Holy 6" Retro 66 Batman Figures From McFarlane Toys

JayC

2 hours ago, JayC said:

Doh, never mind. Just saw their most recent social media post where they said it was a Target exclusive.

Exclusive Invisible Figure yesterday, Target Exclusivity Wave today, at this rate I feel like Todd is going to somehow royally F$#% up tomorrow too.

(pic of Medi Kickstarter piece shared from a facebook user that clipped the image from a recent Todd Youtube Interview)

Medieval Spawn shoulder pad.jpg

Putting aside likeness issues and Batman's giant belt/underwear that makes him look like he's wearing a diaper... There are some really odd just blatantly wrong things on these. Like how do they screw up Robin's cape?

This isn't some comic or short lived thing where you can kinda get stuff wrong. There is tons of reference material on this. Very odd.

Some other interesting reveals here. These figures can't do the the splits at all. There appears to be no joint for this. Legs can forward and back and that is it. Disappointing for a figure at this size. The Batmobile is much better proportioned ( although not to the figure size) than the Mattel version. Guessing if the doors opened, Todd would have shown this in the pics.  If this were were from another manufacturer, I would have said that these are cost saving decisions but since it is from McFarlane, he typical just does what he wants and perhaps they are design decisions. Not good ones in my view.  Someone mentioned bent pipes on the car: amen, WTF. Somene else mention the oversized belt and diaper look on Batman. Well that IS what it looked like in the old show so that is spot on. Capes still suck on these.

2 hours ago, Spack said:

Disappointing for a figure at this size. The Batmobile is much better proportioned ( although not to the figure size) than the Mattel version.

The Mattel Batmobile was excellently proportioned. Have you seen the Futura Batmobile in person? It's longer than you'd think.

30 minutes ago, Satam said:

The Mattel Batmobile was excellently proportioned. Have you seen the Futura Batmobile in person? It's longer than you'd think.

Have I?! 

I appeared as Batman at events with the ‘66 Batmobile designer George Barris a few times and in 2007, he allowed my son and I to have a private photo-op in his shop with THE #1 screen-used car!!!…

…and, you’re right, it’s LOOOONG!!! 

4EBECAD5-6CF4-4112-9B09-604FEE578046.jpeg

2B582A22-2D7E-41CC-9604-341689CAA0B3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

If they are a Target Exclusive in the U.S., I wonder if in Canada, if it will be a wide release, or if it's a Store Exclusive, which one, as it will either be Wal-mart Canada, Toys R Us Canada, Amazon.ca, or EB Games, as the only ones I can think of, since they are the main ones in Canada.

Judging from the pics, I think the Mattel version of the 1960's T.V. Batmobile is better in regards to proportions/length to the figures, when compare to the McFarlane one.  I mean, their heads are over the front windows.  The McFarlane one seems a bit smaller, something that seemed similar to Mego 8" figures back around the 1960's-1970's, when their Batmobile for 8" figures seemed a bit small as well(Though to be fair, at that timeframe, everyone was probably just grateful for a Batmobile for their 8" Mego figures, even if the scale look off).  Still, at least they were able to release it at a decent and cheaper price than Mattel(Regardless of what fees Mattel had to pay WB, Fox, and Barris Customs at the time).

The figures continue to look fine, especially the stuff like the "POW" Bubbles.  Though I have to wonder how they screw up Robin's cape too.  The end of the cape is suppose to be straight like how it was in the comics at the time, not a jagged "Bat" like similar to how Robin costumes are sometimes in modern comics(I'm guessing sometime since around or after 2005).

Batcave looks neat, and features pretty much all the main stuff required and shown in the show.  Maybe the only thing missing is the Batpoles section, but other than that, seems more or less complete with the "Everyday" things we saw in the show(Not counting any equipment or machines that were only featured in 1 episode, like the device from Season 3 which turn the Teriffic Trio from flat cardboard  back into 3D normal selves).

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Satam said:

I have sat in one at an auction. But it is quite obvious that mattel had expanded the seating compartment  length from front to back to accommodate the figures. It is very noticeable in the distance between the front bubble frame to the back one.  In my opinion this throws the look of the whole car way off.  (Granted, this just a toy and I am knitpicking but we ARE talkling about a comparison here which is inevitable.) McFarlane got this right and his looks more replica than toyish. Unfortunately he sacrificed a proper fit for the figures by not making the car a little bigger. Plus his window frames are not as garishly thick as Mattel's which further enhances the disproportion. I am wondering if the Mattel figures will look better with this car.

18 minutes ago, Spack said:

I have sat in one at an auction. But it is quite obvious that mattel had expanded the seating compartment  length from front to back to accommodate the figures. It is very noticeable in the distance between the front bubble frame to the back one.  In my opinion this throws the look of the whole car way off.  (Granted, this just a toy and I am knitpicking but we ARE talkling about a comparison here which is inevitable.) McFarlane got this right and his looks more replica than toyish. Unfortunately he sacrificed a proper fit for the figures by not making the car a little bigger. Plus his window frames are not as garishly thick as Mattel's which further enhances the disproportion. I am wondering if the Mattel figures will look better with this car.

You may be right about the passenger compartment, but the front and rear ends are significantly too short on Todd's Batmobile.

46 minutes ago, Spack said:

Depending on which/whose car (replica?) you sat in, the interiors can vary quite a bit depending on what the base car is.  I’ve sat in over 10 replicas and some are downright crammed!  Most replicas used a Lincoln Towncar but some newer ones use a stretched-frame Corvette base.

After sitting in THE #1 car in Barris’ shop, I can tell you that it had PLENTY of leg room!…and shoulder space!  Remember, this was a hand-build concept “car of the future” in 1955!…and it had a center canopy that cleared the occupant’s heads and raised up on hinges on the back canopy!

Also, Mattel did a detailed scan of the # 1 car in Barris’ shop back in 2005/2006, which led to the most accurately proportioned (Hot Wheels) toy car replicas ever!  These same scans were more than likely used for the 1:12 plastic car, which is why it seems so roomy!

McFarlane would NOT have had access to those scans so he would have done what all the manufacturers going back to Corgi in 1966 did…make their own (inaccurate) body sculpts! 

47096258-5328-4EE3-85B2-816A3F529AE8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm I really like the sculpt on this Batman way better than Mattel and even Neca, I know that Neca was more accurate but McFarlane gave figures that superhero type look, my issue is lack of articulation, no ball joint in torso and most importantly just swivel legs seem really lame for this era. I don’t think that having simple ball jointed legs would cost that much more for them.  

• Thanks 1

I guess this is Todd’s take on “retro figures”…meaning an inch smaller and much less articulation than on his DC Multiverse versions.

If he makes ‘89/‘92 (Keaton) Batman figures, I suppose they will be the same 6” scale and have the same limited articulation as the ‘66 West ones do.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, A_Spidey_Fan said:

If they are a Target Exclusive in the U.S., I wonder if in Canada, if it will be a wide release, or if it's a Store Exclusive, which one, as it will either be Wal-mart Canada, Toys R Us Canada, Amazon.ca, or EB Games, as the only ones I can think of, since they are the main ones in Canada.

Judging from the pics, I think the Mattel version of the 1960's T.V. Batmobile is better in regards to proportions/length to the figures, when compare to the McFarlane one.  I mean, their heads are over the front windows.  The McFarlane one seems a bit smaller, something that seemed similar to Mego 8" figures back around the 1960's-1970's, when their Batmobile for 8" figures seemed a bit small as well(Though to be fair, at that timeframe, everyone was probably just grateful for a Batmobile for their 8" Mego figures, even if the scale look off).  Still, at least they were able to release it at a decent and cheaper price than Mattel(Regardless of what fees Mattel had to pay WB, Fox, and Barris Customs at the time).

The figures continue to look fine, especially the stuff like the "POW" Bubbles.  Though I have to wonder how they screw up Robin's cape too.  The end of the cape is suppose to be straight like how it was in the comics at the time, not a jagged "Bat" like similar to how Robin costumes are sometimes in modern comics(I'm guessing sometime since around or after 2005).

Batcave looks neat, and features pretty much all the main stuff required and shown in the show.  Maybe the only thing missing is the Batpoles section, but other than that, seems more or less complete with the "Everyday" things we saw in the show(Not counting any equipment or machines that were only featured in 1 episode, like the device from Season 3 which turn the Teriffic Trio from flat cardboard  back into 3D normal selves).

I agree with what you said in regard the the car being better proportioned with the figures. I was comparing the proportions of the car to itself.

• Thanks 1

That Batmobile and Bat cave set is a little too small. I don't think Batman and robin's heads should stick out past the windshield. It's great that he's able to sell these at "fairly cheap" price but I'd pay a few bucks more to make it scale better.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, MauledVader said:

If he makes ‘89/‘92 (Keaton) Batman figures, I suppose they will be the same 6” scale and have the same limited articulation as the ‘66 West ones do.

Yeah, I'm really afraid of that.

8 hours ago, MRT said:

That Batmobile and Bat cave set is a little too small. I don't think Batman and robin's heads should stick out past the windshield. It's great that he's able to sell these at "fairly cheap" price but I'd pay a few bucks more to make it scale better.

Totally agree.

• Like 1

The Mattel 1966 Batmobile was huge and I see no reason to get this esp. given it's so small. The Batcave is worth getting if you have the Batcave Playset from the Mattel series, plus you get that unmasked head. And, of course those figures actually look like the characters. I'm not sure what they smoked the day the Burt Ward head was sculpted and/or approved. Either they suck or they didn't pay for the likeness rights. I can only speculate that they aren't paying for likeness rights because there have been too many of these IRL actor heads that look generic. Hasbro doesn't seem to have this problem with their Star Wars likeness in any scale, and the same for MCU figures (for the most part). I might pick up the Joker and any other villains that have those wacky 1966 Batman The Movie heads, since I don't think they had those in the previous line, so that'll give us an alternate head for him/them, and I can't recall if we got an unmasked Robin or not, but there's that.....I guess. I wonder if the sculpt is there but we're getting Force Awakens paint jobs and it's getting lost in terrible paint?

So we start out with Batman, Robin, Joker, & Riddler. Wonder if Catwoman & Penguin will follow to round out the main villains. Would love to see Mr. Freeze, Mad Hatter, Egghead, King Tut, & Bookworm in there as well. I guess that's too much to ask for.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The new 6" Retro 66 Batman TV Series Products from McFarlane Toys will be going up for pre-order on Target's website today (7/12) at 9am ET. These products are being sold at Target store exclusives here in the US.

The first wave of figures each of which will cost $18 each includes Batman, Robin and Joker. They also will have the Batmobile vehicle and Batcave playset which will each cost $30.

Batman-Classic.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1