G.I. Joe Classified Major Bludd Coming To Target As An Exclusive?

JayC

16 hours ago, wundarwarrior said:

I don't see why there is any reason to be mad about Hasbro offering these on Pulse. If you collect any hasbro line its worth the $50 as you get free shipping and EARLY access to figures. I still don't have the Target Baroness, Trooper, or Beachhead and I waited because I assumed Hasbro will make it right. And it appears the MAY do just that. I was lucky enough to get a Viper and Firefly off Pulse. And it was limited to 1 per customer as I tried getting 2 Vipers. 

I just wish people would relax. This is more a Target issue and I truly believe Hasbro is trying to fix it. Hell I just had the same issue getting the MOTU Origins 2 pack. Target had it in stock but REFUSED to sell it to me until they reset the aisle. Not a street date issue, they just didn't want to sell it to me. Target blows. 

Lets set aside a moment that based on the Viper and Firefly that sold out in 3 mins so that even most premium members didnt get one, you can't understand how ridiculous it is for a company to ask people to pay additional money for the privilege of possibly having a little easier time of being able to buy their stuff??? If you really think paying them $50 for free shipping is worth it knock yourself out, however there plenty of places that offer free shipping these days if you buy a certain amount or very cheap shipping like BBTS's $4 flat rate shipping. But this idea of taking things that are hard to get and then saying hey we think your so desperate to buy our stuff we are going to have you pay us $50 is just flat out ridiculous. If Hasbro can convince Target to allow them to sell the Cobra Island figures on their own website and carry them in numbers that has a remote chance of filling demand for everyone who wants one, that is one thing, but thats not what we have seen so far and we have know reason to believe at this time that is what will happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, wundarwarrior said:

I'm speaking specifically to the Target exclusives, as all the other figures can be had by simply ordering them from Pulse, BBTS, or anywhere else. The main line is not unattainable. 

Oh, I see your mistake. I do my toy shopping in a little town I like to call Reality. You may have heard of it, it's the place where if you CAN find them on those sites Classifieds are either marked up to a point where it's no longer worth it, OR they sell out in five minutes.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, JayC said:

Lets set aside a moment that based on the Viper and Firefly that sold out in 3 mins so that even most premium members didnt get one, you can't understand how ridiculous it is for a company to ask people to pay additional money for the privilege of possibly having a little easier time of being able to buy their stuff??? If you really think paying them $50 for free shipping is worth it knock yourself out, however there plenty of places that offer free shipping these days if you buy a certain amount or very cheap shipping like BBTS's $4 flat rate shipping. But this idea of taking things that are hard to get and then saying hey we think your so desperate to buy our stuff we are going to have you pay us $50 is just flat out ridiculous. If Hasbro can convince Target to allow them to sell the Cobra Island figures on their own website and carry them in numbers that has a remote chance of filling demand for everyone who wants one, that is one thing, but thats not what we have seen so far and we have know reason to believe at this time that is what will happen.

6 hours ago, mako said:

Oh, I see your mistake. I do my toy shopping in a little town I like to call Reality. You may have heard of it, it's the place where if you CAN find them on those sites Classifieds are either marked up to a point where it's no longer worth it, OR they sell out in five minutes.

If you value your time at all, $50 is nothing. 12 orders shipped on BBTS is $48. Unless you're just letting your stuff build up for long periods of time, you will end up spending far more in shipping by ordering thru them. I don't know any other sites that offer free shipping on orders for less than $30, which Pulse does if you just pay the membership fee. Also, the figures on Pulse are not up charged at all. So I'm not sure where this complaint is coming from. All the new hasbro figures have increased to $22/23 from my understanding. I refuse to support scalpers for Joes. I will not pay higher prices because these are toys, and toys should be fun, not stressful. Finally, if $50 is too much to pay to have the piece of mind to get figures, plus additional perks, then maybe this hobby isn't for you. Do you not realize gas and wear and tear on your vehicle is an expense? I guess I can't see where you're coming from.

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2021 at 5:07 PM, wundarwarrior said:

I guess I can't see where you're coming from.

I'm sorry to hear that. I'm speaking English, using relatively small words, I don't know what more help I can give you. Maybe some Muppets with flash cards?

Most of Pulse's Joes are sold out (that means they don't have any more). BBTS charges a mark up (that means they add extra money to the price), on top of tax and shipping.

That's where I'm coming from Charlie Brown.

14 hours ago, wundarwarrior said:

If you value your time at all, $50 is nothing. 12 orders shipped on BBTS is $48. Unless you're just letting your stuff build up for long periods of time, you will end up spending far more in shipping by ordering thru them. I don't know any other sites that offer free shipping on orders for less than $30, which Pulse does if you just pay the membership fee. Also, the figures on Pulse are not up charged at all. So I'm not sure where this complaint is coming from. All the new hasbro figures have increased to $22/23 from my understanding. I refuse to support scalpers for Joes. I will not pay higher prices because these are toys, and toys should be fun, not stressful. Finally, if $50 is too much to pay to have the piece of mind to get figures, plus additional perks, then maybe this hobby isn't for you. Do you not realize gas and wear and tear on your vehicle is an expense? I guess I can't see where you're coming from.

I do value my time, but instead of saying to a company hey I am so desperate to buy your stuff I will pay you an additional $50 for you to give me a slightly better chance of buying your product my message is, if you can't or won't make these easily available then I am perfectly fine walking away.

IDK if you've noticed but an all to common practice in this industry has become what is called "Scarcity Marketing".  This is a marketing tactic that capitalizes on a customer's fear of missing out on something. It's based on the psychological principle that people want what is difficult to acquire.  If its gotten to a point where you feel you have to pay an extra $50 to get an action figure then I hate to break it to you but you have fallen prey to this tactic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Canes05 said:

Hasbro re released it today 

150F39D7-375E-4BE3-B64A-A6EC6DB3642B.png

When I saw the email ✉️, I went to the website to check for the blue 🔵 Cobra Commander but showed as SOLD OUT... I already have the black version...

On 5/6/2021 at 7:11 AM, JayC said:

I do value my time, but instead of saying to a company hey I am so desperate to buy your stuff I will pay you an additional $50 for you to give me a slightly better chance of buying your product my message is, if you can't or won't make these easily available then I am perfectly fine walking away.

IDK if you've noticed but an all to common practice in this industry has become what is called "Scarcity Marketing".  This is a marketing tactic that capitalizes on a customer's fear of missing out on something. It's based on the psychological principle that people want what is difficult to acquire.  If its gotten to a point where you feel you have to pay an extra $50 to get an action figure then I hate to break it to you but you have fallen prey to this tactic.

THANK YOU!!! That's all I've been trying to say.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 11:51 AM, mako said:

Yeah, ah no on this one. $2 extra bucks isn't some huge mark up and you can easily order them if you pre-order including army builders to your hearts content. And its not like those small guys are marking the figures up to rip you off. Other than the Target exclusives there has been nothing in this line that hard to get.

The days of going into these big box stores and easily finding stuff is over, and those days aren't coming back no matter how much people complain, especially with a line like GIJoe.  The reality is when you try and buy non-exclusives from places like Target and Walmart your just making it worse. The problem here is Targets and Walmarts essentially have a monopoly on the industry so the more you buy from them the more your helping those places tighten that grip on the industry.

Its like scalpers. People want to complain all day about them but then many collectors aren't willing to quit buying from them because they aren't willing to do without or be patient and wait. If people quit buying from scalpers, the scalper problem would be over in no time.

Same thing here. People want to complain about Target and Walmart exclusives but then the first place people run to in order to try and buy non exclusives are Target and Walmart.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, mako said:

It's real easy to laugh off a couple bucks when you get comp toys in exchange for low-rent reviews.

I don't get comp toys so nice try, and no one is laughing off $2. But if $2 is the deal breaker for you then you might as well find something else to collect. Thats just the reality. Again those small guys arent charging $2 to gouge you, they are doing it to survive. But as I say the days of the big box retailers stocking their shelves with the products you want in high numbers isnt going to happen. So you can waste your time and gas driving store to store daily hoping to find the stuff there and save that $2 or not.

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2021 at 8:25 AM, JayC said:

Yeah, ah no on this one. $2 extra bucks isn't some huge mark up and you can easily order them if you pre-order including army builders to your hearts content. And its not like those small guys are marking the figures up to rip you off. Other than the Target exclusives there has been nothing in this line that hard to get.

The days of going into these big box stores and easily finding stuff is over, and those days aren't coming back no matter how much people complain, especially with a line like GIJoe.  The reality is when you try and buy non-exclusives from places like Target and Walmart your just making it worse. The problem here is Targets and Walmarts essentially have a monopoly on the industry so the more you buy from them the more your helping those places tighten that grip on the industry.

Its like scalpers. People want to complain all day about them but then many collectors aren't willing to quit buying from them because they aren't willing to do without or be patient and wait. If people quit buying from scalpers, the scalper problem would be over in no time.

Same thing here. People want to complain about Target and Walmart exclusives but then the first place people run to in order to try and buy non exclusives are Target and Walmart.

Retroblasting just did  a youtube video commenting on this:  lack of availability of store exclusives and even non-exclusives.  The problem goes way, way beyond just GI Joe Classified and Hasbro.  You also offer a similar solution:  Stop buying non-exclusives from big box retail, and I'm thinking I may start going that rout.  There's a reason why Star Wars, Marvel, He-Man, GI Joe pegs are constantly empty.  There's a reason why they get one case of something like Retro Mandalorian figures and never restock.  They're running a racket with these adult collectibles, so much so that I'd rather buy from a site that caters to the collectors, that sets limits on popular stuff to ensure everyone gets one.  I mean look no farther than BBTS.  They have Cobra Trooper in stock ready to ship right now and the stock is sufficient enough that it's been that way for several days....they ordered enough to meet demand.  Why don't I wait for standard issure Major Bludd and get him from them?  You are right, the old days and ways of toy buying are gone.  We are never going to walk into a Target or Walmart and see things fully stocked and readily available.  We can still get MOST of the stuff we want with minimal fuss, we just have to adapt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, yojoebro82 said:

Retroblasting just did  a youtube video commenting on this:  lack of availability of store exclusives and even non-exclusives.  The problem goes way, way beyond just GI Joe Classified and Hasbro.  You also offer a similar solution:  Stop buying non-exclusives from big box retail, and I'm thinking I may start going that rout.  There's a reason why Star Wars, Marvel, He-Man, GI Joe pegs are constantly empty.  There's a reason why they get one case of something like Retro Mandalorian figures and never restock.  They're running a racket with these adult collectibles, so much so that I'd rather buy from a site that caters to the collectors, that sets limits on popular stuff to ensure everyone gets one.  And you are right, the old days and ways of toy buying are gone.  We are never going to walk into a Target or Walmart and see things fully stocked and readily available.  We can still get MOST of the stuff we want with minimal fuss, we just have to adapt.

I've said it before and will repeat it, and I don't know who thinks its a good idea, the big box retailer or the manufacture, but in the end it doesnt matter because it keeps happening. Scarcity marketing is a real thing. It's a tactic that capitalizes on a customer's fear of missing out on something. It's based on the psychological principle that people want what is difficult to acquire. I guarantee much of this stuff would just sit on shelves if it was deemed "easy to get".  If Target and Walmart carried the GIJoe Classified figures in any real numbers they would likely sit there much like those Plasma Ghostbusters figures do. Thats why they do it because they want to create this craze that you gotta have it and if you see it on shelf you better grab it or you will never see it again.

The only way this tactic will stop is if people quit falling for it. I don't think thats gonna happen. Its the same thing with the scalper problem. If people just quit buying from scalpers, the scalper problem would end pretty quickly.

It is a vicious cycle, but expecting those who benefit from it to stop it is crazy. It's up to you all to step out of the cycle and hope enough people follow suit for there to ever be a chance of ending it. I won't hold my breath but that is the reality as I see it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JayC said:

I've said it before and will repeat it, and I don't know who thinks its a good idea, the big box retailer or the manufacture, but in the end it doesnt matter because it keeps happening. Scarcity marketing is a real thing. It's a tactic that capitalizes on a customer's fear of missing out on something. It's based on the psychological principle that people want what is difficult to acquire. I guarantee much of this stuff would just sit on shelves if it was deemed "easy to get".  If Target and Walmart carried the GIJoe Classified figures in any real numbers they would likely sit there much like those Plasma Ghostbusters figures do. Thats why they do it because they want to create this craze that you gotta have it and if you see it on shelf you better grab it or you will never see it again.

The only way this tactic will stop is if people quit falling for it. I don't think thats gonna happen. Its the same thing with the scalper problem. If people just quit buying from scalpers, the scalper problem would end pretty quickly.

It is a vicious cycle, but expecting those who benefit from it to stop it is crazy. It's up to you all to step out of the cycle and hope enough people follow suit for there to ever be a chance of ending it. I won't hold my breath but that is the reality as I see it.

It's why I can't watch these live panels where company reps take questions from the fans.  Inevitably someone asks, "How come these figures aren't available to buy in stores?", and they'll say, "We are aware of the problem and we are working on making it right" or some such comment.  Yeah, no thanks.  I'll take a pass on being lied to directly.  These big corporations do not allow problems to just go on in perpetuity, they fix them in short order.  There is no "problem" on their end.  Things are operating exactly as they want, both on the toy companies end and the retailer's  If either of them were coming up short, there would be no issue, the problem would have been fixed long ago.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, yojoebro82 said:

"We are aware of the problem and we are working on making it right" or some such comment.

It's been almost a year since the line was released and people still have this distribution problem that Hasbro has failed to address. And it's going to stay that way unless people develop actual self worth and stop catering to scalpers and such.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, chickenfeetrfun2eat said:

It's been almost a year since the line was released and people still have this distribution problem that Hasbro has failed to address. And it's going to stay that way unless people develop actual self worth and stop catering to scalpers and such.

See, that's what I can't figure. By putting the least amount of effort possible into the line, Hasbro is not only allowing unscrupulous third parties (Etailers, scalpers, etc.) to profit from THEIR work, but they're also poisoning their own well. The more trouble we have finding the figures, the more bad-will is built up. Wanna know what that does to a line? Check out the numbers on the various Star Wars lines.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, mako said:

Wanna know what that does to a line? Check out the numbers on the various Star Wars lines.

From my shopping experience on Hasbro's 6" toy lines, the least frustration I had was Marvel Legends. The more interesting figures from Star Wars Black Series were hard to find too but at least some are still visible on some physical stores if you're lucky.

G.I. Joe? I see nothing. No Duke, no Cobra Commander, nothing. Hell, I was lucky to find some shelves of Power Rangers Lightning Collection toys even though I'm not interested in it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chickenfeetrfun2eat said:

From my shopping experience on Hasbro's 6" toy lines, the least frustration I had was Marvel Legends.

Even that isn't great. Sure, there are always peg-warmers, but the current Shang-Chi wave is the first time in quite a while I've been able to consistently find a Marvel line. Of course, that's only because it's pushing a movie. Once the next non-movie wave hits, forget it.

• Thanks 1

Snagged Lady Jaye and Cobra Commander from my local Walmart last night. Guess Hasbro finally realized they have a major motion picture coming, and decided to get to work building up some of that consumer good will.

Whatever, I got my big want.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Belmont13 said:

So from what I have seen in social media, this figure is being found in some Target locations and it's apparently not street dated. It also looks like Targets are getting a case of 6. 

Yep a few stores have started to get them and right now at least no street date is on it. That of course could change and most stores are likely going to get him in closer to the 19th. So far I've seen reports of Arizona and NY stores getting it.

• Thanks 1