NECA 1933 King Kong Figure

JayC

3 hours ago, Mr_Scary92 said:

Looks like someone threw random squirts of paint on its face. A kinda dull idea for a variant IMO.

It's painted exactly like the original movie poster. That's how it's colored, and it's pretty perfect. I have a 10' reproduction hanging in my entry hall, and they nailed the look. It's one of the all time great posters.

Again I puzzled by what NECA and similar companies bring to market. Things like this and Richard Simmons. Do they do any market research to see if they will make a profit on these figures? To me it seems it's more like "damn the torpedoes,full steam a head". Are people clamoring for a 1933 Kong? I gotta think that selling 50 of these is not worth the effort,while more popular and contemporary licences go overlooked. How is it that a company with a license like star trek wont make product saying that their research shows there is not enough demand while another company puts out 1933 Kong??? I would live to know how many Richard Simmons units were sold or that 70s painting guy, Bob something. I know I have posted about this more than once before but I am truly baffled each time a figure like this comes out and would love to know the process behind what gets produced and what does not, instead of speculating about it.

3 hours ago, Spack said:

Again I puzzled by what NECA and similar companies bring to market. Things like this and Richard Simmons. Do they do any market research to see if they will make a profit on these figures? To me it seems it's more like "damn the torpedoes,full steam a head". Are people clamoring for a 1933 Kong? I gotta think that selling 50 of these is not worth the effort,while more popular and contemporary licences go overlooked. How is it that a company with a license like star trek wont make product saying that their research shows there is not enough demand while another company puts out 1933 Kong??? I would live to know how many Richard Simmons units were sold or that 70s painting guy, Bob something. I know I have posted about this more than once before but I am truly baffled each time a figure like this comes out and would love to know the process behind what gets produced and what does not, instead of speculating about it.

I can see maybe a small interest in 1930's nostalgic characters like Kong. Maybe not a huge demand but some interest. As for Richard and Bob? No comment.

2 hours ago, silverback77346 said:

I can see maybe a small interest in 1930's nostalgic characters like Kong. Maybe not a huge demand but some interest.

I know, right? Sure, nearly a hundred years later they're still making movies about them, but who knew?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, silverback77346 said:

I can see maybe a small interest in 1930's nostalgic characters like Kong. Maybe not a huge demand but some interest. As for Richard and Bob? No comment.

Agreed. "Some interest". But is "some interest" enough to put a time and money investment to tooling this and bringing it to market and then reap a profit? Or is it that the NECA owner has F U money and he can do what he wants? If this is the case, I get it,but anything outside of that, I get dont get it. I'd love a contest to guess how many units will be sold. I dont think it would top 1000 but there is no way NECA would let us know the answer. Right now even more popular and contemporary licenses like BTTF are warming the shelves of all the Targets in my area. Hazmat suit Marty shelf counts have not dwindled since the 2nd week the hit the market. And that was an exclusive.

• Like 1

From my understanding the first one was based on the 1930s version too. More relevant than tmnt...think of it this way, will more adults watch the new King Kong movie or would they rather see a new tmnt movie? Anyway, it sold pretty well and this is just a variant based on the poster. This specific paint job is for a niche group of fans, but it’s not a whole line, just one figure. I’m sure it will sell enough to justify the production, they sculpted a King Kong body and really can’t do much with it other than this type of variant.

Id imagine it costs a WHOLE lot more to make a new sculpt than it is to just sell a repaint of an established sculpt... i mean hasbro loves reusing molds solely due to it saving them tons of money. How many Predator variants do we have now? How often have they used the same mold but just changed the paint apps or added a small amount of new accessories? I imagine that the first one sold well enough since kong and godzilla both have their loyal fanbases that span many decades. NECA knows this and is just using the tools theyve already made for an interesting paint app. Thats also their MO, they know how to reuse molds and apply some really interesting paint applications for some truly masterful pieces of art on an articulated figure. I personally think its a pretty good idea since its already based on the original design and they can do it, why not risk it if it doesnt cost them as much as the original figure to make and they can make money back from the sculpt itself even if its a small amount of people buying it. 

7 hours ago, EvilHayato said:

Id imagine it costs a WHOLE lot more to make a new sculpt than it is to just sell a repaint of an established sculpt... i mean hasbro loves reusing molds solely due to it saving them tons of money. How many Predator variants do we have now? How often have they used the same mold but just changed the paint apps or added a small amount of new accessories? I imagine that the first one sold well enough since kong and godzilla both have their loyal fanbases that span many decades. NECA knows this and is just using the tools theyve already made for an interesting paint app. Thats also their MO, they know how to reuse molds and apply some really interesting paint applications for some truly masterful pieces of art on an articulated figure. I personally think its a pretty good idea since its already based on the original design and they can do it, why not risk it if it doesnt cost them as much as the original figure to make and they can make money back from the sculpt itself even if its a small amount of people buying it. 

Ok, I get that. I did not realize it was a repaint and minimal or no tooling was necessary. Suffice to say I am not a Kong collector so I was not aware of this.

On 1/27/2021 at 1:40 AM, silverback77346 said:

LOL, probably not too many folks on here that grew up in the old black and white TV days. I doubt I would have watched the Munster's Tv show at all if I knew their faces were that funky blue color. And Superman's costume was really gray.

Black and White TV???....

Munster's TV show???

Whats that??? =^)

• Haha 1

Highly disappointed in the final packaging for this figure.  I was hoping for the same treatment that the Godzilla based on the old movie poster received.  The box for the Godzilla had the movie poster art on the box it self.  Showing off where the concept for the paint job came from.  This King Kong one on the other hand does not have the movie poster art on the box...  Come on Neca, you had one job! 

On 1/27/2021 at 2:46 PM, Lord_Scareglow said:

Something about this looks hideous, I can't quite put my finger on it, but let's just leave it at that, more weird figure release choices from Neca.

It's not weird, it's just that NECA has few options at this point beyond a deco like this or a grey scale which we'll probably get if this one sell well enough. They don't have the license to do anything related to the new Kong movie or the 1933 movie (and this is why they didn't use the original poster art this is based on for the packaging), so they gave us this in between colorized version based on an old magazine cover/poster. It's in that grey area that won't get them into trouble most likely.

On 1/28/2021 at 7:00 AM, Spack said:

Agreed. "Some interest". But is "some interest" enough to put a time and money investment to tooling this and bringing it to market and then reap a profit? Or is it that the NECA owner has F U money and he can do what he wants? If this is the case, I get it,but anything outside of that, I get dont get it. I'd love a contest to guess how many units will be sold. I dont think it would top 1000 but there is no way NECA would let us know the answer. Right now even more popular and contemporary licenses like BTTF are warming the shelves of all the Targets in my area. Hazmat suit Marty shelf counts have not dwindled since the 2nd week the hit the market. And that was an exclusive.

While people love the BTTF movies, I don't feel it's a property that many toy collectors want to buy. They're boring figs at the end of the day.