Lawrence
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Michelangelo vs Danny Larusso
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Leonardo vs Miguel
-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vs Cobra Kai 2-Pack: Raphael vs John Kreese

Check out images for the Leonardo vs Rocksteady and Michelangelo vs Bebop 2-packs below and we will update this story once we know or see more.

TMNT-2-pack-01.jpg

TMNT-2-pack-02.jpg

TMNT-2-pack-03.jpg

TMNT-2-pack-04.jpg

TMNT-2-pack-05.jpg

TMNT-2-pack-06.jpg

I may get these sets...

• 1 month later...

We first told you about how Playmates Toys was going to be re-issuing their original TMNT Turtle Party Wagon (Mutant Attack Van) back in May. Well now it's been listed on Walmart's website for $34.97. The vehicle isn't currently available for purchase, but you can select to be notified when it comes in stock.

Looks like they will also be offering re-issues of the original Turtle figures as well for $12.97 each.

TMNT Classic Basic Leo Figure

TMNT Classic Basic Raphael Figure

TMNT Classic Basic Mikey Figure

Donatello is the only Turtle figure I have not been able to currently find listed on the website.

• Thanks 1

So let me get this straight:
<P>
Mattel (yes, the famously inept, slow-to-change, "tone-deaf to their consumers" Mattel) can release MOTU Origins, essentially remakes of their toyline from 35 years ago, but with updated , fully poseable articulation, for $15 each.
<P>
Playmates, meanwhile, can rerelease (for, like, the 12th time or something like that) the EXACT SAME FIGURES YET AGAIN, with exactly ZERO updates . . . and justify charging $13 apiece.
<P>
. . . Sure, makes sense. *LOL*

• Thanks 1

On 7/12/2021 at 10:13 PM, Batman1701 said:

So let me get this straight:
<P>
Mattel (yes, the famously inept, slow-to-change, "tone-deaf to their consumers" Mattel) can release MOTU Origins, essentially remakes of their toyline from 35 years ago, but with updated , fully poseable articulation, for $15 each.
<P>
Playmates, meanwhile, can rerelease (for, like, the 12th time or something like that) the EXACT SAME FIGURES YET AGAIN, with exactly ZERO updates . . . and justify charging $13 apiece.
<P>
. . . Sure, makes sense. *LOL*

Yeah seriously these new or not even new renditions of the same old 80's figures look worse then ever, like the tools are finally giving out, they probably havn't gotten rid of the original tools from 1988, stop playmates stop, we don't want these musty knockoff looking re-runs, they probably would have gotten a better reception if they just called them teenar mootant karate tortooga figures.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like what was once old continues to be new again when it comes to the Playmates Toys TMNT line. Based on an overseas listing from The Falcon's Hanger, it looks like the original Playmates Toys TMNT Turtle Blimp will be re-issued in their Retro line. We've already seen re-issues of the basic Turtle figures as well as the original TMNT Party Van which here in the US were offered through Walmart. My guess that is where this one will end up being offered as well in the US. Thanks to Toybro for the heads up on this one.

TMNT-Retro-Collection-Blimp.jpg

• Thanks 1

Back in May we first told you how Playmates Toys was reissuing 4 TMNT Classic 6" 2-packs. The first two 2-pack featured Leonardo vs Rocksteady and Michelangelo vs Bebop. Those two actually went up for pre-order this weekend here in the US at Walmart and quickly sold out. Both these sets featured figures that had been previously released by Playmates on single cardbacks. The other two sets which featured Raphael vs Triceraton and Donatello vs Shredder. While the two Turtles in these sets have been released before, the Shredder and Triceraton had not. We originally saw a prototype for Shredder along with a Krang in Android body for the line but they were never released.

Well now via the overseas retailer The Falcon's Hanger we have our first official look at the remaining 2-packs and the complete Shredder as well as the Triceraton figure which we never knew about until this past May. Like the first two sets, I suspect these two will be offered at Walmart at some point here in the US.

Classic-Collection-Wave-2-01.jpg

Classic-Collection-Wave-2-02.jpg

Classic-Collection-Wave-2-03.jpg

Classic-Collection-Wave-2-04.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ooooooo-kaaaayyy . . . been waiting for pics of the new Shredder and . . . uh, Triceraton, I guess, for months now. Let's have a look.  Hmmmm.
<P>
. . . First impression? 
<P>
KID: I want NECA Triceraton and Shredder!<P>
MOM: We have NECA Triceraton and Shredder at home. *LOL*
<P>
Oh, and let's not overlook the awesome accessories for these figures, which are once again just direct reissues of the weapons from the figures that came out over 30 years ago.  Granted, the Triceraton weapons look crisp, they haven't been reissued seven thousand times, but Shredder?  Yeah, those molds need to be retired STAT.
<P>
That said . . . they . . . don't look BAD.  Just undersized and not as good as other pieces already on the market.
<P>
Then again . . . I DO wonder if Shredder will actually be in scale with the BST AXN TMNT figures ('cuz he should be at least an inch to an inch and a half taller than the Turtles, canonically).  Hmmm . . . worth picking one up.  Maybe.

• Thanks 1

Man that Shredder looks rough, look at that pea head, and strange upper torso swivel joint,that's a bad looking figure, that head really makes Dontatello looks like the Leader here 🙄, Tricetaton is actually pretty decent looking for being an ancient mold.

• Thanks 1