Holy 6" Retro 66 Batman Figures From McFarlane Toys

JayC

New solicitations listings have gone out to overseas retailers like Big Boys Toy Store for new DC Retro 6" products from McFarlane Toys based on the 66 Batman TV series. The listings show the following items.

-Batman 66 - Batmobile ₱1,795.00 = $37US
-Batman 66 - Batcave Playset ₱1,795.00 = $37US
-Batman 66 - Batman ₱1,100.00 = $22US
-Batman 66 - Robin ₱1,100.00 = $22US
-Batman 66 - Joker ₱1,100.00 = $22US

Some things to note here. These are not listed as DC Multiverse, but as
DC Retro. I don't know if that means we will see these designed completely different from the Multiverse figures. The two things that come to my mind when I hear the word "Retro" are either less articulation or cloth like MEGO designs. These are listed with a scale that is 6" over the traditional 7" that McFarlane is known for with their action figures

The prices listed overseas might not translate exactly to US prices, but we can't help but notice the low cost of both the Batmobile and Batcave playsets which are both listed as 6" along with the figures. Friday in a video Todd McFarlane did for WonderCon
, he mentioned how they were working on a Batmobile and something bigger, which would likely be this Batcave. It's hard to say what a low price might mean for items such as those, but I guess we will just have to see.

It's also odd that these are being done in 6" scale as opposed to McFarlane's traditional 7". Many fans since it was first announced McFarlane Toys was taking over the DC license from Mattel had hoped for 6" figures. I suspect this scale will only be limited to these "Retro" figures, but I am sure when folks see these it will renew the demands from some fans to see all DC figures done in the 6" format.

McFarlane-Batman-Retro.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lordtom said:

Batcave? Batmobile? Now we're talking!!

Based on the prices, I would wait and see what they are before getting excited. While the overseas prices might not exactly reflect what the cost will be in the US, the Batmobile and Batcave aren't even doubt the price of the figures.

• Thanks 1

I don't necessarily want more Batman 1966 figures, but on other hand DC Retro in 6 inch scale does grab my attention, maybe I'm too hopeful that there's small possibility of articulated 6 inch DC figures coming back, but we will see, I doubt mego line, but it might be closer to older McFarlane statuesque figures, or more minimal articulation since figures likely do need to sit in Batmobile, or Todd finally saw that he can use less plastic and sell figures for same prices as well as attract new (old) clientele, who are still are missing their DC Fix in abandoned scale.

Pardon my guarded optimism, but I wonder if the "Retro" tag may be some kind of allusion to the old DC Universe Classics type figures. That scale, that level of articulation, etc. The price range would seem to indicate that.

Might be interesting to see where this goes . . . providing they give us a Batgirl to go with this sausage party.

• Thanks 1

I'm in the wait and see mode on this too. Mattel already did all of this with an incredibly expensive batmobile at 5 inches. Mego did a decent job in their traditional style at the slightly larger scale and NECA gave us what I consider the best of the breed with the Adam West Batman at 7 inches - although they are still not forgiven for not making the Burt Ward Robin to go with it even though they made him at the quarter scale level.

So what is left for McFarlane to give us that we have not already seen? Some of you are already jonesin for second round offerings like Batgirl and Catwomen. But let's not forget McFarlane also promised great things during pre launch of his Star Trek line. That line got off the pad but exploded 100 feet above the tower. So again, I am waiting in a once bitten twice shy mode to see what this actually turns into.

• Thanks 1

I'm not going to yuck on anyone's yum, but this isn't my interest.   I'm really hoping Toddy Mc will do more of the Batman movies, the Burton/Schumacher era and those Batmobiles.  But I don't want 6" versions of those either, I want them 7" scale.   Everyone has their versions of Bats that they love, I suppose.   

I'm looking forward to seeing what this line is going to be.   I was considering Mezco's 5 point set with the batmobile, batcave and serveral figures and this news came along.

I have Mattel's Batman 66 figures and Batmobile and it would be great if McFarlane figures could scale with them, but I'm not holding my breathe.

• Thanks 1

Will they do Penguin, Riddler, & Catwoman too? I'd love to see Mad Hatter, King Tut, Bookworm, Mr. Freeze, & Egghead, along with Batgirl. Just wondering if Todd has the guts to follow through with more characters than Mattel did.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, rono said:

Just wondering if Todd has the guts to follow through with more characters than Mattel did.

Well, given the job he's done with the rest of his "DC" license, I'd have to say . . . NO.

7 hours ago, rono said:

Will they do Penguin, Riddler, & Catwoman too? I'd love to see Mad Hatter, King Tut, Bookworm, Mr. Freeze, & Egghead, along with Batgirl. Just wondering if Todd has the guts to follow through with more characters than Mattel did.

If the first wave of 5-6 figures sells well, I don't see why not continue the line with the other aforementioned characters from the show...😀✌️

• 2 months later...
We first told you about these back in March, and now we have our first official look at the upcoming Retro 66 Batman TV Series line coming from McFarlane Toys. In the image we get looks at the regular Batman, Robin and Joker figures as well as partial looks at the Batmobile vehicle and Batcave playset also being released.

Unlike the McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse figures which are 7" tall, these figures are listed as being 6". Other figures we know coming to the line based on overseas listings include Riddler, Batman in Swim Shorts, Joker in Swim Shorts and a NYCC exclusive unmasked Batman.

Stay-tuned for more details on this new line to be released soon.

Batman-66-Retro.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JayC said:
We first told you about these back in March, and now we have our first official look at the upcoming Retro 66 Batman TV Series line coming from McFarlane Toys. In the image we get looks at the regular Batman, Robin and Joker figures as well as partial looks at the Batmobile vehicle and Batcave playset also being released.

Unlike the McFarlane Toys DC Multiverse figures which are 7" tall, these figures are listed as being 6". Other figures we know coming to the line include based on overseas listings include Riddler, Batman in Swim Shorts, Joker in Swim Shorts and a NYCC exclusive unmasked Batman.

Stay-tuned for more details on this new line to be released soon.

Batman-66-Retro.jpg

They look pretty good... I will get on board for this line... I like what I see in that picture...😃✌️

29 minutes ago, Roadpigmaster said:

They look pretty good... I will get on board for this line... I like what I see in that picture...😃✌️

The Batcave playset looks much more impressive than what I was originally expecting, mainly because it was listed with such a low price in the original listings. I will be curious to see how the Batmobile and Batcave will be priced here in the US.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JayC said:

The Batcave playset looks much more impressive than what I was originally expecting, mainly because it was listed with such a low price in the original listings. I will be curious to see how the Batmobile and Batcave will be priced here in the US.

Yeah, this line is impressive JayC. I almost got onboard with the Batman 66 set cardboard and figures reaction style but this one is the one I like because of the details on the figures and playsets/vehicles...😃✌️

I'm on the fence with this line. It's been done a couple of times already. Some nice aspects to this so far but the price will be a big determination. Will this be put out as one big set or will we be able to get the figs individually as well?

Lastly, I am having some trouble getting over the capes. Why can't anyone get these to look right? NECA did a good job on their 7 inch batman. Mattel versions looked horrendous and these here remind me of the flat the stiff softgoods vinyl/ plastic from 70s star wars figures. The style here calls for very drapey,floppy material that they just can't seem to find.

2 hours ago, Spack said:

I'm on the fence with this line. It's been done a couple of times already. Some nice aspects to this so far but the price will be a big determination. Will this be put out as one big set or will we be able to get the figs individually as well?

Lastly, I am having some trouble getting over the capes. Why can't anyone get these to look right? NECA did a good job on their 7 inch batman. Mattel versions looked horrendous and these here remind me of the flat the stiff softgoods vinyl/ plastic from 70s star wars figures. The style here calls for very drapey,floppy material that they just can't seem to find.

Ok I saw there are individual prices for each piece.I like that. More inclined to make a purchase.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, not bad! The sculpts are not as good as Neca's but better than Mattel and Mezco,imo. Dont like the capes but maybe possible to get wired capes through a 3rd party eventually.

I really love the vehicle and playset however (from what I can see) and I'd even say that they outshine the figures to some extent and in that case, you'd probably be missing out if you only buy the figures, unlike most other 6 inch lines.

• Thanks 1

I really wish someone took another crack at the BTAS Batcave.  It is the one thing I deeply regret missinf out.

• Like 1