G.I. Joe Classified 6" Duke Getting A Running Change Deco Variant Version From Hasbro

JayC

Shown below is an image first discovered by Dan Atwood who says he got it from someone on a Facebook page, (sorry we aren't sure the original source of the image). Dan says the person who took this image got the figure from Amazon. In the image we see a new G.I. Joe Classified 6" Duke figure from Hasbro that features an updated paint deco.

New Variant Paint Deco G.I. Joe Classified Duke Figure From Hasbro
Duke-Variant__scaled_600.jpg

The red on the shoulders and gloves have been removed, the knee pads and shin guards are now silver as opposed to gold, and the gold on the riffle has been removed. Not sure why they left the gold on the pistol, but whatever.

Original G.I. Joe Classified Duke Figure From Hasbro
Duke-V1___scaled_600.jpg

Since the image surfaced for this unannounced variant, I've been doing some checking. First let me say this is 100% a legit figure. From what I can tell this is being done as a running change type of variant. Meaning as retailers and etailers order new stock of the Duke figure, instead of getting the original one they will now get this updated version.

I can't speak for all retailers since I don't know what kind of inventory they are sitting on, but I can confirm that if you pre-order the G.I. Joe Classified Duke from our sponsor BigBadToyStore.com now, you will get the new version, not the old one. Hasbro (as I type this) has not yet sent out updated images, which is why everyone is still shows images of the original figure.

New official images of the updated Duke should be coming soon. Hasbro seems to have just kind of sprung this updated version on retailers, likely due to fan demand to have characters look more like their original counterparts.

Paint Deco Variant G.I. Joe Classified Scarlett Figure From Hasbro
GIJoe-Classified-Wave-3-02__scaled_600.jpg

Paint Deco Variant G.I. Joe Classified Roadblock Figure From Hasbro
GIJoe-Classified-Wave-3-03__scaled_600.jpg

The same goes for the Scarlett and Roadblock figures from wave 1. As retailers get new stock of those, it will be the updated versions that we originally reported as coming in wave 3 with the Zartan and the Cobra Trooper. I am told that some of the original Roadblock figures are still shipping from Hasbro, so getting an original of that one will likely be easier than the

Duke and Scarlett.

If you have the original Duke, Scarlett and even Roadblock figures that were initially released, then you may want to hold on to them. They are likely going to be harder to come by as time goes one since the initial stock stores order of those was seemingly low. As popularity grows for the line and stores scramble to restock the original wave 1 figures, they are going to be getting the updated deco versions which hopefully should be easier to get. You can see on Amazon the figure now says (Deco may vary).

Amazon listing for Duke that says Deco May Vary
Screen-Shot__scaled_600.jpg

Someone like Amazon may still have a mix of new and older inventory, so its a crap shoot on which version you end up getting. Until updated images are released, you may want to check with the etailer on which version they will be sending you if you want to make sure what version you are going to get.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Mr_Scary92 said:

Oh, that's great...I have a suggestion for Hasbro: what about take some of the figures previously released as Target exclusives, yeah those that many people have not been able to get, slightly modify the decoration as well and offer them this time around as part of the regular line rather than offering the figures most people already have again.

Well to be fair, they are doing that starting with the Cobra Trooper, and I have heard quit a few people complain about never having seen wave 1 on shelves. So this is an opportunity to bring in additional people who might have missed out on the initial figures, plus Hasbro can say look we are making them look more like their original counterparts.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, iRandom said:

Almost looks like a cost reduction since it seems like there are less paint application steps and colors. I do think that the figure looks better this way.

Or another lame excuse to rerelease a figure that's already been done once. Less work that way.

I like the Figure this way and yes Hasbro making the figures look more like the original colors as many mentioned before in complaint's to Hasbro... Lenny and his team are making the changes necessary for this new year which is a great. I really hope that at the middle of this year we get rerelease figures from Target at all major retailers/retailers...

22 hours ago, mako said:

Or another lame excuse to rerelease a figure that's already been done once. Less work that way.

It's not a re-release and even if it were it's a necessary one to make the entire line have consistent paint. They were obviously wanting to go with a flashier paint scheme and when the primary audience complained, they made the change on all post-series 1 figs and are now changing the first wave. Stop complaining when it's a good thing, and if you don't like it then don't buy it. I think I'll buy two of this one now and give it away. Thanks for providing the reason to do so.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
A couple weeks ago we first told you how Hasbro was going to be phasing out the original wave 1 G.I. Joe Classified figures with ones that had updated paint decos.

Hasbro has now released official images for the updated Duke, Scarlett and Roadblock figures which you can check out below. We should note the Snake-Eyes shown here appears to still be the original version. We've seen reports there is a variant of

Snake-Eyes with very minor changes. The little red dot on his forehead has been removed and the knife he comes with is now packed in the sheath located on his leg as opposed to packed separately. This is likely due to the fact many of the original Snake-Eyes figures had a problem with the knife fitting properly in the sheath. Destro as far as I know is exactly the same as the original version which isn't surprising since that one was near perfect anyway.

The original wave 1 figures are being phased out so as retailers get new inventory in for these figures, look for them to have the new versions, not the original ones. I believe the new versions are already starting to show up at retail

You can pre-order the new versions now at our sponsor BigBadToyStores.com.

Redeco-04.jpg

Redeco-05.jpg

Redeco-06.jpg

Redeco-07.jpg

Redeco-08.jpg

Redeco-09.jpg

Redeco-01.jpg

Redeco-02.jpg

Redeco-03.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, mako said:

Hey, I wonder if we can get series 2 redecoed?

What was series 2, Gung Ho, CC and Red Ninja?  I'm already loosing track.

Gung Ho could easily be redone in the the more classic teal color.

For CC and Red Ninja, just give them slightly different shades of blue and red respectively (add hooded head option to CC for guaranteed sales).

• Thanks 1

in my case i am definitely alright with getting either original wave 1 Snake eyes and Scarlett or the recently redecoed ones, either way they're two of my most gets nowdays lol

They probably won't redeco any other waves. The first wave featured those horrible metallic gold and silver colors and lots of bright colors that didn't fit, so the future waves were quickly changed before they ever were released. That's why none of them feature these same issues other than perhaps Cobra Commander, but it works for him more than the others.

There is No reason for anyone who wants these figures, not to be able to acquire them...  Unless you have to find them in the stores, then yes they are still a bit hard to find, but pop up here and there.  Online on the other hand, is a whole another ball game!  They are readily available...  Snake Eyes, Destro and Red Ninja sell for a bit more than retail though.  I wish these figures would be more abundant like Fortnite figures, per say. 

• Thanks 1