Could Super7 Be Planning A ThunderCats Thundertank?!?

JayC

11 minutes ago, DrLava said:

see the problem youre having is that you keep comparing super 7 and this particular toy to the wrong things. this item would be comparable to the sail barge or razor crest from haslab, not a mass produced batmobile designed for children. its a direct to consumer item made by a very, very small company with a ton of production and shipping issues.

and complaining about the price on a forum of adult collectors does absolutely nothing. tj and brian arent reading your post and saying "oh Batman1701 thinks we're overcharging, lets take a massive loss and charge way less." this isnt a movie whose production team intentionally leaks things to gauge audience feedback. again, another poor example. the only objections super 7 wants to hear is if they show design sketches and they have something done very wrong in regards to how the toy should look. 

That's nice that you think I have a problem. 😘 You'll forgive me if I continue to address my disagreement with the situation in whatever manner I see fit.
<P>
Your first paragraph actually kinda squarely walks into my point while completely missing it: Super7 absolutely COULD broaden their scope to reach a wider market.  The reason the sales numbers aren't there is because they DON'T.  And if that's their preferred business strategy, so be it.  But then to say "the price is so high because not many people will buy it" is reverse rationale.  Not many people will buy it because you keep your customer base small through pricing and limited scope.  Fine.  You do you Super7.  But don't be shocked that people complain the price is too high.

You really illustrated my point with the line about being in an "adult collector forum," I mean . . . last I checked, TNI was as much a general toy news site, not JUST adult collectibles.  Or we wouldn't SEE articles about Spin Masters or a lot of Mattel's output or the kids Ghostbusters line, etc, etc.  This would be an irrelevant side note, but it does speak to my point: Super7 has the same "adult only" mentality that you appear to display, when in point of fact, almost all of their products could SO easily be directed at a mass market, and especially to kids.  Upping visibility, increasing production, driving down costs through bulk, and making them TONS more money.  And THAT, THIS POINT SPECIFICALLY . . . is why I find the "the price is high because we won't sell many" point is flawed.  Because . . . they COULD.  And it would be better for EVERYONE.  But they're too laser-focused on the "adults only" position, and that costs them customers.
<P<P>>
As for the Sonic example, I believe you have likewise thoroughly missed that point.  It is not a case of "this is identical."  It was simply ONE example of "actually, sometimes complaints from potential customers DO effect company decisions." As noted, I had no assumptions that my complaints, in this venue, WILL do so.  Merely that, if enough complaints in are made in enough venues, the potential exists that they CAN change.  Which is a simple fact.
<P>
And finally . . . once again . . . don't particularly see why it's a problem for some people that others make their disapproval known, or that they will defend their position when challenged.  That's the nature of debate. 

But of course, you are always free to continue to disagree.  That's ALSO the nature of debate. :)<P>

16 minutes ago, DrLava said:

you should really google the company and then you'd see just how small their operation really is. expanding to the what you want this company to be requires massive amounts of money that they just dont have. they would need more staff, more equipment, and multiple manufactoring plants to reach the production levels you want them at. unless youre going to become an investor for them its definitely not possible.

clearly you dont have children. companies dont market toys to children anymore because thats not the customer base anymore. it hasnt been for many years. i also havent seen any articles about a kids ghostbusters line. what company makes that? and i never said anything about "adults only" or anything like that. read what was written, i said this is an adult collectors forum. meaning all of us posting here are grown adults that collect toys. 

and as for complaining about pricing, like i told you, wrong place. we cant help you with that and super 7 isnt reading this. feel free to email them though, im sure they'd love hearing from someone who cant afford their products and doesnt like how they run their company. you should definitely tell them how they should change their business model with the limited capital they have too. who knows they may offer you a job, i mean you seem to know how to make them extremely successful.

1) You do know that EVERY company starts out as a small company, and then grows from that, yes?  Just checking.  Yes, I'm well aware they're a 42-person firm that made $8mil last year.  I'm not going to waste time explaining here how small increases in advertising budgets and production runs can lead to exponential jumps in income, that's just Business 101.
<P>
2) Man, I guess I missed that no toy company anywhere sells toys for kids anymore.  Someone should tell the toy industry that . . . .
<P>
3) The Ghostbusters kids line?  That would be Hasbro.  You know, that company that makes Titans Heroes and 5-POA figures and simplified Transformers and Hero Mashers . . . NOT aimed at kids, 'cuz as established, no one markets toys for kids.
<P>
4) An open, public toy forum is not the place to express an opinion.  Got it!
<P>
Have a lovely day!

8 hours ago, JayC said:

I dont remember if they offered payment options on Snake Mountain or not. My guess it would be more like a layaway kind of thing where you break up payments and have it completed by a certain period of time.

Oh ok... I will check with one of the Youtubers that posted video review for it...

11 minutes ago, DrLava said:

you also missed what was written. again. i wrote, "companies dont market toys to children anymore". somehow you misread that though and made up what you wanted somebody else to say. again.

Uh . . . you mean THIS Gostbusters toyline that Hasbro isn't making?
<P>
https://news.toyark.com/2020/02/21/hasbro-ghostbusters-toy-fair-2020-preview-information-and-images-379507
<P>
Also, you mean THESE hero mashers that Hasbro doesn't sell?
<P>
https://shop.hasbro.com/en-us/product/avengers-hero-mashers-captain-america-vs-iron-skull:126F418F-5056-9047-F528-6C2B7A32C903
<P>
Also, do you not know that when you sell children's toys in retail store toy aisles, you market toys to kids?  Like, are you unaware of what marketing is?
<P>
Also, are you so obsessed with proving me wrong that you're going to keep saying dumber stuff for me to prove you wrong about?
<P>
Actually, scratch that part, I don't actually care anymore.  Haven't for hours, but I thought your latest replies were too funny.  Post whatever you want, I'm sure you'll have plenty to be bothered about, and I'll be in your head for at least long enough for you to post something snide and pointless in your next response. *LMAO* Have a great life!

5 hours ago, JayC said:

Super7 today released our first look at the boxart done by Jason Edmiston for the upcoming ThunderCats 7" scale Ultimates Thundertank

Thundertank-Boxart-01.jpg

Wish the actual size was like that. Maybe the price wouldn't be as high.

• Thanks 1

2) Now, let's get to the REAL heart of the issue, which (again, if you did watch the video) Brian DIRECTLY AND OPENLY ADMITS: the reason the price is so high is because they're barely making a handful of them.  Because of the SAME OLD EXCUSE that TunderCats has been flogged with for over a decade now: "ThUnDeRcAtS dOnT sElL!!!1!"
<P>
Brian readily acknowledges that, if they produced a higher run of ThunderTanks, they could sell for way less per unit, say into the $350 or $250 range (which is exactly what I said this vehicle should cost).  However, he claims that the reason they can't do that is because they simply don't have the customer base for that volume.  Which is true . . . BECAUSE THEIR FIGURES COST $50 EACH.
<P>
This reasoning is INCREDIBLY disingenuous, because it basically blames the fans for the price, and flatly refuses to acknowledge Super7's own culpability OR the years of mismanagement to which the brand has been subjected to by EVERY company.
<P>
- It's the reason WB and Cartoon Network gave for why TC2011 failed. "THEY DON'T SELL!" Had nothing to do with the fact that they completely retooled the entire premise so it was nearly unrecognizable to original fans (it was excellent, don't get me wrong, but it was a harder sell), barely advertised, shuffled the time slot constantly before burying it on Friday nights, released episodes incredibly inconsistently, licensed the toys to friggin' BAN-DAI of all companies, and finally just washed their hands of the whole thing after only a year.

Yes, the figures are $50 because of things beyond their control. They have to make money at the end of the day and they have to make a certain percentage of profit compared to the overall cost per unit, so they price something at a certain point to recoup the cost of making the item and then they mark it up a certain percentage to insure they make the amount of profit required to justify the item. This is how every company operates in the toy industry and most other industries that exist. The TC figs are $55 because of an increase in cost of living which includes inflation and an increase in the price of materials (which is also due to inflation among other things).

These higher priced items are made to order, so if 5,349 people preorder the tank then they make 5,349 tanks. They know roughly how many tanks they'll probably sell and I'm sure it's not based on the number of people that buy TC figures. It's a percentage that I'm sure some statistician came up with based on tried and true methods that they trust in, so there's probably an industry standard percent of X percent of customers who buy vehicles like this vs. much cheaper retail options that cost a tenth of the cost. At the end of the day they aren't blaming fans for anything. If you want to blame someone then blame China, since the $10 increase in price is due to everything over there going up. 

EVERYONE needs to prepare for this hobby to get very expensive from here on out and including regular retail options. COVID and COVID relief checks in the USA have resulted in a massive shortage in the workforce which leads to less product being able to be made and also results in a decrease in the stuff used to make the toys we buy. The relief checks aren't free when you look at the big picture, and they will have to be paid for in the future which is where major league inflation comes into play. When it finally happens we'll be looking at major increases in the price of food, gas, and everything else, so $7 per gallon gas or $7 dollar gallons of milk and equivalent increases in everything else aren't out of the question. Around 2/3 to 3/4 of all USA currency (physical money) was printed in the last year which is just frickin' nuts, so we're gonna be wham, bam, thank you ma'am'd at some point in the not too distant future. It has already started with gas going up a quarter since Biden took office (because oil companies knew he would jack with them so they increased prices to stockpile extra cash and what do you know but he shutdown that pipeline and banned fracking on federal land and 70,000 to 80,000 jobs disappeared overnight and all of those people belonged to unions that supported Biden, so there's a bit of voter remorse going on in that world which I find funny because they were warned of this leading up to the election).  Anyway, it's coming and you may have to make some financial decisions about what you want to collect at some point. My point is things go up for a reason, and it isn't the fans not buying it that is the problem.

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2021 at 11:28 PM, DrLava said:

hasbro never made a ghostbusters kids line of toys. hasbro has only made the plasma collection line of figures so far since acquiring the ghostbusters license and thats not a kids line. 

and it seems youre completely unaware of marvel legends and star wars black series. you know, their highly successful lines of 15-30 poa figures aimed at adult collectors. 

its 2021, not 2010. hasbro hasnt made a new masher figure in quite a few years. but when you do finally catch up to the future we'll all be here waiting for you.

Hasbro is making a kids line, just hasnt been released yet due to the movie delay. We say it at Toy Fair last year.

• Thanks 1

Super7 has released official images for their upcoming ThunderCats Ultimates Thundertank.

The tank will cost $450 + shipping which here in the US will be a $40 flat rate. Pre-orders open up today on Super7.com and will go until April 2, 2021. Expected delivery Q1 2022.

The rear tank panel opens to fit 4 figures and the included gun station, while the front panel opens to fit a driver and a passanger.

The tank is also now available for pre-order from our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com

Thundertank-15.jpg

Thundertank-14.jpg

Thundertank-13.jpg

Thundertank-12.jpg

Thundertank-11.jpg

Thundertank-10.jpg

Thundertank-09.jpg

Thundertank-08.jpg

Thundertank-07.jpg

Thundertank-06.jpg

Thundertank-05.jpg

Thundertank-04.jpg

Thundertank-03.jpg

Thundertank-02.jpg

Thundertank-01.jpg

Thundertank-16.jpg

Thundertank-17.jpg

Thundertank-18.jpg

Thundertank-19.jpg

Thundertank-20.jpg

Thundertank-21.jpg

Thundertank-22.jpg

Thundertank-23.jpg

Thundertank-24.jpg

Thundertank-25.jpg

Thundertank-26.jpg

Thundertank-27.jpg

Thundertank-28.jpg

Thundertank-29.jpg

Thundertank-30.jpg

Thundertank-31.jpg

Thundertank-32.jpg

Thundertank-33.jpg

Thundertank-34.jpg

Thundertank-35.jpg

• Thanks 1

Here's what I'm seeing the cost breakdown as being through Super7's website:

Payment Plan Total USD $545.13

ThunderCats ULTIMATES! Vehicle - ThunderTank
Subtotal $450.00
Thundertank Flat (shipping) $40.00
Payment Plan Fee (Ca) $22.50
State Tax $32.63
Order Total

$545.13

Down Payment due today $185.34
Remaining Balance $359.79
Balance paid in 2 months
Frequency 1 month
Number of payments 2
Payment amount USD $179.90
You can't change the amount of months to pay over time =/ And BBTS looks exactly the same, only you have to pay everything all at once:

ThunderCats Ultimates Thundertank

Estimated to arrive 1st Quarter 2022
Requires down payment of $50.00
Qty:
Price
$499.99
Subtotal
$499.99
Estimated Shipping:
$4.00
Estimated Tax:
$43.14
Pre-order Total:
$547.13
Required Down Payment Due Now:
$50.00
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DiscoCougar said:

Here's what I'm seeing the cost breakdown as being through Super7's website:

Payment Plan Total USD $545.13

ThunderCats ULTIMATES! Vehicle - ThunderTank
Subtotal $450.00
Thundertank Flat (shipping) $40.00
Payment Plan Fee (Ca) $22.50
State Tax $32.63
Order Total

$545.13

Down Payment due today $185.34
Remaining Balance $359.79
Balance paid in 2 months
Frequency 1 month
Number of payments 2
Payment amount USD $179.90

You can't change the amount of months to pay over time =/ And BBTS looks exactly the same, only you have to pay everything all at once:

ThunderCats Ultimates Thundertank

Estimated to arrive 1st Quarter 2022
Requires down payment of $50.00
Qty:
Price
$499.99
Subtotal
$499.99
Estimated Shipping:
$4.00
Estimated Tax:
$43.14
Pre-order Total:
$547.13
Required Down Payment Due Now:
$50.00

Nice breakdown and thanks for sharing...😀👍

• Thanks 1

Much like Grayskull, the upcoming Snake Mountain and Hasbro's Sentinel, I just don't see there being any problem getting this thing funded. My issue is not money, or desire to have the thing, I just flat out don't have space for these things, as awesome as they may be. Good on those people who can, but I've gone from a room in my house to a fair half of the family recreation garage and I still have no room to spare. Damn, I wish I did though. This is the one everyone always wanted as a kid.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zerzar999 said:

Much like Grayskull, the upcoming Snake Mountain and Hasbro's Sentinel, I just don't see there being any problem getting this thing funded. My issue is not money, or desire to have the thing, I just flat out don't have space for these things, as awesome as they may be. Good on those people who can, but I've gone from a room in my house to a fair half of the family recreation garage and I still have no room to spare. Damn, I wish I did though. This is the one everyone always wanted as a kid.

Same here and that's why I done have their Castle Grayskull nor the Snake Mountain... I'm still thinking where I will be able to display the Thundertank if I get onboard with the pre-order...🤔

• 3 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, JayC said:

ThunderCats Hooooo! Brian Flynn of Super7 walks you through the enormous made-to-order dream that is ThunderTank and its features.

Pre-Order details (including International partners) for ThunderTank are at this link: https://preorder.super7store.com/coll...

Super7-Thundertank-01.jpg

Super7-Thundertank-02.jpg

I saw the video and it looks good...😀✌️

$550 is just too much for this. I love thundercats and bought the Savage World Thundercats figures awhile back. I have the Classics Greyskull and Super7 Snake Mountain playset, as well as the Jabba Sailbarge. 

I feel like I got so much more out of those playsets, then this vehicle. I'm sure its in scale for the 6" Thundercats figures, but for my purpose I was looking to upgrade my vintage Thundertank so I could fit my Savage Thundercats figures in it. I think this vehicle would be too big for my use.

Besides that, the rubber treads are a big mistake for Super7.

I think they had the target price of $500 first and worked backwards to create the vehicle and features to fit that budget, so they included anything they could to come in budget and justify it for $500.

But honestly, I would buy this at the $250-300 range. It just seems like Super7 was not interested in considering that price range.

• 4 weeks later...
Super7 today announced that they will be including a Samoflange with their new Ultimates ThunderCats Thundertank vehicle. If you don't know what that is, well it's basically a Thunderian wrench Panthro was often seen using to fix the Thundertank with.

The Thundertank which measures over 27” long and 17" wide is available for pre-order now on the Super7 website until April 2, 2021. The cost is $450.

samoflange02.jpg

Tank1.jpg

Tank2.jpg

Tank3.jpg

Tank4.jpg

Tank4.jpg

00samoflange01.jpg

• Thanks 1