First Look Image Of 'Captain Kathryn Janeway' In Paramount+ Animated Series 'Star Trek: Prodigy' Revealed

Outsiders

Paramount+ today released a first look image of Captain Kathryn Janeway in its upcoming all-new animated kids' series STAR TREK: PRODIGY. Kate Mulgrew ("Star Trek: Voyager") reprises her role as Janeway, who will serve as the STAR TREK: PRODIGY starship's built in emergency training hologram. The news was revealed by series executive producers Kevin and Dan Hageman during today's virtual global First Contact Day panels. The Hagemans also revealed that the series takes place in the year 2383, after the events of "Star Trek: Voyager," and in the Delta Quadrant. Developed and produced by Nickelodeon and CBS Studios, STAR TREK: PRODIGY will premiere on Paramount+ in the U.S. later this year.

The free First Contact Day virtual panels will be available to view on-demand on Paramount+'s YouTube Channel and on Paramount+ in the U.S., following their initial airing on StarTrek.com/FirstContact today from 12:00-2:45 PM, PT/3:00-5:45 PM, ET.

Developed by Emmy(R) Award-winners Kevin and Dan Hageman ("Trollhunters" and "Ninjago") the CG-animated series STAR TREK: PRODIGY is the first "Star Trek" series aimed at younger audiences and will follow a motley crew of young aliens who must figure out how to work together while navigating a greater galaxy, in search for a better future. These six young outcasts know nothing about the ship they have commandeered - a first in the history of the Star Trek Franchise - but over the course of their adventures together, they will each be introduced to Starfleet and the ideals it represents.

STAR TREK: PRODIGY is from CBS' Eye Animation Productions, CBS Studios' new animation arm; Nickelodeon Animation Studio, led by President of Animation, Ramsey Naito; Secret Hideout; and Roddenberry Entertainment. Alex Kurtzman, Heather Kadin, Katie Krentz, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth will serve as executive producers alongside co-showrunners Kevin and Dan Hageman. Ben Hibon will direct, co-executive produce and serve as the creative lead of the all-new animated series. Aaron Baiers will also serve as co-executive producer. Production of STAR TREK: PRODIGY is overseen for Nickelodeon by Claudia Spinelli, Senior Vice President, Animation Development and Kelley Gardner, Vice President, Current Series Animation.

Captain_Kathryn_Janeway_02.jpg

Star_Trek_Prodigy.jpg

Captain_Kathryn_Janeway_01.jpg

1: Wee bit of a Clone Wars vibe with how Janeway's model looks

2: Man does she look out of place amongst the other characters

3: Why is she still in the Voyager/early DS9 uniform when by the time she got back to the Alpha Quadrant they'd already long since switched to the DS9/Movies uniform?

2 hours ago, Jeddostotle7 said:

3: Why is she still in the Voyager/early DS9 uniform when by the time she got back to the Alpha Quadrant they'd already long since switched to the DS9/Movies uniform?

This was bugging me a bit, too. My guess is it's a familiarity thing from and for people who don't really care about canon and details and such. Save that kind of thing for Lower Decks. And pretty much nothing else.

ummmm

did you guys read the description at all? or comment before it was posted? 🧐

starship's built in emergency training hologram

apparently the only thing connecting this series to Star Trek is that a group of young aliens have starship-jacked a Starfleet vessel in the Delta quadrant

then somehow they figure they want to become like Starfleet officers?  🙄

I am still not liking this

I read the description. I read more than one article about this. And like I said, I thought it was weird that Starfleet would have a training hologram of Captain Janeway, presumably created after Voyager's return from the Delta quadrant, and give the Janeway hologram the older uniform she would have stopped wearing. But it's also a cartoon for children, who are generally not huge Trekkies, and would likely only have a passing familiarity with the character from seeing their parents watch Voyager, so Paramount likely gave her the old uniform so they can be sure the kiddos know who it is. I think the weirdest thing about this is giving a holographic avatar a cup of coffee.
I also read that the real Janeway might show up and....I lost interest. I'm not the target audience. I'm really sure I'm not supposed to be interested.