Jump to content

Todd McFarlane Confrms Medieval Spawn As His Next Kickstarter And More


Recommended Posts

Todd McFarlane has released a new video as part of the WonderCon at home event going on this weekend. In the video talks about various things including toys, comics and his Spawn movie.
 

 



Most of the things he talks about in the video are things we've heard him say before, but I just wanted to recap a few things that stood out to me. First he confirms that the next Kickstarter that will launch later this year will be for a new Medieval Spawn figure. Last October Todd had mentioned he was thinking about Medieval Spawn for the Kickstarter treatment, but no its 100% confirmed as happening. More details should be coming soon. He says it will be run even better than the first Kickstarter

. He also suggested they might do more than one Kickstarter this year.

He also talks about doing more Spawn figures at general retail. Nothing really specific. At one point while he is talking about Spawn figures, they show up an image of a Violator figure being painted which you can see a screen cap for below. We've also seen him previously tease other Spawn figures like Cowboy Spawn and Redeemer Spawn

Todd also mentioned his company is going to soon be announcing 7 new licenses for action figures they will be doing. I suppose some of these will include things like the Disney Mirrorverse figures we've previously reported on. He mentions it will be things based on TV shows and movies.

He mentions how he is going to be doing more artist proof (unpainted) figures for as many of his lines as possible. The artist proof figures is something they had been doing with their Warhammer figures, and it looks like we could start to see similar figures in other lines like DC Multiverse.

 



In the video he mentions they are working on a new Batmobile and something bigger. It's not clear if this is going to be another Build-A-Batmobile type thing or something that would be in scale with 7" figures. When he was showing hand gestures for size while talking about this in the video, it didn't seem like it would be something in actual 7" scale.

Wondercon-Violator.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, DiscoCougar said:

But doesn't Gaiman still own Medi Spawn? Or will he get a piece of this action from Todd?

Todd and Neil made a deal for 50% ownership of the copyrights to Spawn issues #9-26, Angela issues #1-3, and the characters introduced within (most notably Medieval Spawn and Angela), as well as profit sharing back in 2012.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. I still haven't received my first Kickstarter Spawn yet but would like to see what the Medieval Spawn looks like. The shipping process needs to be addressed on the next one for sure. Also of interest is more Spawn at retail.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

With regard to those 7 new licenses I'll just say that I'm curious. As fot the artist proof figures, I think it's as absurd as the amount of re-paints he've been released lately. And with regard to the medieval spawn Kickstarter, I insist, if the guy already has plans to launch a retail line dedicated sololy to spawn I don't see why he doesn't just release it as part of that line, but the guy likes the attention.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I backed the first one cuz I didn't think I was gonna be able to find the MK version. I'm regretting that first purchase so I'm gonna pass on this.

C'mon Todd! You've got a toy company and retailer support! Quit it with the kickstarters and just release a new spawn series!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah not going to support any kind of kickstarters to a multi million dollar company that already pushes out a crap ton of figures at retail prices. Im glad for all those that did enjoy their KS but thats def not my bag. He damn well better not make violator a kickstarter. I just want a new regularly released, affordable and retail, fully articulated violator damnit! I m not going to fork over 80 bucks or whatever it is for a big kickstarter. I am curious about the 7 licenses but we all know he ll do a multitude of gold variants and "accessory" variants XD.. I think the first spawn kickstarter was a great idea in that it built up hype for a new line of spawn figures and to have people that are hyped be involved in starting it, but i feel like Todd is going to run that idea to the ground instead.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Supposedly the story is that with Kickstarter, Todd can have figures made with real metal chains and weapons, which apparently can't be in the toy aisle at Walmart/Target, and the prefunding and more limited numbers allows him to pay the poor Chinese factory workers to take their time with the kind of detailed paintjobs Spawn figures used to have but totally can't now because they're being made in greater numbers and for what works out to a cheaper price point for the toy aisle at Walmart/Target.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Satam said:

Todd and Neil made a deal for 50% ownership of the copyrights to Spawn issues #9-26, Angela issues #1-3, and the characters introduced within (most notably Medieval Spawn and Angela), as well as profit sharing back in 2012.

 

 

If it was just for 50%, then how was Gaiman allowed to sell Angela outright to Marvel? Unless Todd was in on the deal??

Link to post
Share on other sites

More Kickstarters nah..I'll pass, but more Spawn at retail PLEASE, I think one of my favorite take aways from this is more info on the movie and the new spawn universe comics, I'm really excited for fresh new spawn media. I am really hyped about that Violator pic there, I will buy that for sure, looks like it might be the violator that knocks the violator 3 off the top shelf.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DiscoCougar said:

 

If it was just for 50%, then how was Gaiman allowed to sell Angela outright to Marvel? Unless Todd was in on the deal??

It seems that they may have made a subsequent deal where Todd Gave up his rights to Angela in exchange for Gaiman's rights to Medieval Spawn (and possibly Cogliostro, whom they also shared). Info about this after the articles about the 2012 settlement is scattered, speculative, piecemeal, and clues need to be pieced together, as, of course, the actual legal documents don't appear to be online.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, EvilHayato said:

Yeah not going to support any kind of kickstarters to a multi million dollar company that already pushes out a crap ton of figures at retail prices. Im glad for all those that did enjoy their KS but thats def not my bag. He damn well better not make violator a kickstarter. I just want a new regularly released, affordable and retail, fully articulated violator damnit! I m not going to fork over 80 bucks or whatever it is for a big kickstarter. I am curious about the 7 licenses but we all know he ll do a multitude of gold variants and "accessory" variants XD.. I think the first spawn kickstarter was a great idea in that it built up hype for a new line of spawn figures and to have people that are hyped be involved in starting it, but i feel like Todd is going to run that idea to the ground instead.  

Never put money in a kickstarter before? It's for $80? Is it like a pre-order? You don't get charged until the item is ready to ship? I ask because of all Todd's Spawn figs, I'm most interested in this Medieval design.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Blurr86 said:

Never put money in a kickstarter before? It's for $80? Is it like a pre-order? You don't get charged until the item is ready to ship? I ask because of all Todd's Spawn figs, I'm most interested in this Medieval design.

I have, typically kickstarters are you throwing money at someone in hopes that they make the product. They dont have to in any way shape or form finish it and send it to you. Many kickstarters have failed and you dont get any money back. Its not like ordering from a retailer and getting your stuff. Ive done a few kickstarters and thankfully they went somewhere and i got my goods but its a crapshoot. Todd of course will deliver because that would lose allllll sorts of consumer trust in his brand. As long as it reaches the set goal amount. I think this is just a way for him to gauge interest because we know he has plenty of money to make these if he wanted to. I know he says its for the metal parts and all that but cmon hed still be able to sell this stuff just fine. I dont know how much the kickstarter was and just randomly threw out $80 as a number. I know it wasnt cheap. I don t know about if they take the money first or when shipped. I think and imagine they take the money right away. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2021 at 7:58 AM, JayC said:

Todd McFarlane has released a new video as part of the WonderCon at home event going on this weekend. In the video talks about various things including toys, comics and his Spawn movie.
 

 



Most of the things he talks about in the video are things we've heard him say before, but I just wanted to recap a few things that stood out to me. First he confirms that the next Kickstarter that will launch later this year will be for a new Medieval Spawn figure. Last October Todd had mentioned he was thinking about Medieval Spawn for the Kickstarter treatment, but no its 100% confirmed as happening. More details should be coming soon. He says it will be run even better than the first Kickstarter

. He also suggested they might do more than one Kickstarter this year.

He also talks about doing more Spawn figures at general retail. Nothing really specific. At one point while he is talking about Spawn figures, they show up an image of a Violator figure being painted which you can see a screen cap for below. We've also seen him previously tease other Spawn figures like Cowboy Spawn and Redeemer Spawn

Todd also mentioned his company is going to soon be announcing 7 new licenses for action figures they will be doing. I suppose some of these will include things like the Disney Mirrorverse figures we've previously reported on. He mentions it will be things based on TV shows and movies.

He mentions how he is going to be doing more artist proof (unpainted) figures for as many of his lines as possible. The artist proof figures is something they had been doing with their Warhammer figures, and it looks like we could start to see similar figures in other lines like DC Multiverse.

 



In the video he mentions they are working on a new Batmobile and something bigger. It's not clear if this is going to be another Build-A-Batmobile type thing or something that would be in scale with 7" figures. When he was showing hand gestures for size while talking about this in the video, it didn't seem like it would be something in actual 7" scale.

Wondercon-Violator.jpg

My take away from this. Mega-fig Swamp Thing, New design of Batmobile, Medieval Spawn Kickstarter and that Todd, with all his companies, should maybe just ask his technical team to put some kind of sound effects on his presentations like this ;-D 

PS. I'm glad he clarified that he won't be saturating his Spawn world creations with Spawn characters only. I don't see anything interesting in world building where the characters are just a copy of only one persona.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Blurr86 said:

My take away from this. Mega-fig Swamp Thing, New design of Batmobile, Medieval Spawn Kickstarter and that Todd, with all his companies, should maybe just ask his technical team to put some kind of sound effects on his presentations like this ;-D 

If Todd wasn't known for just rambling off names that come to mind in interviews like this I would be more encouraged by that Swamp Thing mention, however I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that for now. Also the Batmobile I dont think will be something in scale with 7" figures. His hand gesture suggests something smaller which says to me probably something more on par with the Build-A-Batmobile. We know they had designed more than one originally so they may just do a straight out release instead of making it a Build-A-Thing.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JayC said:

If Todd wasn't known for just rambling off names that come to mind in interviews like this I would be more encouraged by that Swamp Thing mention, however I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in that for now. Also the Batmobile I dont think will be something in scale with 7" figures. His hand gesture suggests something smaller which says to me probably something more on par with the Build-A-Batmobile. We know they had designed more than one originally so they may just do a straight out release instead of making it a Build-A-Thing.

I don't want to see that 3-part small Batmobile {sigh}. From the first release I got only two of the three. I am not a fan of that Batgirl design (so i didn't get that portion of the car). On a lighter side, maybe there are mini-batmobile collectors out there. Good for them :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Blurr86 said:

I don't want to see that 3-part small Batmobile {sigh}. From the first release I got only two of the three. I am not a fan of that Batgirl design (so i didn't get that portion of the car). On a lighter side, maybe there are mini-batmobile collectors out there. Good for them :)

Yeah I don't think the Build-A-Batmobile was received well by collectors, hence why they switched back to the traditional BAF model. I would love to see them do a 7" scale Batmobile, but I just feel if that is what they were doing Todd would had emphasized the size a lot more than he did in the video. I also know when I interviewed him  last year he talked about how they had planned to do a number of those Batmobiles based on different styles from over the years. I won't say it's 100% impossible they won't do a 7" scale Batmobile, I just wouldn't get my hopes up for it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JayC said:

Yeah I don't think the Build-A-Batmobile was received well by collectors, hence why they switched back to the traditional BAF model. I would love to see them do a 7" scale Batmobile, but I just feel if that is what they were doing Todd would had emphasized the size a lot more than he did in the video. I also know when I interviewed him  last year he talked about how they had planned to do a number of those Batmobiles based on different styles from over the years. I won't say it's 100% impossible they won't do a 7" scale Batmobile, I just wouldn't get my hopes up for it.

Yes. I think I remember him expressing his intension to expand the 'mini batmobile' design. He even shared his impression on how a minis collector would feel about getting a lot of those in their display case. I guess he's creating a need, somehow, which is something some good sales people would do. It's just that the Bat-car he created where a 7" action figure can ride at an awkward manner (with the cape out) doesn't make the cut for me. Hehe.... Yeah I'd be happy IF (big 'if') he creates a full size 1/12 scale Batmobile. Well... never mind the Batmobile (wistful thinking), I'll be happier and pleasantly surprised to see him release the Mobius Chair. :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2021 at 9:06 PM, EvilHayato said:

Yeah not going to support any kind of kickstarters to a multi million dollar company that already pushes out a crap ton of figures at retail prices. Im glad for all those that did enjoy their KS but thats def not my bag. He damn well better not make violator a kickstarter. I just want a new regularly released, affordable and retail, fully articulated violator damnit! I m not going to fork over 80 bucks or whatever it is for a big kickstarter. I am curious about the 7 licenses but we all know he ll do a multitude of gold variants and "accessory" variants XD.. I think the first spawn kickstarter was a great idea in that it built up hype for a new line of spawn figures and to have people that are hyped be involved in starting it, but i feel like Todd is going to run that idea to the ground instead.  

Expect a Violator figure to be a $40 "Mega-Fig" retail release (if at all) then(& I never heard Todd say $80 either), due to this Interview showing Todd speak of the size of characters for His "Mega-Figs" being the size of Thanos, Swamp Thing & "Violator".... just saying.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2021 at 4:58 PM, JayC said:

Todd McFarlane has released a new video as part of the WonderCon at home event going on this weekend. In the video talks about various things including toys, comics and his Spawn movie.
 

 



Most of the things he talks about in the video are things we've heard him say before, but I just wanted to recap a few things that stood out to me. First he confirms that the next Kickstarter that will launch later this year will be for a new Medieval Spawn figure. Last October Todd had mentioned he was thinking about Medieval Spawn for the Kickstarter treatment, but no its 100% confirmed as happening. More details should be coming soon. He says it will be run even better than the first Kickstarter

. He also suggested they might do more than one Kickstarter this year.

He also talks about doing more Spawn figures at general retail. Nothing really specific. At one point while he is talking about Spawn figures, they show up an image of a Violator figure being painted which you can see a screen cap for below. We've also seen him previously tease other Spawn figures like Cowboy Spawn and Redeemer Spawn

Todd also mentioned his company is going to soon be announcing 7 new licenses for action figures they will be doing. I suppose some of these will include things like the Disney Mirrorverse figures we've previously reported on. He mentions it will be things based on TV shows and movies.

He mentions how he is going to be doing more artist proof (unpainted) figures for as many of his lines as possible. The artist proof figures is something they had been doing with their Warhammer figures, and it looks like we could start to see similar figures in other lines like DC Multiverse.

 



In the video he mentions they are working on a new Batmobile and something bigger. It's not clear if this is going to be another Build-A-Batmobile type thing or something that would be in scale with 7" figures. When he was showing hand gestures for size while talking about this in the video, it didn't seem like it would be something in actual 7" scale.

Wondercon-Violator.jpg

JayC, I appreciate all You do & am a fan of Your content... with that said, I'm hoping to inform You there is no "Cowboy Spawn"...

 

But there is a "Gunslinger Spawn" tho

 

As shown @30:44 in the Comic Con Todd Interview video this Post is reporting on.1616966465379777402697.thumb.jpg.d2a1dd44b89fd5928e78a4c180fcad7b.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

On Friday we told you how Todd McFarlane in a WonderCon video had confirmed that he would be offering a new Medieval Spawn figure for his next Kickstarter later this year.

He also hinted of a new Violator figure in the works on top of the Redeemer and Gunslinger Spawn figures that had been previously teased for a regular retail release.

Well now thanks to new solicitations that have been sent out to overseas retailers like <b>Big Boy Toys, we have even more Spawn details to share with you. It looks like we will be seeing the following 7" scale figures at retail this year.


- Gunslinger Spawn
- Redeemer
- Raven Spawn
- Clown (Deluxe)
- Violator (Mega)


Note below are recent images released by Todd for Gunslinger, Redeemer and Violator. The images used for Clown and Raven Spawn are of older figures being used for reference purposes only. No official images for any of these figures have been released at this time.


The Clown figure is being listed as a Deluxe figure with a price of ₱2,195.00, which translates to around $45 US. The Violator is being released as a MEGAFIG with a price of ₱2,195.00 which translates to around $60 US. Now these overseas prices may not reflect exactly how much the figures will cost in the US, but it does indicate that

Violator will be bigger than Clown and we are seeing two different larger size categories being used by McFarlane for their action figures now.

Clown.jpg

Cowbow-Spawn.jpg

Raven-Spawn.jpg

Redeemer.jpg

Spawn-Mega-Violator.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JayC said:

On Friday we told you how Todd McFarlane in a WonderCon video had confirmed that he would be offering a new Medieval Spawn figure for his next Kickstarter later this year.

He also hinted of a new Violator figure in the works on top of the Redeemer and Gunslinger Spawn figures that had been previously teased for a regular retail release.

Well now thanks to new solicitations that have been sent out to overseas retailers like <b>Big Boy Toys, we have even more Spawn details to share with you. It looks like we will be seeing the following 7" scale figures at retail this year.


- Gunslinger Spawn
- Redeemer
- Raven Spawn
- Clown (Deluxe)
- Violator (Mega)


Note below are recent images released by Todd for Gunslinger, Redeemer and Violator. The images used for Clown and Raven Spawn are of older figures being used for reference purposes only. No official images for any of these figures have been released at this time.


The Clown figure is being listed as a Deluxe figure with a price of ₱2,195.00, which translates to around $45 US. The Violator is being released as a MEGAFIG with a price of ₱2,195.00 which translates to around $60 US. Now these overseas prices may not reflect exactly how much the figures will cost in the US, but it does indicate that

Violator will be bigger than Clown and we are seeing two different larger size categories being used by McFarlane for their action figures now.

Clown.jpg

Cowbow-Spawn.jpg

Raven-Spawn.jpg

Redeemer.jpg

Spawn-Mega-Violator.jpg

Raven Spawn looks like a a Grim Reaper with a bad attitude. Perfect! Redeemer is the perfect nemesis for him. Toddster must have some kind of fondness for Asia hehe... Thanks Todd!

mcfarlane.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm both excited and wary about an updated Raven Spawn. Badass looking character, but there's no way the paintjob will be anywhere approaching that of any of the earlier versions. Here's hoping there's a Curse of the Spawn figure in Wave 2. Here's hoping there's a wave 2!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Find Action Figures on Ebay

×
×
  • Create New...
Sign Up For The TNI Newsletter And Have The News Delivered To You!


Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE