Universal Monsters Figures From NECA Official Announcement - Bela Lugosi as Dracula And More

JayC

While NECA has been teasing these figures for a few months now, and the Frankenstein figure is even available for pre-order now at places like our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com, today they released an official press release for their Universal Monsters line of figures.

U.S.-based National Entertainment Collectibles Association (NECA) has announced plans for its full line of Universal Monsters action figures. Working closely with Universal Brand Development, LUGOSI LLC, and Chaney Entertainment, the figures will capture the horror world’s most iconic figures in NECA’s long-running Ultimate format.

The first figure (arriving in July) will be Frankenstein’s Monster from Frankenstein (1931), which celebrates its 90th anniversary this year. The sculpt captures Boris Karloff’s poignant portrayal of the misunderstood monster in authentic black-and-white. A color version of the figure will follow.

Subsequent figures set for 2021 will include Lon Chaney Jr. as the Wolf Man from The Wolf Man (1941), Boris Karloff as the titular figure in The Mummy (1932), and Bela Lugosi as the legendary Count in Dracula (1931).

“We are proud to be working with NECA to include Bela Lugosi as Dracula as an Ultimate figure,” said Lynne Lugosi Sparks, CEO of LUGOSI LLC. “NECA’s attention to detail is amazing and we are happy to celebrate the 90th anniversary of Bela Lugosi’s iconic screen performance as Dracula with this figure.

NECA’s Ultimate format is a favorite among collectors for its complete portrayal of a character with a wide array of alternate heads, hands, and accessories so that many iconic moments from the movie can be recreated. The 5th-panel packaging also allows collectors to remove and replace without damaging the packaging.

“As a lifelong fan of Universal Monsters, this is a dream come true,” said Randy Falk, NECA VP & senior director of product development. “I’ve been collecting Universal Monsters toys since I was a kid. This line aims to create something hyper-realistic and ultra-detailed for people like me who grew up watching these amazing movies and have always longed for definitive versions.

Universal-Monsters-01.jpg

Universal-Monsters-02.jpg

Universal-Monsters-03.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr_Scary92 said:

Well, nothing new really. I'd really like to see that Lugosi Dracula now, but I'd also know if the awful quality issues we saw on the Defenders of the Earth figures will not be present with this line as well.

I see that NECA's QC never improved since I bought that Ultimate Ahab Predator figure that had a warped left elbow. This is the reason why I gave up on NECA 5 years ago due to their inconsistent quality of their figures, despite the interesting licenses they acquired. 

• Like 1

I am intrigued to see fish man! This is a very interesting property to obtain. Im curious how well it will sell. Im sure NECA will make some insanely good sculpts so we shall see. 

• 1 month later...

NECA today slipped out this image giving us our first look at their upcoming 7" Universal Monsters The Wolf Man figure which is based on the Lon Chaney Jr. 1941 movie. This will likely be the next figure in the line after Frankenstein and The Mummy. We also know a Bela Lugosi Dracula will be coming in the line as well. Stay-tuned for more details on this when they become available.

Wearwolf.jpg

• Like 1

I've already got the color version of Frankenstein and it's really good. I can see Chaney Jr in this and I'm really pleased with Necas Universal Monsters effort so far. I ll be getting all the color versions. Now about those Hammer figures...

That wolf man looks great and I love the swappable parts. I just really hope they do a black and white version so I can get one to go with the Frankenstein I have ordered.

• 3 months later...

For the 80th anniversary of Universal's horror film classic, NECA is excited to reveal The Wolf Man in Ultimate action figure form! Starring Lon Chaney Jr., 1941's The Wolf Man is critically acclaimed for Chaney's moving performance and the special effects. The sculpt captures the human and monster sides of this complicated character with interchangeable heads, hands, and lower legs, as well as black and white deco reflecting the look of the original film stock. The figure stands in 7” scale, features the authorized likeness of Lon Chaney Jr, and also includes wolf cane, animal trap and stand accessories. Display-friendly window box packaging with opening front flap. Coming in early 2022!

Wolfman-01.jpg

Wolfman-02.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the 80th anniversary of Universal's horror film classic, NECA is excited to reveal The Wolf Man (color) in Ultimate action figure form! Starring Lon Chaney Jr., 1941's The Wolf Man is critically acclaimed for Chaney's moving performance and the special effects. The sculpt captures the human and monster sides of this complicated character with interchangeable heads, hands, and lower legs. The figure stands in 7” scale, features the authorized likeness of Lon Chaney Jr, and also includes wolf cane, animal trap and stand accessories. Display-friendly window box packaging with opening front flap. Estimated Shipping: December 2021. You can pre-order this figure from our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

00-Packaging-Wolf-Man-00.jpg

00-Packaging-Wolf-Man-01.jpg

00-Packaging-Wolf-Man-02.jpg

00-Packaging-Wolf-Man-03.jpg

00-Packaging-Wolf-Man-04.jpg