G.I. Joe Classified Major Bludd Coming To Target As An Exclusive?

JayC

I wonder if we weren't spoiled by Hasbro back in the Joe vs. Cobra days. I mean, against all odds the line was revived in a BIG WAY: saturated distribution, serious release schedule, animated movies, multiple TV series, non-toy merchandising, etc.: and all because of a relatively tiny group of highly motivated individuals off by themselves within Hasbro.

Unfortunately, the fan-boys aren't in charge anymore. Joe, at best, is just one franchise within a HUGE stable; at worst . . . Hasbro's red-headed step-child.

I keep telling myself once the movie hits they'll go hot and heavy to support it, I just can't be there for 'em until then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So if you missed it... and if you blinked its certainly possible. Hasbro today put up the Cobra Viper and Firefly on Pulse making it 1 per customer for Premium Members (those who paid Hasbro $50) both of which sold out in minutes.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DrLava said:

well hasbro doesnt have to pay another company for the right to make gi joe. they own the property. and marvel and star wars are also at the highest levels of popularity, have multiple movies and television series, i mean theyre both everywhere. gi joe has none of that. so you really cant compare them. the closest comparisons you could make would be power rangers or transformers since both are also hasbro house brands. 

Hasbro doesn't do this with Transformer's either. I see Transformers figures everywhere in plentiful quantities

• Thanks 1

Well, I held off selling my wave 1 and 2 figures in hopes Hasbro could pull this around.  I'd be plenty pissed if I were a premium member and missed out.  That in itself seems like a waste of money but if it can't even guarantee you first pickings what really is the point?!  I'm having enough trouble staying ahead of the local scalpers with the NECA stuff.  This line ain't worth the grief.  I like things I can actually find.  The thrill of the hunt doesn't do anything for me!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DrLava said:

what is it that theyre not doing though? i see gi joe classified everywhere too. people complain and are upset because two figures, baroness and viper, became impossible to find and became very valuable. and theyre 2 retailer exclusives at that.

this happens in almost every toy line though. i cant think of a single toyline where theres not 1-5 figures that skyrocketed in value and became difficult to find at retail. i dont collect transformers so i couldnt tell you which figures in that line, but i would be shocked if there hasnt been a transformers figure thats popular and was hard to find at retail.

LOL if you see GIJoe Classifed everywhere at big box store you must live in a special place. I agree the non-exclusive are easily obtainable if your willing to buy online but they are not readily available at places like Walmart and Target and half of the line is exclusives with more to come. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I got the Hasbro pulse subscription just for things like this. They didn’t send me an email saying it was on sale until after it was sold out. Who else wants their 50 bucks back? I already asked for a refund on the subscription. Others who missed out should too. I’m just about done with this hobby. It’s not worth the frustration. Just canceled my snake eyes wave too. I’m furious. And that usually doesn’t happen for me with little articulated plastic. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah I just saw the outrage that occurred from the Hasbro Pulse sneak stock of Firefly & Viper that sold out in less then an hour, people are going nuts about not being able to get it. I feel really bummed out for people and this line, it's really disheartening, so many collectors are in a frenzy. I have heard about 20 people today say they are quitting this line, this seems like a bad look for Hasbro, I feel as though it's about time they tried to fix these availability problems, they want all the money they can get, it's not like they pocket 50% of a scalpers profit on a 100$ figure, they need to get in front of this, imagine the maximum profit Hasbro could grab if they just saturated the market with these figures. I have said it before I stopped caring it was the best thing I could do for myself, if I can't find it for retail, then I guess I'm not getting it, simple and plain, I know a lot of people can't get with that idea but it helped me. I also got to say that I just adore for every 30 people saying this line is a disaster at retail there are 1-5 people that can't stop making sure everybody knows how easy it is for them to get these figures, look good for you somehow you won the Joe lotto, but when it's clearly a very real issue that majority of people can't find these figures, please stop talking about how you can, be sensitive, don't aggravate the fans left out even more.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, DrLava said:

i literally just came from target, they had 2 duke repaints, 2 roadblocks, and the gung ho thats been there forever. i was at walmart last week, 4 gung ho figures littered the pegs. i was in a comic store yesterday, all of wave one and a cobra commander. maybe its just where you live? i remember you saying target is a 40 minute drive for you, maybe more rural areas dont stock as much.

I don't know in what town you live but where around here there's not been GI Joe Classified Figures at stores for MONTHS... You should be the luckiest member in this forum that get the Classified figures right from the target 🎯 stores...

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Roadpigmaster said:

I don't know in what town you live but around here there's not been GI Joe Classified Figures at stores for MONTHS... You should be the luckiest member in this forum that get the Classified figures right from the target 🎯 stores...

2 minutes ago, DrLava said:

its not really lucky since amazon sells those same figures even cheaper than target does. bbts also has those same 3 figures at basically the same price as target.

if you cant get duke, roadblock, and gung ho for retail or less something is very wrong.

Well actually I'm not talking about the ones available at other retailers, I'm talking about the ones exclusive to Target Cobra whatever the name is... The one with Firefly, Viper and original Cobra Trooper... I still want to pick a Firefly and no luck yet...

I'm willing to bet that Hasbro Pulse didn't even have the Firefly or Vipers in stock and just threw those sell pages out there to draw some attention.  It's their sales pitch of saying that you missed out because you aren't a special club member and if you were than you still missed out because we only had 3 in stock and we put them on eBay...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Outsiders said:

I'm willing to bet that Hasbro Pulse didn't even have the Firefly or Vipers in stock and just threw those sell pages out there to draw some attention.  It's their sales pitch of saying that you missed out because you aren't a special club member and if you were than you still missed out because we only had 3 in stock and we put them on eBay...

I doubt they are doing that... At least they put one case to sell which is not enough for all the poor souls wanting those figures badly...

22 minutes ago, VladimirPupin said:

Wow.  You even cropped out the Fwoosh’s watermark in the bottom right corner of each of these screengrabs.  

How is

52 minutes ago, VladimirPupin said:

Why are you posting another site’s pictures and videos as if they’re your own without direct linking them instead?  That’s low.  Dirt low.

I posted it cause its news. How is it low? I credited them and embedded their video which means they get more views on their video which means they make more money. The news wasnt on Fwoosh it was on their YT channel and I didnt crop out their watermark I took screen caps from the video of the figure itself cause they hadnt posted any actual images. Thanks for the concern though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrLava said:

theres not 30 different people posting in this thread and not a single person except jay c stated they got firefly and viper and it didnt sound too easy for him. so i dont know what that comment referred to.

as for hasbro saturating the market to stop scalping, that would be up to the retailers. and no retailer is buying more of this line than they already do since the current inventory isnt selling. one figure from each wave sells. stores are not gonna buy more cases of figures that dont sell just for one figure that does. 

there is not a single toyline from any company that does not have the same problems of finding a desirable figure at retail pricing. 

I actually was referring to people on various media sites not just Toynesi, I.E Instagram, other forums I'm a member of etc, I probably should have mentioned that. I also wasn't directing the whole "all of those people who are finding these figures need to be more sensitive" thing at you, just in general, with the info being obtained from various sites. 

As for the retailers buying and stocking more, yes I think it's evident they should, the complaints are people can't find these figures, so why wouldn't they want to get more on the pegs for the people to purchase? it makes me feel like Hasbro/distrbutors isn't offering up more to the retailers, and they have an order cap, also how is it that these figures are not selling and there is left over stock when nobody can find them, not getting that. The whole line sells, yes some more then others but I have never seen a Joe figure in a store before, and I have heard many say the same, infact they are in this thread saying they can't find figures, and yes Amazon has some figures for retail price, but in Canada not until recently actually, but people are talking about brick and mortar here not online etailers.

• Thanks 3

36 minutes ago, JayC said:

How is

I posted it cause its news. How is it low? I credited them and embedded their video which means they get more views on their video which means they make more money. The news wasnt on Fwoosh it was on their YT channel and I didnt crop out their watermark I took screen caps from the video of the figure itself cause they hadnt posted any actual images. Thanks for the concern though.

Every frame of their video has “Fwoosh” in the bottom right corner.  I’m looking at it right now. You’ve clipped the bottom tenth off of your screen grabs, removing their watermark.

Giving them credit while posting your screengrabs of their video doesn’t send views their way.  It curtails it.  You posted pics of their content on your site so now visitors don’t have to click on the video to see the figure.

None of this was your content to post.

1 minute ago, VladimirPupin said:

Every frame of their video has “Fwoosh” in the bottom right corner.  I’m looking at it right now. You’ve clipped the bottom tenth off of your screen grabs, removing their watermark.

Giving them credit while posting your screengrabs of their video doesn’t send views their way.  It curtails it.  You posted pics of their content on your site so now visitors don’t have to click on the video to see the figure.

None of this was your content to post.

I screen capped the figure. Its obviously from Robo at Fwoosh and it clearly states as such. The video is there clearly for people to watch if they want. However if Robo has an issue with me posting it, he knows how to contact me and if he were to ask me to remove images or such I would certainly respect his wishes. I assume Robo's main concern is helping inform as many people in the hobby as possible, but again if he had an issue he knows how to reach me and  I don't think he needs you who seems clearly here simply to troll to be his defender. But again thanks for your concern.

• Thanks 1

As much as I hate to kvetch, as a long time fan of Joe I am very frustrated by this latest rendition of the figures. They're cool. I like the designs. I like the scale. The lack of availability of figures I want is silly. I want to buy that Firefly and it is not available. I want the Baroness but I'm not paying hundreds of dollars to scalpers. Hopefully Hasbro figures out to get supply to meet the demand.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, DrLava said:

lol you are aware that hasbro isnt some mom & pop operation correct? there is no way that hasbro the company is reselling their own figures on ebay. 

3 hours ago, Roadpigmaster said:

I doubt they are doing that... At least they put one case to sell which is not enough for all the poor souls wanting those figures badly...

I'll believe that Hasbro isn't selling off their own figures on eBay when I read from one person who was able to login to Hasbro Pulse and buy a Firefly or Viper... 😉

I just don't understand why Hasbro can't put these figures online for a week as a pre-order.  I think there is enough demand from collectors.  Then produce them 6 months later (or whatever the time frame is from start to finish).  Similar to the Hasbro Pulse Marvel Legends army builders they have done in the past...

46 minutes ago, DrewK said:

I just don't understand why Hasbro can't put these figures online for a week as a pre-order.  I think there is enough demand from collectors.  Then produce them 6 months later (or whatever the time frame is from start to finish).  Similar to the Hasbro Pulse Marvel Legends army builders they have done in the past...

The figures in question are Target exclusives. Generally retailers pay to have those exclusives and they do so to be the only ones to sell them. I doubt Target is to keen on anyone else selling them including Hasbro. Now we have seen in a few cases like with NECA and their TMNT figures renegotiate their exclusive deal to be able to sell some of the exclusives themselves directly. We don't know exactly how they pulled that off. Sometimes exclusives dont sell well so then the exclusive ends up going elsewhere (though I am not saying that applies to the TMNT stuff).

I don't know what Hasbro did to be able to sell the Viper and Firefly today, but they obviously had so few that it wasn't really doing anyone but perhaps themselves any favors. Today seemed nothing more than to try and entice people to join their Premium service, but you would think they would have realized the optics of that would clearly not be so good.

Maybe they will have more but if they can't put enough on there so anyone (Premium and non-Premium) people who want them can get them then I would say they shouldn't even bother.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, DrLava said:

but why would they sell these on ebay? it makes no sense at all from any kind of thinking. they are a huge billion dollar company. this isnt boss logic or creative beast studio. its hasbro.

so selling firefly through pulse nets them $70 per figure ($50 subscription + $20 for figure). on ebay they'd be lucky to get $50 and they have to pay ebay their fees as well. they own the product, if they wanted more per figure they can easily charge more. they could pack both firefly and viper together in one pack, call it a con exclusive, and charge $150. and people would buy it. 

i get youre a huge fan of the franchise and all, so i kinda hate to have break this to you. gi joe action figures are not the flagship product of the company. they make more money selling magic cards than from joe toys. its not a conspiracy to prevent you buying a toy. its that they make so much more money from other properties that this line is an afterthought. be thankful that somebody working in target home office is a fan too and made this deal with hasbro. or would you prefer these figures you want just werent released at all?

I'm kinda loosing track of who is trying to make what point so if these arent from you forgive me.

No I don't think Hasbro is selling figures on ebay. 

You are likely correct, GIJoe out of all the major action figure brands Hasbro makes figures for is probably one of their weakest sellers. Hasbro has seemingly failed time and time again to come up with some kind of entertainment brand to back up the toys that really appeals to kids since the 80s. 

Big Box Retailers are probably not very keen on carrying GIJoe overall and likely only carrying them now because of the Snake-Eyes movie which then got delayed which I am sure caused all kinds of problems.

Sadly IMO the small retailers can't carry the line alone without the Big Box Retailers enough to make it worthwhile for Hasbro to do them.

The only saving grace GIJoe toys have of lasting much past the Snake-Eyes movie IMO is the live-action Lady Jaye GIJoe series coming to Amazon, and we will have to see how long that lasts.

Yes after a year since the line started, a few of the first wave regular figures like Scarlett and Roadblock have started to sit on shelves after the wave 1 was re-released. But the regular figures have never truly been that hard to get if your willing to buy online. Anyone who was really into this line I am guessing long already got the first wave, so saying you saw a few of the weakest figures in the line on shelves isn't saying much.

The only figures truly hard to get are the Target exclusives but unfortunately there are almost as many of them as there are regular releases and often include the cooler characters and army builders that are not found with the regular releases which is why so many are frustrated and have or about to walk away from the line.

Is everything that happened with this line truly all Hasbro's fault? IMO No. The state of the overall industry and the grip Walmart and Target have on the industry since the fall of TRU does play a role as well.

Should Hasbro be trying to charge people $50 for a premium access to their website in order to give people a "so called" better chance at being able to buy their products? IMO No. If Hasbro can possibly negotiate with Target to be able to sell the exclusives on their website then they should do so in a manner that allows them to sell them to everyone who wants them similar to what NECA has done with their TMNT. If they can't do that then again IMO they shouldn't bother putting a small handful on there.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1