Quintessa Swindell To Play 'Cyclone' In DC's ''Black Adam'

Outsiders

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Quintessa Swindell has been picked to play the role of Cyclone in the action-adventure thriller Black Adam featuring the DC Comics anti-hero starring Dwayne Johnson.

Johnson iis playing the titular anti-hero, one of DC’s most popular characters, with the movie project introducing members of the Justice Society, historically DC’s precursor to the Justice League and having a multi-generational super-powered lineage.  Co-starring in the project is Aldis Hodge as Hawkman and Noah Centineo as Atom Smasher. Additionally, Sarah Shahi has supporting role.

In the comics, Cyclone is Maxine Hunkell, the granddaughter of the original Red Tornado, a female character introduced in 1940. The more well-known Red Tornado was created decades later and is an android with wind-related powers. Cyclone has wind and sound-generating powers.

Jaume Collet-Serra is directing with the latest script written by Rory Haines and Sohrab Noshirvani.  Johnson, Dany Garcia and Hiram Garcia of Seven Bucks Productions are producing with Beau Flynn of FlynnPictureCo. FlynnPictureCo’s Scott Sheldon will serve as executive producer.

Quintessa_Swindell_Cyclone.jpg

• Like 1

"Cutting out a man's tongue doesn't prove him a liar; it proves you fear what he has to say." 

Red haired people have been discriminated against for centuries, and now red haired actors and actresses are missing out on roles they were born to play.

#gingererasure

Barbara Gordon 

James Gordon

James Olson

James Harper

Roy Harper

Koriander

Hank Hall

Maxine Hunkell

What does DC have against redheads? 

And before anyone says anything, I don't like it when they miscast black, Asian, or Hispanic characters, either. It doesn't happen as often, but it DOES happen. While I enjoy Vinny Jones' performance in "Arrow", his character was supposed to be African-American. And just yesterday I saw that Netflix is working on a live action reboot of Winx Club, and they cast white actresses as the Asian and Latina characters. I don't like that.

8 hours ago, Mangle77 said:

Barbara Gordon 

James Gordon

James Olson

James Harper

Roy Harper

Koriander

Hank Hall

Maxine Hunkell

What does DC have against redheads? 

And before anyone says anything, I don't like it when they miscast black, Asian, or Hispanic characters, either. It doesn't happen as often, but it DOES happen. While I enjoy Vinny Jones' performance in "Arrow", his character was supposed to be African-American. And just yesterday I saw that Netflix is working on a live action reboot of Winx Club, and they cast white actresses as the Asian and Latina characters. I don't like that.

LOL, perhaps no red haired actresses auditioned for the role or maybe even if they did, the person they choose just overall did a better acting job to get the part. Honestly its hard to tell if your just trying to stir the pot an get people riled up over something that is traditionally a hot button issue or what, but I don't think there is a Hollywood conspiracy against red haired people.

Either way though and this goes for everyone, if you can't be civil to one another your posts will be deleted, and you can state an opinion about the topic at hand and move on if you don't think you can handle having a discussion without attacking one another.

• Like 1

This movie seems determined to put together the best cast from the best interested/capable set of actors/actresses period.  I'm am excited as hell for it.  

Just like RR is Deadpool..the Rock IS Black Adam...this is his role.

Again, I'm glad to see more oversite on sideways comments...they need to stop because it's getting out of hand. 

Bruh I'm just gonna leave it there because I think JayC covered it perfectly (and I don't want to pick low hanging fruit), but if you want it your way:

Back issues are there for the picking

You can go watch Superfriends or some other DCU cartoon/show.

That's not shade...it just really is that simple.  I don't expect everyone to like everything. The wonderful thing about this fandom is that if a movie "fails" someone...the original medium (or an older one) usually gives people what they want.

I'm hoping now that with Marvel moving more to Disney plus...DC can make a good showing on the big screen.  Black Adam looks like it could be it.  He looks like he's supposed to look, Hawkman is perfect, Red Tornado  (at best 3rd or 4th tier character) may get some good attention now, Atom Smasher is going to be on point.  This could be a film DC (outside of WW) can take to the bank. A film like this benefits the fandom period.  It may open the door for Static and Milestone.  We could get John Stewart, Simon Baz.  Endless possibilities and I'm there, especially is companies show that they see people who look like me are just as much fans as anyone else

16 hours ago, JayC said:

LOL, perhaps no red haired actresses auditioned for the role or maybe even if they did, the person they choose just overall did a better acting job to get the part. Honestly its hard to tell if your just trying to stir the pot an get people riled up over something that is traditionally a hot button issue or what, but I don't think there is a Hollywood conspiracy against red haired people.

Either way though and this goes for everyone, if you can't be civil to one another your posts will be deleted, and you can state an opinion about the topic at hand and move on if you don't think you can handle having a discussion without attacking one another.

I can be civil, but only if my First Amendment rights are respected. That means not deleting my posts for pointing out the hypocrisy in the entertainment industries claims of diversity and inclusion, when what they've actually been doing is EXCLUDING long time fans. 

Ask yourself this: Does the actor/actress bear even a PASSING resemblance to the character on the page? If not, then they were chosen for Twitter Brownie points, not because they were the best choice. 

Cyclone is a relatively new character. She's been in less than 200 issues, and hasn't been seen since before Flashpoint. It's not nostalgia that makes me want a redhead to play her, I just really like redheads.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/cyclone/4005-31964/

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson is perfect for Black Adam. But every time Hollywood replaces a redhead with... NOT a redhead, it feels like an already small number of people has gotten even smaller. I said it before, I'll say it again; the red hair gene is a benign genetic mutation that occurs in less than 1% of the world's population. To me, that's a minority that could use more representation. 

Last post I'll be making in this thread. I've said my peace.

5 hours ago, Mangle77 said:

I can be civil, but only if my First Amendment rights are respected. That means not deleting my posts for pointing out the hypocrisy in the entertainment industries claims of diversity and inclusion, when what they've actually been doing is EXCLUDING long time fans.

Believe me when I tell you I have better things to do than deleting comments, but these are privately owned message boards and first amendment rights don't apply. I have every right to moderate these boards the way I see fit, just as you have every right to not come here and post if you don't like how I moderate my boards. You also have every right to go start your own message boards and scream at the top of your lungs about whatever injustices you see happening in the world. I have no problem with civil discussions even if it's about red heads, hence why your latest comment remains, but I am not going to have discussions hijacked for your or anyone's own personal agenda whatever it may be. You've stated your opinion on the subject which is fine, but don't expect people to necessarily agree with you and be willing to move on if they don't.

That goes for everyone. Mangle has their right to their opinion. You don't have to agree with it and if you can do it in a civil manner you can even discuss it further or if you can't then ignore it and move on, but attacks will be deleted or edited, and if that makes you mad your best not to post at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1