TNI Guest Editorial: Cancel Culture in Action Figure Collector Communities: Necessary Evil or Cyberbullying? By Chip Carroll

JayC

16 minutes ago, EvilHayato said:

I believe he wants you to elaborate on the point. I would hazard a guess that some feel you have a more bias opinion on this piece than others, with him being a friend and one that helps you get stuff for you. I havent seen anyone post your point of view on the matter aside from you. So it comes off as defensive on the matter than really having a discussion on the overall topic.

Quoted for truth.

I mean, what it boils down to...for me anyway...is I don't think anyone is necessarily saying he's some horrible person. That's overexaggerating. I'm sure he's a fine dude in real life. We may not be his biggest fan at moment, true, but is that REALLY a big deal? I'm sure there's plenty of people who dislike me in this world. In fact, I sure can think of a few choice women who'd love to monologue on that subject. Hah! But he's behaving like we're going to burn him at the stake. Equating this to Cancel Culture is just ridiculous. People can accidentally come off bad, I get it. We're human. All we're saying is...man...(again I'll repeat)...just have some accountability for your actions instead of blame-shifting. I don't think the outcry would nearly have been as large had THIS not been written. Be mature and I'm sure forgiveness will follow and it'll get swept under the rug and be forgotten in less than a week. 

Let me use a metaphor: If you're caught with your hand in the cookie jar, you don't play pathetically innocent and call the one who called you out a bully. You did the questionable deed. You got the appropriate response. Now live in it. Instead he's denying that responsibility and swapping blame on US for something he executed poorly. 

• Like 1

This piece is physically revolting to me. To me, this entire article REEKS of begging for attention and wanting validation for what he KNOWS is shitty behavior.

So, no, he deserves no sympathy, whatever he got he deserves, and the fact he's trying to paint himself as a victim is fundamentally abhorrent. But you know what? Let's just say he's right. Let's say this is an instance of "cancel culture". If EVER there was a group of people that DESERVED to be cancelled, it is @##@@ scalpers. And make no mistake, he is one of them

• Like 3

I hate scalpers.  He knows he shouldn't be scalping, he knows it's #$## and selfish and cries because he thought he'd get away with it.  Someone should throw some cold cuts in his vents.  Like, push them past the corners so he has to either pay someone to remove them or live with the smell.  God I hate scalpers.

What if, and hear me out, we just limited ourselves to what most stores limit us to, 2. This yr marks my 1st yr collecting figs since I was a shorty and I must say, most of the ppl in the collector community has REALLY turned me off on the hobby as a whole. All the greed and showing off is just 🤮. To the guy who wrote the editorial, u don’t need anyone’s approval anymore than u need 13 of the same fig! (U can’t take ‘em all with u when u die.) All u need is 2 luv urself. 💯 Wat makes a man so empty that it takes the likes of others and not his own to fill him up? It reminds me of the ppl who hav 2 hav BIG, EXTRAVAGANT houses and cars 2 make up 4 their deep seated pain and insecurities. “I’ve been ignored all my life but, THEY’LL ALL HAV 2 C ME NOW! HAHA!!” I know I still struggle with thinking this way. “They made us hate ourself and love they wealth.” There r ppl who r sick and dying who just want 2 own their favorite character’s fig before it’s all over but, no one considers that. Disabled ppl physically can’t hunt from store to store but toy companies don’t consider that or else they’d all hav more made to order, open pre-orders online. We’re so deep in capitalism here in America that it’s sickening and as with all sicknesses, I hope I live 2 c it cured or at the very least, get better soon. 

I commend JayC for being a “ride or die” type friend. He’s never gonna join the rest of us & pick up a pitchfork. I mean, do the rest of us really expect the guy who gave his friend the soapbox to bash him when he’s supplying him with figs? I do think its sad that Chip hasnt shown up in here to at least take some of the heat off of JayC. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, FLife said:

I commend JayC for being a “ride or die” type friend. He’s never gonna join the rest of us & pick up a pitchfork. I mean, do the rest of us really expect the guy who gave his friend the soapbox to bash him when he’s supplying him with figs? I do think its sad that Chip hasnt shown up in here to at least take some of the heat off of JayC. 

LOL, he sold me a couple of figs at cost, which in my view doesnt make him a scalper. I know him from Facebook but its not like we are close personal friends. But I like how you tried to frame that.

30 minutes ago, JayC said:

LOL, he sold me a couple of figs at cost, which in my view doesnt make him a scalper. But I like how you tried to frame that.

hey, I feel the same way about my friend who steals from dept stores, but never from me. In my view he isnt a thief. And I honestly feel that way, no bull. When he comes over I dont hide my valuables, I dont watch his every move. We’ve been friends for 20+ years, I trust him. I truly dont think of him as a thief, until that one day he decides to steal from me. 

Here is another interesting tid bit which isn't anything specifically related to this editorial, but something interesting I've noticed. This article has been read by over 30k people  since it was posted last weekend. Generated a thread of 4 pages of of people commenting here on the forums.

Then take the guest editorial I posted this weekend. Arguably better written, more fun with a lighter tone. Its had 3 people comment on the thread here on the forums  and yet to break 1k views, and I am not sure it will break 1k.

Like I said from the get go, the point of an editorial like this is to create debate and discussion. If your trying to find any kind of motive for me posting it which I was pretty clear about, that is it.

3 hours ago, JayC said:

Here is another interesting tid bit which isn't anything specifically related to this editorial, but something interesting I've noticed. This article has been read by over 30k people  since it was posted last weekend. Generated a thread of 4 pages of of people commenting here on the forums.

Then take the guest editorial I posted this weekend. Arguably better written, more fun with a lighter tone. Its had 3 people comment on the thread here on the forums  and yet to break 1k views, and I am not sure it will break 1k.

Like I said from the get go, the point of an editorial like this is to create debate and discussion. If your trying to find any kind of motive for me posting it which I was pretty clear about, that is it.

and thats why media always picks divisive and controversial topics that are guaranteed to generate discussion and traffic/sales. I guess next topic should be why we don't need double jointed elbows

1 hour ago, SpiderS said:

and thats why media always picks divisive and controversial topics that are guaranteed to generate discussion and traffic/sales. I guess next topic should be why we don't need double jointed elbows

Thats true. And if someone was willing to take the time to write a decently written article on why they feel double jointed elbows are not need or more specifically why lots of articulation isnt always needed in an action figure then I would be more than happy to consider it for a future guest editorial segment.