Deluxe 7" Mandarin Spawn Figure From McFarlane Toys Revealed

JayC

Looks like Mandarin Spawn is getting not only a standard blue and red version, but now a Deluxe figure as well.

The Scarlet Edge was a brutal and peerless Warrior from an ancient feudal society. He was master of combat in all forms, until his savage death in a war against an Army of the Undead. Enraged at his defeat, he returns to Earth to gain his revenge as Mandarin Spawn. Where he seeks to do battle ..and test his skills against the greatest Warriors this world can offer…

Features:
-Incredibly detailed 7” scale figure based off the Todd McFarlane’s Spawn Comic Series
-Designed with Ultra Articulation with up to 22 moving parts for full range of posing and play
-Featured in Spawn themed window boxed packaging
-This Mandarin Spawn has newly sculpted features such as head armor and accessories
-Mandarin Spawn comes with two swords, a lance, a double edged sword, a shield, a Mandarin Spawn Mini Poster, and a base

The figure is slated with a June 1 release date and has a price of $44.99. You can pre-order it now at Gamestop.

Spawn-Mandarin-Spawn-Deluxe-00.jpg

Spawn-Mandarin-Spawn-Deluxe-01.jpg

Spawn-Mandarin-Spawn-Deluxe-03.jpg

Spawn-Mandarin-Spawn-Deluxe-04.jpg

Spawn-Mandarin-Spawn-Deluxe-05.jpg

Spawn-Mandarin-Spawn-Deluxe-06.jpg

90047_06.jpg

90047_07.jpg

90047_08.jpg

90047_09.jpg

90047_10.jpg

Man I used to love the original mandarin spawn so much. I had 3 of them. I got more into articulated figures and ended up selling them off. Now that they are articulated better, I still dont seem to really care for them. This one especially I dont really like. The headsculpt design is just unappealing to me. I do like all his accessories but thats not enough to warrant a purchase. I saw the blue variant at walmart and also wasnt really feeling it. I wonder how Im going to feel about other remade classic spawn characters. 

I love the detail and paint deluxe figure has  but why drop it so close to regular release of Mandarin Spawn that already has two variants on it's own?  There's other countless Spawns that can be done as Deluxe release without cannibalizing sales of already released figures, they are literally making fans to decide between 3 versions, while if spaced out by some time fans would be more than likely to get additional Deluxe Mandarin Spawn. 

3 hours ago, SpiderS said:

There's other countless Spawns that can be done as Deluxe release without cannibalizing sales of already released figures,

I think Todd should do a more articulated version of his Commando Spawn Color Tops figure next. That figure had so much potential that was undermined by the lack of articulation.

Plus, I've noticed that this Mandarin Spawn has its left tusk unpainted and the mini poster doesn't match with the current figure, how can Todd screw that one up?

3 hours ago, chickenfeetrfun2eat said:

Plus, I've noticed that this Mandarin Spawn has its left tusk unpainted and the mini poster doesn't match with the current figure, how can Todd screw that one up?

The left tusk being unpainted may be a prototype error or something that hearkens back to Todd's affinity to asymmetrical designs (I didn't even notice there even were two tusks until I saw your comment). As for the mini poster, it's a print of the cover art for Spawn #165, which created an origin for the Mandarin Spawn character, and is based on (like pretty much exactly) the original figure from 1999. One can certainly make the argument that it's a bit of an odd choice for it not to match the figure in the box, but I don't think it qualifies as a "screw up."

14 minutes ago, Satam said:

One can certainly make the argument that it's a bit of an odd choice for it not to match the figure in the box, but I don't think it qualifies as a "screw up."

Yes, I think "screw up" is too strong for a term. It's just odd that the figure and the mini poster don't match up. Plus after doing a bit of research, the cover art of Spawn #165 doesn't also match the actual Mandarin Spawn who appears in that comic. So basically, this upcoming figure is based from the actual Mandarin Spawn in the comics. Regardless, I'm still interested in this figure.

1yWmnAMZi1oiXLthBURnYj8mOBEnsDATkynMIuYJ

Just a FYI, it wasnt really clearly stated before, but I have confirmed this Deluxe Mandarin Spawn is a Gamestop exclusive at least here in the US.

3 minutes ago, JayC said:

Just a FYI, it wasnt really clearly stated before, but I have confirmed this Deluxe Mandarin Spawn is a Gamestop exclusive at least here in the US.

It'll probably be a retail release in other countries which reminds me of that Walmart-exclusive Marvel Legends Thanos that was easily accessible in another country. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, Mr_Scary92 said:

Indeed, here in Mexico the blue Mandarin Spawn was available in the Bandai Collectors online store, Bandai America's affiliate is the McFarlane Toys distributor here, and the figure it's relatively easy to get, the thing is that the price of the figure is about $40 bucks.

$40? That's a bit pricey. The Gold Label version is easily accessible from where I'm from as well but a couple of stores are carrying the red variant more than the blue version. And considering that the variant seems to be more popular, it's a win-win for those who want their own Mandarin Spawn.