'Twisted Metal' Videogame Getting TV Adaptation

Outsiders

Sony Pictures Television and PlayStation Productions are developing Twisted Metal into a TV Adaptation.

The original tale comes from Deadpool writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick with Cobra Kai’s Michael Jonathan Smith writing the adaptation.

The first Twisted Metal video game was launched in 1995 and has spawned five more sequels for the PS One, PS2 and PS3.

The action comedy follows a motor-mouthed outsider offered a chance at a better life, but only if he can successfully deliver a mysterious package across a post-apocalyptic wasteland. With the help of a trigger-happy car thief, he’ll face savage marauders driving vehicles of destruction and other dangers of the open road, including a deranged clown who drives an all too familiar ice cream truck.

Will Arnett will executive  produce via his production company Electric Avenue, along with Marc Forman and Peter Principato/Artists First, Smith, Reese, Wernick, Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan.

Source: Deadline

Twisted_Metal.jpg

• Like 3

I have always loved twisted metal as a series as well as the car combat genre as a whole. I would much rather prefer this be a tie in to a new game coming out than a random show that just pops up after 5 years of the last game that came out. Sony doesnt exactly push out any new TM games like they do say uncharted, or any of their other iconic legacy game series. They love to tease with a guest of sweet tooth in random games but never a new iteration. The last one wasnt great but with the right direction, a new twisted metal could easily appeal to todays market while also having the nostalgia of veteran players. It would be perfect in todays online gaming esport market. I will of course check this show out, but what a weird choice. 

22 hours ago, Outsiders said:

The action comedy follows a motor-mouthed outsider offered a chance at a better life, but only if he can successfully deliver a mysterious package across a post-apocalyptic wasteland. With the help of a trigger-happy car thief, he’ll face savage marauders driving vehicles of destruction and other dangers of the open road, including a deranged clown who drives an all too familiar ice cream truck.

Since Death Race has been done. And done, and done, and done. I suppose this take on the material could work.

6 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I don't know how I feel about this, seems like kinda a hard concept to translate into TV without it being kinda corny and foolish, things like this give me shivers like Uwe Boll is in the room.

Honestly, every video game live action adaptation gives me this kind of feeling. They never follow the source material and they always use their "creative liberties". Why is it so hard to make whats already made but add in some cool elements/scenes and call it a day? 

1 hour ago, EvilHayato said:

Honestly, every video game live action adaptation gives me this kind of feeling. They never follow the source material and they always use their "creative liberties". Why is it so hard to make whats already made but add in some cool elements/scenes and call it a day? 

I can say I honestly agree with this, I never understood why it was so painstaking to translate a story on to a big screen, it happens throughout the industry, like even say comics..you have the script/storyboard already, why are you changing it for changing sake?, but video games suffer the most from the whole creative liberties effect, it always seems they are trying to make things less corny and it makes things more corny, the whole try too hard syndrome, it's a video game...except the details or don't bother, ease into the structure of the story..if you think making a movie about jumping plumbers killing mushrooms isn't enough of a story you can work with...don't.

12 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

I can say I honestly agree with this, I never understood why it was so painstaking to translate a story on to a big screen, it happens throughout the industry, like even say comics..you have the script/storyboard already, why are you changing it for changing sake?, but video games suffer the most from the whole creative liberties effect, it always seems they are trying to make things less corny and it makes things more corny, the whole try too hard syndrome, it's a video game...except the details or don't bother, ease into the structure of the story..if you think making a movie about jumping plumbers killing mushrooms isn't enough of a story you can work with...don't.

At least with newer movies, I feel like they are at least trying alittle harder and at least putting things that came from the games. They still are inept at portraying these licenses in live action but theres some semblance of the properties. I think the first Mortal Kombat is by far the best live action adaptation of a video game because you could see the heart that was put into it. It followed the source material fairly well while adding new elements that worked for it. Also that soundtrack was amazing. Uwe Boll is just a maniac that had no concept of reality in general. Sometimes I wonder if some of these game licenses for movie adaptations are just so cheap that they let anyone handle them. Im thinking of the travesty of the legend of chun li and how it seems like capcom was like here you go, just run wild and dont worry about the source material, have fun with it. 

4 hours ago, EvilHayato said:

At least with newer movies, I feel like they are at least trying alittle harder and at least putting things that came from the games. They still are inept at portraying these licenses in live action but theres some semblance of the properties. I think the first Mortal Kombat is by far the best live action adaptation of a video game because you could see the heart that was put into it. It followed the source material fairly well while adding new elements that worked for it. Also that soundtrack was amazing. Uwe Boll is just a maniac that had no concept of reality in general. Sometimes I wonder if some of these game licenses for movie adaptations are just so cheap that they let anyone handle them. Im thinking of the travesty of the legend of chun li and how it seems like capcom was like here you go, just run wild and dont worry about the source material, have fun with it. 

Hahaha pretty much nail on the head here, yeah I think really it all had more to do with capitalizing of the popularity of the names of these games more over anything, I'd imagine the whole board room meeting went sort like...okay people like Street Fighter if we make a movie titled that and have 2-3 characters the fans know, they will blindly pay ticket prices, once they watch the movie who cares if it got anything to do with the plot of the game, plus yeah I'd say it was the dawn of Video Game movies being made so the licenses were probably dirt cheap because they didn't have a long history of popularity in the mainstream media, most producers probably said..flash in the pan..okay cool let's go make a Duck Hunt movie why not.

18 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Hahaha pretty much nail on the head here, yeah I think really it all had more to do with capitalizing of the popularity of the names of these games more over anything, I'd imagine the whole board room meeting went sort like...okay people like Street Fighter if we make a movie titled that and have 2-3 characters the fans know, they will blindly pay ticket prices, once they watch the movie who cares if it got anything to do with the plot of the game, plus yeah I'd say it was the dawn of Video Game movies being made so the licenses were probably dirt cheap because they didn't have a long history of popularity in the mainstream media, most producers probably said..flash in the pan..okay cool let's go make a Duck Hunt movie why not.

I m still boggled they cast the dude from black eyed peas to play Vega.... and not even dress like a matador.. he was just pretty much playing himself with a mask and a claw.. it was so bad.. and on top of that, all the acting was bad. Fun story, I worked at a movie theatre at the time it came out and I screened it before hand.. about 85% in, the film burned up... ive screened countless movies before this and never have i seen that happen. We spliced it back and I kept 3 frames of the movie to commemorate the travesty that that film is. I d also like to know why the hell the Resident Evil movies were able to make so many yet the better amazing CG ones are barely even known about. Live action RE movies pretty much had nothing to do with the games aside from a few major characters from the games, getting sidekick cameos and nothing more. 

3 hours ago, EvilHayato said:

I m still boggled they cast the dude from black eyed peas to play Vega.... and not even dress like a matador.. he was just pretty much playing himself with a mask and a claw.. it was so bad.. and on top of that, all the acting was bad. Fun story, I worked at a movie theatre at the time it came out and I screened it before hand.. about 85% in, the film burned up... ive screened countless movies before this and never have i seen that happen. We spliced it back and I kept 3 frames of the movie to commemorate the travesty that that film is. I d also like to know why the hell the Resident Evil movies were able to make so many yet the better amazing CG ones are barely even known about. Live action RE movies pretty much had nothing to do with the games aside from a few major characters from the games, getting sidekick cameos and nothing more. 

Haha yeah I presume you are talking about that Chun-Li movie...and yes Taboo was Vega, *face palm* , you are spot on with this movie it was triddash, but can we just say at least Kristin Kreuk was Chun-Li, that's a good thing...to look at.

as for the Resident Evil movies, I mean yes they did take a lot of liberties, but I do like those movies and they do have a ton of nods (but you are right it is just side kicks and cameos), in fact I think they did their best in trying to give fans some service, I have a soft spot for those films, they are nowhere near the worst of the lot. I do think it's sad to say that most of the movies based on video games are horrendous things, and it doesn't always have to be that way.

2 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Haha yeah I presume you are talking about that Chun-Li movie...and yes Taboo was Vega, *face palm* , you are spot on with this movie it was triddash, but can we just say at least Kristin Kreuk was Chun-Li, that's a good thing...to look at.

as for the Resident Evil movies, I mean yes they did take a lot of liberties, but I do like those movies and they do have a ton of nods (but you are right it is just side kicks and cameos), in fact I think they did their best in trying to give fans some service, I have a soft spot for those films, they are nowhere near the worst of the lot. I do think it's sad to say that most of the movies based on video games are horrendous things, and it doesn't always have to be that way.

Kristin Kreuk was definitely nice to look at. She felt sleepy the whole time. I wonder if they just had some sweet fat checks and phoned it all in. 

The RE movies arent terrible, hell I enjoyed them for what they were. I had to turn off being a big resident evil fan to enjoy most of them tho. The first was good, it felt like a horror film and had a bangin soundtrack. After that they are just like heres our new OC Alice, shes so badass guys, watch her kick mutant/zombie butt in stylish and weird ways that dont always make sense physically. I enjoyed when theyd introduce a familiar character for them to just be in the background of Alice. Its certainly a far cry from the quality we had before them like the mario bros movie tho XD. If you havent watched the CG Resident Evil movies tho, I highly suggest checking them out. Their stories arent going to blow your mind but the feel much more Resident Evil than the live action ones. 

1 hour ago, EvilHayato said:

Kristin Kreuk was definitely nice to look at. She felt sleepy the whole time. I wonder if they just had some sweet fat checks and phoned it all in. 

The RE movies arent terrible, hell I enjoyed them for what they were. I had to turn off being a big resident evil fan to enjoy most of them tho. The first was good, it felt like a horror film and had a bangin soundtrack. After that they are just like heres our new OC Alice, shes so badass guys, watch her kick mutant/zombie butt in stylish and weird ways that dont always make sense physically. I enjoyed when theyd introduce a familiar character for them to just be in the background of Alice. Its certainly a far cry from the quality we had before them like the mario bros movie tho XD. If you havent watched the CG Resident Evil movies tho, I highly suggest checking them out. Their stories arent going to blow your mind but the feel much more Resident Evil than the live action ones. 

Yeah I have watched the CG Resident Evil movies and they are good, and pretty true to form, which makes me ask why can we get good animated Video Game movies...but then they lose control when it comes to live action.

4 hours ago, Lord_Scareglow said:

Yeah I have watched the CG Resident Evil movies and they are good, and pretty true to form, which makes me ask why can we get good animated Video Game movies...but then they lose control when it comes to live action.

The companies that did the CG movies have better vision and better direction. Live action movies, they hire directors with big visions of the property that have no real concept of the games and want to turn it into a different experience. They dont see doing the same story or retelling the games narrative as interesting. They see it as heres some interesting characters, the title alone sells tickets, lets make a new scenario thats kind of in that universe with our little tweaks and go ham on everything else. The CG productions are usually done in house or with a studio that knows where to take it. Tho honestly neither of the CG films had that great of a story and had very little to do with the games aside from the main characters put into a new scenario. But they felt like they could be side stories from the games themselves. 

Twisted Metal as a TV show

On 2/22/2021 at 5:29 PM, Outsiders said:

Will Arnett will executive  produce via his production company Electric Avenue, along with Marc Forman and Peter Principato/Artists First, Smith, Reese, Wernick, Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan.

Twisted_Metal.jpg

A live action....Action Comedy???....Hold on tight!!! Get ready I guess....

These guys  get paid a lot to"know". You wanted it and You got it!!! =^)

Me?......

I was looking more towards a "Twisted Metal" Cartoon...

Same Concept as above.....Only Difference...

Beavis and Butt-Head are the Stars!!!!

Mind you...I'm Just spit balling here =^)

Twisted Metal Live Action, Action Comedy.....

Just Great =^(

6 hours ago, ghostbogey said:

Twisted Metal Live Action, Action Comedy.....

Good eye, I didnt even fully read the description as I assumed they would take a normal approach to the property and actually do like a death race/ post apocalyptic type approach. Now I literally have no hope for it to be anything but cancelled. Why they gotta treat my boy so bad?! 

• 6 months later...

Anthony Mackie has signed on to star and executive produce Sony Pictures Television and PlayStation Productions’ Twisted Metal, a live-action adaptation of the popular video game.

Mackie will play the lead role of John Doe, who is a smart-ass milkman who talks as fast as he drives. With no memory of his past, he gets a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make his wish of finding community come true, but only if he can survive an onslaught of savage vehicular combat.

“We’re thrilled to have Anthony Mackie on board. His ability to blend comedy, action, and drama is perfect for the Twisted world we’re creating,” said Asad Qizilbash, head of PlayStation Productions.

“We’ve been big fans of Anthony’s phenomenal body of work over the years and knew he was the only actor who could play a character as complex, funny, and compelling as John Doe.  Fortunately for us, he agreed,” said Glenn Adilman, EVP Comedy Development at Sony TV.

Michael Jonathan Smith will write and executive produce with Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick attached to executive produce. Will Arnett and Marc Forman, through their production company Electric Avenue, will executive produce along with Peter Principato/Artists First. Mackie, his longtime manager Jason Spire from Inspire Entertainment, Qizilbash and Carter Swan (PlayStation Productions) and Hermen Hulst (head of PlayStation Studios) will also executive produce.

Anthony_Mackie.jpg

• Like 1

What?! He's the only actor who could play a character compelling and funny and complex as John Doe? Obviously they've never heard of his cast mate Don Cheadle. I get that you had to butter your guy up a little, but give some respect where respect is due. In all truth I love Mackie and I love Twisted Metal, let's just hope this thing is better than 90 percent of other video game adaptations that have been done. Something tells me Cheadle might have been approached, but being a bit older and more experienced and seeing how other video game movies have panned out in the past he had the sense to play this one by ear.

• 5 months later...

Peacock announced today the new action-comedy series TWISTED METAL, a live-action adaptation of the global video game phenomenon.

Anthony Mackie (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier) is starring and executive producing. Mackie plays John Doe, a smart-ass milkman who talks as fast as he drives. With no memory of his past, John gets a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to make his wish of finding community come true, but only if he can survive an onslaught of savage vehicular combat.

Will Arnett and Marc Forman from Electric Avenue (Murderville), who secured the rights to the material and helped put the project together from the beginning, are also set to executive produce.

Michael Jonathan Smith (Cobra Kai) will serve as showrunner, writer, and executive producer for the live-action comedy from Sony Pictures Television, PlayStation Productions, and Universal Television, a division of Universal Studio Group.

TWISTED METAL, a half-hour live-action TV series based on the classic PlayStation game series, is a high-octane action comedy, based on an original take by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Deadpool, Zombieland) about a motor-mouthed outsider offered a chance at a better life, but only if he can successfully deliver a mysterious package across a post-apocalyptic wasteland. With the help of a trigger-happy car thief, he'll face savage marauders driving vehicles of destruction and other dangers of the open road, including a deranged clown who drives an all too familiar ice cream truck.

"Twisted Metal has been a global phenomenon for more than 25 years but it was the creative vision for this live-action adaptation, led by Michael Jonathan Smith, Rhett Reese, and Paul Wernick, that blew us away. Also, Anthony Mackie starring made it undeniable!" said Lisa Katz, president scripted content, NBCUniversal Television, and Streaming. "This adrenaline-infused comedy series is in expert hands with our partners at Sony Pictures Television, PlayStation Productions, and Universal Television, and will be the perfect addition to Peacock as we continue to look for uniquely entertaining programs."

"We are thrilled that our first series with our good friends at Peacock is with our amazing partners at Electric Avenue, Universal Television, and colleagues at PlayStation Productions," said Jeff Frost, President, Sony Pictures Television Studios, and Jason Clodfelter, co-President, Sony Pictures Television Studios. "Michael Jonathan Smith and Rhett and Paul have ingeniously brought this high-action comedy to life and we are so fortunate to have Anthony at the center of the show. We look forward to this incredible team blowing audiences away with this twisted and inventive concept."

Asad Qizilbash, head of PlayStation Productions, said: "Twisted Metal is one of PlayStation's most beloved franchises. We are thrilled to have such an amazingly creative team and partners working together who have such passion for this iconic property. We can't wait for fans to see what we have planned for them."

Mackie has starred as Sam Wilson/The Falcon in multiple films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, most notably Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Captain America: Civil War, as well as the Avengers films. Mackie recently starred in the Disney+ miniseries The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. He will also appear as Captain America in the highly anticipated Captain America 4 film. In addition, his other credits include starring in Synchronic, Seberg, The Hurt Locker, and the hugely popular Outside the Wire, which he and Jason Spire produced for Netflix.

ABOUT THE SERIES:

Showrunner / Executive Producer / Writer: Michael Jonathan Smith (Cobra Kai)

Executive Producers: Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick (Deadpool, Zombieland), Will Arnett and Marc Forman (Electric Avenue), Jason Spire (Inspire Entertainment), Peter Principato (Artists First), Asad Qizilbash and Carter Swan from PlayStation Productions and Hermen Hulst, Head of PlayStation Studios

Executive Producer / Star: Anthony Mackie (Make It With Gravy Productions)

Produced by: Sony Pictures Television, PlayStation Productions, and Universal Television, a division of Universal Studio Group

Format: half-hour live-action comedy

• Like 1