NECA Announces 7" Disney Gargoyles Animated Series Figures And A First Look

JayC

NECA around midnight last night came out of left field with a surprise announcement that they would be doing 7" figures based on the classic 90's Disney Gargoyles animated series. For those not familiar with the series, despite being a Disney property was known at the time for having a fairly dark tone and told the story of ancient nocturnal creatures who were living in modern New York City. By day they would be stone statues and by night would come alive. While technically made for kids, the stories often would be based on Shakespearean themes. The show ran for 3 seasons and contain a total of 78 episodes.

While NECA has not yet released any specific details, the teaser images they released show us they are doing a fairly detailed and articulated figure of the leader character named Goliath which looks like will come with two different headsculpts.

Check out the images below and stay-tuned for more details on this as they become available.

Gargoyals-01.jpg

Gargoyles-00.jpg

• Like 3

This looks really good. That was actually a really cool cartoon series and I'd always wished the toy line had been much better. The only thing that sucks about this is that NECA is really hard to get ahold of at any regularity, at least where I live. If I were to even consider getting deep into these it would have to be with some kind of pre-order thing like they've started to do with the Turtles. Even then, the bots usually get most of the pre-orders.

Oh man, this is huge for me. I was born around when Gargoyles first aired, but I saw a ton of it as a kid and it's still one of my favorite cartoons. It had a decently sized cast, but it wasn't that many characters compared to bigger shows so hopefully they do just about everyone. However many they make I'll absolutely buy them all.

• Like 1

Following the news from earlier that NECA will be doing 7" figures based on the classic 90's Disney Gargoyles animated series, they have released additional images and said these figures will be available everywhere. They will not be store exclusives. Look for the first figure based on the Goliath character to go up for pre-order today. You can pre-order the figure now at or sponsor BigBadToyStore.com.

“One thousand years ago, superstition and the sword ruled…”

The time of the Gargoyles has come again! Arguably the best gothic cartoon of the 1990s, Gargoyles followed an ancient clan of gargoyles transported to modern-day Manhattan when their Scottish castle is relocated.

Leader Goliath joins the Ultimate line with an appropriately large 8″ action figure, with a wingspan of 16 inches! The figure features full articulation, including on wings and tail, and comes with plenty of accessories: wings, jalapeno pepper, book, and interchangeable heads and hands.

Comes in display-friendly window box packaging with opening flap.

Gargoyles-NECA-05.jpg

Gargoyles-NECA-04.jpg

Gargoyles-NECA-03.jpg

Gargoyles-NECA-01.jpg

Gargoyles-NECA-06.jpg

Gargoyles-NECA-07.jpg

Gargoyles-NECA-08.jpg

Gargoyles-NECA-09.jpg

Gargoyles-NECA-10.jpg

Gargoyles-NECA-11.jpg

Gargoyles-NECA-12.jpg

Gargoyles-NECA-13.jpg

Gargoyles-NECA-14.jpg

Gargoyles-NECA-16.jpg

Gargoyles-NECA-17.jpg

• Like 1

This is pretty incredible! I never thought id see gargoyles figures like 20 years after the show ended, let alone by neca and had this kind of treatment. I would love to buy these but I cant start a new line of figures. I wonder if they ll do a "stone" variant of any and all of the figs they do.. oh man that would be super cool. Also if this was mcfarlane, it would be 2 figures XD... and 10 variants, 3 being gold. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, memocromatico said:

This looks amazing, even if I didn't have any attachment to the cartoon... what's with the pepper tho?

It's a gag from an episode.  Eliza or someone had Goliath try a jalapeño.  Ended the episode with it burning his mouth and him shouting "Jalapeño".  

I'm not gonna pretend I'm gonna collect whole line but this is obvious must get, this is literally one of the most creative things Disney company has done without resorting to old stuff or Marvel and Star War. Sad to see it not getting proper attention from parent company. 

6 minutes ago, JayC said:

NECA has said besides Goliath, they have 5 figures completed with more in development. So this will be a full blown action figure line.

That's what I want to hear. To cover my own personal preferences, ANY Gargoyles line, bare minimum, would have to include the leads from the Avalon Arc: Goliath, Elisa, Bronx, & Angela; and the shows main antagonists/anti-heroes: Xanatos, Demona, & MacBeth. That's just my short list.

• Like 2

Again with this. No rear view shot of the figure. 18 photos and most of them front views. What do the wings look like from behind? Are they articulated? Are they removable? What about the tail?

Why continually show us pictures of these figures, without a 360 view??

37 minutes ago, Atlantis said:

Again with this. No rear view shot of the figure. 18 photos and most of them front views. What do the wings look like from behind? Are they articulated? Are they removable? What about the tail?

Why continually show us pictures of these figures, without a 360 view??

The description says "features full articulation, including on wings and tail, "

30 minutes ago, ClarkKent said:

The description says "features full articulation, including on wings and tail, "

It SAYS that, but some people's ideas of "full articulation" differs from others. It looks like they may swing upwards, but do they fold/hinge behind him, or fold in front? That's why a rear view shot should have been included.

1 hour ago, Atlantis said:

It SAYS that, but some people's ideas of "full articulation" differs from others. It looks like they may swing upwards, but do they fold/hinge behind him, or fold in front? That's why a rear view shot should have been included.

It could be that exact articulation isn't even ready for and thats why the didn't show us anything, but my guess would be simple ball joint in the socket, but it also could be swivel.

1 hour ago, mako said:

Minor quibble, but it's to bad they didn't include a soft plastic "wing-cape" I always loved that look on the show.

Oh man, I totally forgot about that look. That wouldve been amazing if they included something like that to recreate. They all did that and it was very unique to see and really gave them an interesting look. Man that show was so ahead of its time!