Hasbro Announces Fortnite Action Figures In The Works - What Does It Mean?!?

JayC

Hasbro today in their virtual investor day panel announced that they had expanded their license agreement with Epic Games for Fortnite that would now include action figures. Recently Hasbro had announced that they were doing a 6" Classified version of Snake-Eyes based on his appearance in the Fortnite game.

It wasn't entirely clear in today's announcement if that meant we would only be seeing more figures based on characters that Hasbro already makes product for that have appeared in the game, such as Marvel or Star Wars. Or did it mean that Hasbro would be making action figures based on actual Fortnite characters, even though other companies like McFarlane Toys and Jazwares have already been making such figures.

For those not familiar, for the last few years McFarlane Toys has been making 7" Fortnite figures and Jazwares has been making 6" and 4" figures.

So we reached out to the folks at Hasbro, McFarlane Toys and Jazwares to see if we could get any clarification about what Hasbro's announcement today meant for the future of Fortnite action figures.

As I type this, the only company so far to get back to me has been Hasbro. While they aren't ready to give out specifics on which exact characters they will be doing, they did tell me that the new agreement does NOT limit themto just Hasbro properties appearing in the game. They went on to tell me the license is specific to 6-inch and above scale in action figures and vehicles.

Since I have yet to hear back from McFarlane Toys or Jazwares about the status of their Fortnite lines, I can't tell you definitively that those companies won't still be releasing figures in some way. My best GUESS at this time is, Jazwares might continue on with their 4" figures while their 6" and the McFarlane 7" ones will be discontinued. Again that is just a guess based on the info Hasbro provided me about them doing figures for 6" and above.

If I get some kind of further confirmation from McFarlane and or Jazwares about the status of their lines, I will be sure to update this story.

As for Hasbro, again just speculating here, but seems like a good bet we will not only see regular 6" Fortnite figures from them, but also see other properties like Marvel, Star Wars and G.I. Joe that have appeared in the game get the Fortnite figure treatment. I wouldn't even be surprised if this new agreement between Hasbro and Epic Games didn't open the doors for other Hasbro properties like Transformers and Power Rangers to appear in the game as well.

Hasbro-Fortnite.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On a different note, since I already spoke my piece over at Marvelousnews, I am very curious about the future of Ghost Busters Plasma series, I guess they are moving forward?, despite the fact they bombed on the market, I had thought we would have seen at least 2-3 more waves by now (the way Hasbro moves), but the first wave is melting pegs, I'd have thought they would have just cancelled the line and wiped their hands? , even if the 2nd wave was supposed to be based on the new movie which was pushed back, I'd imagine they must have some other waves not connected to that movie they could put out. I'm surprised by the lack of communication on Hasbro's part about this line.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

On a different note, since I already spoke my piece over at Marvelousnews, I am very curious about the future of Ghost Busters Plasma series, I guess they are moving forward?, despite the fact they bombed on the market, I had thought we would have seen at least 2-3 more waves by now (the way Hasbro moves), but the first wave is melting pegs, I'd have thought they would have just cancelled the line and wiped their hands? , even if the 2nd wave was supposed to be based on the new movie which was pushed back, I'd imagine they must have some other waves not connected to that movie they could put out. I'm surprised by the lack of communication on Hasbro's part about this line.

I don’t understand why people complain when figures are actually in stores and obtainable. I NEVER would have bought Ghostbusters plasma figures if they were impossible to find like GI Joes. Collectors really do complain about EVERYTHING. The movie got pushed back along with the merch to promote it. The term peg warmer is used for a character that doesn’t sell as hot as the rest in a wave.. figure collectors are like crack fiend piranhas; they only consume and devour when a figure moves. No wonder the companies leave shelves blank for weeks and months. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Hasbro IMO only got the Ghostbusters line because of the new movie. The new movie has been on hold so have the toys. The future of the toy line will hinge entirely again IMO on how well that movies does once its actually released.

Oh that's interesting. But Jazzwares vehicles and pricing on the vehicles is solid, something I can't trust Hasbro with (pricing). Given they're charging $75 for a crabby shuttle based off a ride. 

I really hope we get a like for like psylocke figure cos so far Hasbro's attempts have been a disappointment in the face sculpt 

huh, this is interesting, really does make you wonder how did all of this happened all of a sudden, so far i had no problem with McFarlane doing the 7 inch scale line which seems alright for me, even i got myself an Inferno figure like a month ago and i still love that figure a lot which kinda made me consider getting perhaps only 4 or less more figures of that line even though i'm no fortnite aficionado to be honest. but yeh i do even wonder if Hasbro's take on Fortnite will be a success or a failure indeed, perhaps success because it's basically this generation's favorite shooter unless if something tops it which seems unlikely but prove me wrong if i am.

I think it will mean I'll be slightly poorer still?!  Hopefully it'll mean we get all the Female figures that have been severely lacking from the Jazawares and Mcfarlane lines.

Jazawares do a perfect job with everything else Fortnite but had the questionable Valkyrie figure. Mcfarlane loves doing his fortnite monsters (surprise surprise) and actually did a good job with the female Skully figure.. but has kind of given up on the fortnite biz.

(Just a quick plea, please dont mess up your Avatar license Todd?!)

I think the scale suits Hasbro/Jazawares anyway. Looking forward to seeing what Hasbro do?? Sad to have missed the Fortnite X GI Joe Snake Eyes.. but that's one of the down sides to being from the UK?!

Just thought about this. We're all assuming (hoping?) these HasNite figures will be in Marvel Legends or similar scale. I mean, they supposedly specifically mentioned 6" scale, but that doesn't necessarily mean Marvel Legends/Black Series/Lightning Collection/GIJC scale. Is Hasbro not already releasing video game themed figures in the more kiddifide 6" scale with their Avengers figures? It'd probably be real easy to expand that line into the Fortnite realm.

Something to think about.

• Thanks 1

Last week we told you how Hasbro had announced that they were expanding their license agreement with Epic Games for Fortnite that would now include action figures. We told you how Hasbro had informed then that their license agreement would now allow them to do 6" and above scale figures for Fortnite that wasn't just limited to characters based on properties they were already doing action figures for like the recently announced 6" Classified version of Snake-Eyes based on his appearance in the Fortnite game.

Now with this recent news from Hasbro

, that left many wondering what would happen with the 7" figure McFarlane Toys was doing or the 6" and 4" figures Jazwares was doing. We reached out to both companies for comment. We still haven't heard back from McFarlane but we did get a response from Jazwares today. They told us they will be announcing their upcoming Fortnite lines very soon and will send us more info at that time.

So not a lot of details yet, but it does seem to indicate that Jazwares isn't completely done with Fortnite. Since

Hasbro's new license agreement only includes 6" and above figures, my feeling has been that they will continue to release 4" figures. Now they did specifically use the words "Lines" in their response, indicating more than one. So we will have to see if that also somehow includes 6" figures as well or they will be doing something else with Fortnite.

When more details become available we will be sure to pass the info on to you.
  • Thanks 1

Looks to me that Hasbro is attempting another hostile takeover of a much smaller company with a superior business model and superior product. I don't foresee Hasbro being able to out do Jazzwares at this point. Hasbro's pretty much peaked with Marvel Legends and G.I. Joe Classified and Jazzwares seems to just be getting better and better and getting recognized more and more in the industry. I think Hasbro notices as well and rather than trying to improve to compete with a serious competitor they'd rather just try and take their stuff. Nothing like throwing a ton of money at a property to edge out the competition. Hasbro's got enough money to burn and take a loss for a few years in order to ultimately eliminate a potential threat to their lockdown on the toy market. 

Ask Toybiz how hard it is to stay afloat once Big Daddy Deep Pockets decides they've had quite enough of your little "better product, better prices" act. Oh yeah, most of them work at Jazzwares now, so they already know.

Jazwares today announced its partnership with Epic Games for Fortnite toys and collectibles has been extended through 2025. Starting January 2022, Jazwares will be the exclusive toy partner for Fortnite four-inches and under action figures and their compatible vehicles, playsets, accessories and more. Jazwares will also continue to produce new R/C vehicles, all of which will be compatible with Jazwares’ full 4” action figure line, and plush in varying sizes. Also in 2022, fans can expect to find an all-new lineup of highly detailed 2” action figures with multiple points of articulation and accompanying playsets, vehicles and accessories to build out their world of Fortnite in miniature scale.

Since 2018, Jazwares and Epic Games have worked together to bring the Fortnite universe into the real world for fans in over 50 countries, launching more than 350 toys and collectibles at retail that allow fans to interact with their favorite characters and experiences from the game in a brand new way. With an unmatched product lineup, Jazwares has pushed beyond the boundaries of fans’ expectations, bringing iconic in-game moments to life as toys for the first time and setting a new industry standard for detail and articulation in action figures.

In addition to the new items being released in 2022, Jazwares has unveiled new action figures, R/C vehicles and more, set to rollout at retail through 2021.

Hasbro will be doing 6" and above Fortnite figures as we previously reported.

Additional information on Jazwares can be found in the press release below:

Press Release

SUNRISE, FL., March 9, 2021 – Jazwares, a global leader in toys and licensing, today announced its partnership with Epic Games for Fortnite toys and collectibles has been extended through 2025, in a deal brokered by IMG.

Starting January 2022, Jazwares will be the exclusive toy partner for Fortnite four-inches and under action figures and their compatible vehicles, playsets, accessories and more. Jazwares will also continue to produce new R/C vehicles, all of which will be compatible with Jazwares’ full 4” action figure line, and plush in varying sizes. Also in 2022, fans can expect to find an all-new lineup of highly detailed 2” action figures with multiple points of articulation and accompanying playsets, vehicles and accessories to build out their world of Fortnite in miniature scale. The multi-year deal extends Epic Games and Jazwares’ successful three-year partnership.

Since 2018, Jazwares and Epic Games have worked together to bring the Fortnite universe into the real world for fans in over 50 countries, launching more than 350 toys and collectibles at retail that allow fans to interact with their favorite characters and experiences from the game in a brand new way.

With an unmatched product lineup, Jazwares has pushed beyond the boundaries of fans’ expectations, bringing iconic in-game moments to life as toys for the first time and setting a new industry standard for detail and articulation in action figures.

Jazwares’ Fortnite action figures are consistently a top five seller in the category each year, with the 4” Solo Mode Figures named the #1 selling toy in the Action Figures Class in 2019 and #4 in 2020. Launched in 2019, Jazwares’ Fortnite Jumbo Llama Piñata took retail by storm, claiming a spot in Target, TTPM, and The Toy Insider’s top toy lists that year, as well as winning best licensed product in the toys/games/novelties category at the International Licensing Awards. The Fortnite Llama Piñata was also the #1 selling item in Action Figures Playsets & Accessories for two consecutive years. Most recently, the Fortnite Deluxe Battle Bus, the first toy at retail to bring fans inside the iconic vehicle from the game, was named one of Target’s Top Toys for 2020 and was the #4 selling toy in Action Figures & Accessories in 2020.

“These toys and collectibles have opened up the action-packed world of Fortnite, adding a whole new level of detail that fans can connect to like never before,” said Laura Zebersky, President, Jazwares.

“Through the continually evolving 4-inch action figure universe and now the new 2-inch range, we are expanding collectibility to help fans build out the world of Fortnite. We are thrilled to be bringing these new, detailed micro scales to life for the first time, and look forward to working closely with Epic Games to continue growing fans’ Fortnite collections.

In addition to the new items being released in 2022, Jazwares has unveiled new action figures, R/C vehicles and more, set to rollout at retail through 2021.

Available now, Jazwares latest Fortnite toys include:

-Fortnite Legendary Series Figures - Brawlers Assortment ($24.99 each): Supercharge your Fortnite experience with the new Legendary Series Brawlers Assortment! Brawlers stand at about 7” tall adding a relative scale expression to the Legendary Series line. Brawlers are highly detailed and have 36 points of articulation.

The Brawlers figures are fitted with feature Weapons, Harvesting Tools, and more! This amazing assortment includes The Scientist, Meowscles, KIT, KIT (Shadow), Brutus and Cyclo.

-Fortnite Feature Vehicle –Choppa ($29.99): High ground just got a whole lot closer with the Fortnite Choppa feature vehicle! The Choppa is paired with the iconic 4” Blaze figure and a Legendary Assault Rifle. Over 17” long, there is room for seven 4-inch figures in the Choppa, so you can call your squad and join the fight! Activate the Turbo Boost light effect and spin the rotors to escape the storm! The Choppa is perfect for recreating Fortnite in real life—where will you drop?!

-Fortnite Agent’s Room ($24.99): Choose your faction: Ghost or Shadow?! With the Fortnite Agent Peely Agent’s Room 2 Figure Pack, you no longer have to choose!

This diorama includes both Agent Peely (Ghost) and Agent Peely (Shadow) 4” action figures! Both figures are highly-detailed and highly-articulated with over 25 points of articulation. Agent Peely comes equipped with a Grenade Launcher, Suppressed Sniper Rifle, and even an armchair accessory. Press the button on the floor to activate the secret passage, switch styles, and reveal the hidden back wall accessory rack. Hide and store your Weapons, Back Bling, and Harvesting Tools on the back wall of the playset to stay ready for battle!

This Fall, Jazwares will further expand its Fortnite offerings with three new vehicles: R/C Mudflap, Whiplash, and the Reboot Van feature vehicle. Inspired by vehicles unveiled in past game seasons to much excitement, this marks the first toy versions of these vehicles brought to retail. Fans can also look forward to the release of two new Fortnite Supply Llamas filled with a fan-favorite Outfit and the best gear from the game.

Fortnite is the completely free multiplayer game where you and your friends collaborate to create your dream Fortnite world or battle to be the last one standing. Fortnite and its Battle Royale and Creative modes are free and available on PC, Mac, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Switch and Android.

It's pity in some way, because only articulated  six inch figures I saw in my country were Jazwares Fortnite ones, whatever they do on international level is way better than whatever Hasbro does even though Hasbro holds big franchises. Which is counter intuitive since Hasbro is much bigger company yet they and Mattel absolutely suck in delivering more collector oriented figures to international markets all we get is  basic figures.

On 2/25/2021 at 5:07 PM, Mr_Scary92 said:

Jeez dude, you have to focus on getting other licenses, I have a feeling that we'll see this line having the same destiny of the Overwatch line.

There are well over 150+ Fortnite figures within the 4", 6", and 7" figure lines, so I don't see that happening. Well over half of those are 4" and McFarlane made 30+ 7" figs and has one more left. The rest go to Jazwares 6" and those numbers don't even include the smaller scales. All 3 lines are fantastic, and I always preferred McFarlane's line. They were just built better than the 6" line, and he definitely has the best Peely out of all of them. The 6" and 4" Peely are awful. The fact that 4" will continue makes me happy. That's a huge and varied line and they always release a massive amount of characters.

I haven’t bought any FortNite figures thus far unless you count the SnakeEyes collab but they look like fun and think I will buy a few of em soon, I’m more inclined to buy hasbro ones but like many of the 6” ones I see in stores, idk if they’re McFarlane or Jazwares or both but they look fun. 

The more I think about this, the more intrigued I get. One of the few problems I had with the Jazwares figures was that they were a little to focused on the more "eccentric" characters (Dogo, The Brat, P-1000), and not enough on the more "vanilla" characters (Jonesie, Havok, etc.). That's not a slam against the Jazwares line, it's great, but I wonder how Hasbro will divide up the line.